My take on the 2014 Cadillac CTS - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
2014+ Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, My take on the 2014 Cadillac CTS in Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+; Are you equating a $600 ipad to a $60,000 car?...
    ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Re: My take on the 2014 Cadillac CTS

Are you equating a $600 ipad to a $60,000 car?

RGaret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Of course not. My point is that just because it's better, doesn't mean it has to cost so much more. The 2G CTS V was priced the way it was because it had M5 performance for an M3 price. It was better than an M5 and it also cost less. And mine was $74k, but after all was said and done, I got it for $60k, brand new.

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)
    Why is the Corvette C7 which is much improved over the C6 priced moderately higher? Like CTS it competes against much higher priced vehicles like Porsche 911. If you use the Cadillac pricing strategy Corvette should start around 80k but they kept the price in line and they are selling everyone they can build.

My son agrees with you.

----------

I posted another picture on previous post.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Quote Originally Posted by RGaret View Post
    I disagree with this argument. When Lexus debuted in the 80’s they charged a lot less than their peers for the same level of luxury and refinement. There's nothing wrong with a good value. If Cadillac increased prices a little bit, no one would care. As far as paying for the latest technology goes, does Apple increase the price on every new iPad? No, they don't. They just make the older one cheaper. Even the new S class Merc is cheaper than the outgoing model and it too is a huge leap forward. Once all of the 13s are gone then we will see how much if a hit they have on their hands.
    And guess what? Lexus now competes on the same pricing structure as similar Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes and Audi models. Cadillac already sold cars that were considerably cheaper than their counterparts and they are now moving into new territory. FYI I'm expecting sales of the '14 CTS to be half the volume the 2nd Gen car did. But this car is also much more expensive and competing in harder territory. I'm sure Cadillac knows and expects this.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Nice
    You have to put them in or start a separate gen3 CTS owners pic thread so they dont get lost here.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by blankster View Post
    And I quote from above "the price jump in CTS was similar to the price jump from gen 1 to gen 2, and i'm sure there was similar complaining, but gen 2 went on to be a hit. i'm sure more that a few CTS owners replaced their cars with ATS, and those looking for more will step up to CTS which is more or less an STS replacement. as long as there is good leasing, the price will be less of an issue."

2007 CTS 3.6 $32,785.00 Gen 1
    2008 CTS 3.6 $35,975.00 Gen 2

Looks like $3190.00 to me which is roughly Gen 2 to Gen 3 should be not 10-12K.
    2007 Base CTS = $29,925......2007 Then equivalent to Premium CTS = $38,885
    2008 Base CTS = $34,975......2008 Premium CTS = $45,640

your numbers are wrong the real spread is $5050 to $6755 from base to premium in 2007 that was huge, and i saw many a buyer looking to upgrade but were stuck because of that price hurdle the new jump is $6035 to $13,540 base to Premium a less than 1k difference on the low end seems pretty comparable in 2013 and on the high end a $13,540 jump is ginormous but the car is simply at new heights. remember the 2008 CTS premium didn't have Bluetooth, magnetic ride, driver assist technology, 8 speed transmission,, LCD cluster, 20 way seats, sunshades, automatic braking, etc....granted some of this is progress, but allot is just higher level of content which has a cost. Having compared the equipment level at $57,400 the gen3 Performance has everything the gen2 premium had and then some with a jump in price of $8215 again comparing 2007 to 2013 that is a very similar price increase, the gen3 premium is basically another level on top and v-sport yet another added level.

I think your numbers got mixed up because of the engine in gen1 the base engine was a 2.8 v6 and in gen2 the base engine was a 3.6 NON-DI engine, so you were comparing a higher end gen1 to a lower end gen2.....so sorry the previous jump was not $3190 nor is the current $10 to $12k.

----------

I disagree with this argument. When Lexus debuted in the 80’s they charged a lot less than their peers for the same level of luxury and refinement. There's nothing wrong with a good value. If Cadillac increased prices a little bit, no one would care. As far as paying for the latest technology goes, does Apple increase the price on every new iPad? No, they don't. They just make the older one cheaper. Even the new S class Merc is cheaper than the outgoing model and it too is a huge leap forward. Once all of the 13s are gone then we will see how much if a hit they have on their hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    And guess what? Lexus now competes on the same pricing structure as similar Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes and Audi models. Cadillac already sold cars that were considerably cheaper than their counterparts and they are now moving into new territory. FYI I'm expecting sales of the '14 CTS to be half the volume the 2nd Gen car did. But this car is also much more expensive and competing in harder territory. I'm sure Cadillac knows and expects this.
    Agreed, Cadillac is moving up a rung each time, they definitely know this will sell at a lower volume, ....volume is what the ATS is for.... if the same amenities for cheaper was what defines luxury then Lexus/Acura/Infinity would have toppled the Germans in the 80's , and the Hyundai equus and genesis would today instead Hyundai is forgotten in these ranks and the Japanese makes are having various levels of success but havent changed the status quo

the comparison to apple is also a little off, because they are the top luxury electronics maker, they are Mercedes and BMW with their high prices they don't need to raise them, Cadillac is more like Samsung right now with android, playing spoiler to apple.

I think Cadillac is on an interesting trajectory, and i hope they pull it off, they call themselves the "standard of the world" i think prematurely but should they arrive at that pinnacle good for Cadillac....i cant wait to see people heads spin when they see a $100K Escalade next year

got to drive all the new CTS against the Mercedes and BMW competition today. the v-sport is really fast, and is really light on its feet it's really like ats with the volume turned way up pretty awesome.

e550 was really nice, but the polar opposite of v-sport it's focus is luxury, great acceleration, and braking but not as good as the Cadillac and the cabin is higher it felt like you were sitting on a taller seat rather than down in one like the Cadillac the interior was nicely put together and high quality but it all felt not as nice to the touch as the other cars the wood steering wheel was beautiful but felt cheap because of the super glossy lacquer and the mercs wheel was slippery but had a cool flat bottom. Cadillac can hold its head up high cabin for cabin, overall the Mercedes splits the difference between the XTS V-Sport and CTS V-Sport I really liked it but it's not as sporty

550i cabin is great and the instrument cluster is way nicer than the standard cluster in the Cadillac and so is the radio screen it has beautiful graphics really well done it makes cue look cartoony but configurable LCD cluster the Cadillac has is better and more capable, the BMW cabin is a serious place everything gave off the air of purpose the seat is really nice and on par with the V-Sport sport seat I'm going to call the cabins a toss up between this and the Cadillac but both are nicer than the Mercedes they just seem a bit like more special places to be. the steering wheel on the BMW and Cadillac were both really thick leather affairs BMW uses a softer leather and more squishable foam so gripping that wheel and your hands were locked in place but the Cadillac had more shaping to it. driving dynamics was a different story though, the cars straightline performance is pretty evenly matched with Cadillac barely out accelerating the BMW but it turns much better and has rips your face off brakes, damn did that car stop hard and fast.

there's no doubt the CTS belongs in this group, and playing with them side by side you don't get the feeling one should be less expensive than the other, in the past cadillac needed a lower price to be considered, I thinks that's over, but Cadillac is still trying to be the more compelling option by providing more features for the same money....the only glaring thing the Cadillac came up short on and kinda made it look like lame omissions was the self closing trunk the Mercedes had and the self closing doors the BMW had, but it could be argued leaving those off were part of the weight savings. a big caddy win is the shifters caddys is normal and you know it immediately because it's tried and true, BMW has a weird shifter and weird park button, and Mercedes has an electronic version of a column mounted truck shifter stalk also with a weird park button.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Nice write-up. Nice to see the Caddy holding it's own.

I agree the BMW shifter is weird at first but we have gotten used to it in the X5.

RGaret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    I got to sit in, but not drive the new CTS today. Much nicer interior than outgoing model and definitely on par with targeted rivals at the same price point. I still don't want to pay what they're asking but the car is very nice.

some more impressions, Cadillac really is proud that the CTS has grown up and is no longer a tweener, and truly feel those who bought gen2 CTS as a 3 series alternative that ATS a better more zero'd in choice and those who bought gen2 CTS as a 5 series alternative that gen3 CTS is a truly legitimate offering that they no longer have to squeeze into.

speaking of squeezing into, when asked about the small back seat Cadillacs response was interesting, they said they know that rear legroom is the same as mercedes and down an inch from bmw but they are taking a different approach and look at total leg room front to back and did a demonstration, saying that CTS has better front leg room on purpose, and if you compare bmw front and back legroom CTS wins by 4 inches with 81.1 and 77.5 inches total leg room and in the demonstration the moved the front seat to match bmw's and HOLY CRAP! what a difference, they said they chose that approach on purpose to the owner can allocate legroom front or back, i confirmed this being 6'2" i got in the back behind a 6 footer, there's some logic to this.

another point was acceleration, the 550i had terrible turbo lag, which is why it lost to 60mph but after a 1 second lag the BMW accelerated way harder, so actually might beat CTS V-Sport in quarter mile

Stingray23 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by RGaret View Post
    I got to sit in, but not drive the new CTS today. Much nicer interior than outgoing model and definitely on par with targeted rivals at the same price point. I still don't want to pay what they're asking but the car is very nice.
    So dont.

Tedboss1 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

Yesterday I had my first look at the new CTS at the dealer.
    It was 3.6 liter six with AWD.
    Still not sure of the looks.
    I hope that the new V version is different otherwise my 2009 V2 is better looking.

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

Interesting, today I received a $1000.00 rebate offer from Cadillac for a 2014 CTS sedan in the mail... Maybe initial demand is lagging a bit.

Take a good look at the pictures on page 4. A real good look.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.