Spotted The 2014 Cadillac CTS @ Woodward - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2014+ Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Spotted The 2014 Cadillac CTS @ Woodward in Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+; I agree with everything you said CTS91. I've had all of those same thoughts as I check out the new ...
    carter's_sts is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    I agree with everything you said CTS91. I've had all of those same thoughts as I check out the new Caddys.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Re: Spotted The 2014 Cadillac CTS @ Woodward

I have not seen the new CTS in person but I will say it doesn't look so hot in lighter colors in those pictures. I think it looks great in red, black and grey. But what I will say is that unless you get the CTS Premium or CTS-V the base model of the 2nd Gen CTS look laughably cheap. The wheels are horrible, the grey plastic inserts where foglights are supposed to be just look very low end for a car that is going for $40k+. Cadillac is going for a more upscale look here and I think it's going to work well. A few people have told me the rear end looks much better in person. FYI I don't think the rear end of the 2nd Gen is all that impressive either.

CaddyCTS91 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    I have not seen the new CTS in person but I will say it doesn't look so hot in lighter colors in those pictures. I think it looks great in red, black and grey. But what I will say is that unless you get the CTS Premium or CTS-V the base model of the 2nd Gen CTS look laughably cheap. The wheels are horrible, the grey plastic inserts where foglights are supposed to be just look very low end for a car that is going for $40k+. Cadillac is going for a more upscale look here and I think it's going to work well. A few people have told me the rear end looks much better in person. FYI I don't think the rear end of the 2nd Gen is all that impressive either.
    I agree with you about the base and luxury trims of the current CTS. They do look pretty cheap to me, I also can't stand the single exhaust. It just does not look right. I have the performance model CTS and I appreciate the upgraded exterior look so to speak. Something I don't appreciate is the extremely cheap looking plastic trim that was made to look like CF in the interior. It looks terrible and should not even be in a 45k luxury vehicle.

The rear of the new CTS looks al right to me, it's just not aggressive enough for me. I was driving behind a new CTS 2 weeks ago and the rear just looks very bloated. You will see what I mean when you drive behind one.
    Honestly, the front and rear of the new CTS do not flow correctly. It just seems like two different personalities designed the front and the rear. The thing that captivated me about the second generation CTS was the sharp lines around the car. Also, the fact that it looks like nothing else on the road.
    The new CTS just looks like it's trying to look more like a Mercedes and less like a Cadillac. Don't get me wrong, it still has a lot of Caddy DNA in the design, but I don't think GM should be calling the new design the progression of Art and Science. Art and science, the design language that brought many new customers to Cadillac showrooms, is slowly fading. WIll the toning down of the true Art and Science design language help Cadillac in the future? Only time will tell. I can tell you that the majority of people favor cars with a few curves and those are the people that GM is going for now. Rather than the ones who like to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyCTS91 View Post
    I agree with you about the base and luxury trims of the current CTS. They do look pretty cheap to me, I also can't stand the single exhaust. It just does not look right. I have the performance model CTS and I appreciate the upgraded exterior look so to speak. Something I don't appreciate is the extremely cheap looking plastic trim that was made to look like CF in the interior. It looks terrible and should not even be in a 45k luxury vehicle.

The rear of the new CTS looks al right to me, it's just not aggressive enough for me. I was driving behind a new CTS 2 weeks ago and the rear just looks very bloated. You will see what I mean when you drive behind one.
    Honestly, the front and rear of the new CTS do not flow correctly. It just seems like two different personalities designed the front and the rear. The thing that captivated me about the second generation CTS was the sharp lines around the car. Also, the fact that it looks like nothing else on the road.
    The new CTS just looks like it's trying to look more like a Mercedes and less like a Cadillac. Don't get me wrong, it still has a lot of Caddy DNA in the design, but I don't think GM should be calling the new design the progression of Art and Science. Art and science, the design language that brought many new customers to Cadillac showrooms, is slowly fading. WIll the toning down of the true Art and Science design language help Cadillac in the future? Only time will tell. I can tell you that the majority of people favor cars with a few curves and those are the people that GM is going for now. Rather than the ones who like to be different.
    I drove a '13 CTS with the 3.0 V6 the other day and I gotta tell you I loved the entire car except for the engine. Completely gutless and wheezy in town and on the highway the gas mileage wasn't impressive enough over the 3.6.

I think with the new CTS Cadillac is trying to have more global appeal over the current model which might look a little bit too "American" for others taste. Don't get me wrong I fell in love with the 2nd Gen CTS when I saw my first one at the Cadillac dealer I worked at back in '07 but I think the new one will be a good change for Cadillac. There has been a lot of talk about the 3rd Gen CTS having a bit of Mercedes influence in the design and I can definitely see that in the side profile. The rear was never an issue for me on the new model but that might change when I see it in person. I'm really loving the new front end though.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Exact reason I refused any CTS loaners cars because they were all 3 point slows, I would put the 2.5 ATS in the same category I brought it back before I even got out of the dealer complex and requested a 2.0 lol

I still still love Art & Science but the great concept looks to bland production model is starting to make me lose interest.

BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by CaddyCTS91
    I think to those who are waiting to see the new CTS in person, that you may be let down. I live in Michigan and I have been seeing them around a lot lately. Do not get me wrong, it is a very nice looking vehicle. The problem for many who have the current generation CTS is that the car has been toned down a lot. The rear has lost all of it's sharp lines and angles, it along will all of the new cadillac models have been softened way too much. The rear no longer looks aggressive like the current generation CTS Sedan. The interior on the other hand has been greatly improved over the current generation and I appreciate the fact that it no longer has the extremely cheap plastics engulfing the interior.

In conclusion, If you love the design of the new ATS and XTS, you will love the new CTS. If you like the sharp lines and boxy look of the current generation CTS, then you will be disappointed.

One more thing to mention is that the new CTS Sedan is the first Cadillac to have Front LED turn signals. When looking at the new CTS from the front from afar, all the LEDS in the front really make it look like the front of the CIEL concept.

----------

The XTS has more road presence than the ATS only because it is a much larger vehicle than the ATS. The XTS looks pretty awkward from some angles and I believe that has to do with the fact that it is riding on a FWD Chevy platform. The ATS I think it a way better design overall than the XTS and the rear somewhat still retains the aggressive lines that the current generation CTS has.
    It does look like a CIEL concept from far away, the LED lights almost connect.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

I couldn't agree more with both of your posts. I too live in the SE Michigan area and have seen several of these in person. All of the edginess of the previous (current) gen are gone. When the second gen came out back in 2008 I said to myself that the CTS was the first car that had me contemplating buying a domestic car after a long line of Acuras. When I saw the coupe I knew I had to have that car.

The new model doesn't elicit any of those feelings. It's nice enough, but I think it has been softened too much. I saw another one yesterday in a parking lot. My 70 year old mom was with me and I pulled up next to it and when I told my mom that it was the new version of my car, she immediately said, "I like yours better, it is more unique". Now to be fair, she was looking at a sedan and I have the coupe, but you get my point. I also agree that the design seems to be a bit disjointed.

I'm sure the interior is an upgrade and here are my thoughts on that topic.....

----------

Finally someone who shares my opinion. My coupe is a premium level trim. I drove an ATS Performance several months back and commented on these forums that I didn't think that the ATS was that huge of a leap in interior quality over the Premium level in my car.

People thought I was crazy.

In the second gen CTS moving up to the upper trim levels gives you the Sapele wood trim as opposed to that horrible looking fake carbon fiber trim. The leather is real and the car just looks and feels more upscale.

Unfortunately the volume model is the base version and that's what people think of with the CTS. I wonder which car people will associate withe he ATS? The base 2.5L or the upper levels.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003

I drove a '13 CTS with the 3.0 V6 the other day and I gotta tell you I loved the entire car except for the engine. Completely gutless and wheezy in town and on the highway the gas mileage wasn't impressive enough over the 3.6.

....and I wonder if that is going to be the same impression of the entry level CTS with the 2.0T. That is going to be the volume car just as the CTS with the 3.0 was. The 2.0T is going to put out similar power numbers as the 3.0 did, although the new CTS is a bit lighter, I wonder if it's going to be considered a bit of a pig with the base engine.

BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    Cadillac should of used this rear on the CTS.....

http://wot.motortrend.com/rendered-s...is-402513.html

Quote Originally Posted by BEarle
    Cadillac should of used this rear on the CTS.....

http://wot.motortrend.com/rendered-s...is-402513.html
    Now that I like!!!
    Tedboss1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post

....and I wonder if that is going to be the same impression of the entry level CTS with the 2.0T. That is going to be the volume car just as the CTS with the 3.0 was. The 2.0T is going to put out similar power numbers as the 3.0 did, although the new CTS is a bit lighter, I wonder if it's going to be considered a bit of a pig with the base engine.
    I don't think so. Since the new CTS will be 250lbs lighter than the current one and the 2.0T already has more torque those two combined will produce a much better, faster car. Also I'm SO glad somebody agrees with me on that horrible, cheap looking fake carbon fiber. I wouldn't even consider a CTS with that crap. Have you seen it with the beige interior? Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003

I don't think so. Since the new CTS will be 250lbs lighter than the current one and the 2.0T already has more torque those two combined will produce a much better, faster car. Also I'm SO glad somebody agrees with me on that horrible, cheap looking fake carbon fiber. I wouldn't even consider a CTS with that crap. Have you seen it with the beige interior? Awful.
    Yes. I had a loaner in that color. As I said,I have a Premium with the ebony interior and I always wondered why people said the interior is cheap looking as I thought mine was pretty nice. That was until I was given a bad CTS loaner with the light colored interior.

If that is the volume car I can see why most people think that.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Finally someone who shares my opinion. My coupe is a premium level trim. I drove an ATS Performance several months back and commented on these forums that I didn't think that the ATS was that huge of a leap in interior quality over the Premium level in my car.

People thought I was crazy.
    I don't think you are crazy and I don't think it is anything close to a leap in quality interior wise even over the 2nd gen CTS

Other than it being a newer, smaller, lighter, faster platform with some new tech it is Just different.

CaddyCTS91 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS

That's funny that you mention that because when I was shopping for a CTS 2 years ago, the sales guy was telling me that the dealer doesn't order CTSs with the carbon fiber trim and tan interior. I was laughing so hard in my head wondering if he really thinks that awful plastic "carbon fiber" trim is really carbon fiber. I get so embarrassed when people ask me if it's real cf and they laugh when they hear the truth. I don't think you can even find cheap plastic like that in 20k cars these days. It's terrible that GM adds a trim like that in a 45k CTS like mine. Heck, the V's even have the same plastic carbon fiber crap or it has been offered in the past. Don't get me wrong, I love the DESIGN of my car's interior, but I really question the materials that were used.

I am glad that the 3rd generation CTSs no longer have Chinese made fake carbon fiber trim that GM probably bought from a Chinese company that even refuses to use them on their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyCTS91 View Post
    That's funny that you mention that because when I was shopping for a CTS 2 years ago, the sales guy was telling me that the dealer doesn't order CTSs with the carbon fiber trim and tan interior. I was laughing so hard in my head wondering if he really thinks that awful plastic "carbon fiber" trim is really carbon fiber. I get so embarrassed when people ask me if it's real cf and they laugh when they hear the truth. I don't think you can even find cheap plastic like that in 20k cars these days. It's terrible that GM adds a trim like that in a 45k CTS like mine. Heck, the V's even have the same plastic carbon fiber crap or it has been offered in the past. Don't get me wrong, I love the DESIGN of my car's interior, but I really question the materials that were used.

I am glad that the 3rd generation CTSs no longer have Chinese made fake carbon fiber trim that GM probably bought from a Chinese company that even refuses to use them on their cars.
    I remember seeing my first 2nd Gen CTS in 2007. I worked at the Cadillac dealer and saw it coming off the truck... Black Cherry w/ Light Grey interior and the Sapele wood (still a gorgeous car and it was breathtaking first time I saw it). At the time it was the finest interior I had ever seen from GM and many cars that cost 2x as much. But the 2nd one they got in was a silver w/ black leatherette base model and it had that godawful carbon plastic crap. It didn't even look like the same interior.

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

I remember seeing my first 2nd Gen CTS in 2007. I worked at the Cadillac dealer and saw it coming off the truck... Black Cherry w/ Light Grey interior and the Sapele wood (still a gorgeous car and it was breathtaking first time I saw it). At the time it was the finest interior I had ever seen from GM and many cars that cost 2x as much. But the 2nd one they got in was a silver w/ black leatherette base model and it had that godawful carbon plastic crap. It didn't even look like the same interior.
    Yea, still love mine - black cherry w/cashmere interior and the wood. Even though mine is a base model, since I bought it in Canada, it has real leather seats, memory settings, homelink... which were standard in Canada. I remember, the only options on my car were the Sapele wood and automatic transmission....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.