2014 CTS Price Challenge
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2014+ Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2014 CTS Price Challenge in Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+; I have a feeling that the 2014 CTS will run into the same sales and price challenges that the ATS ...
    blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

2014 CTS Price Challenge

I have a feeling that the 2014 CTS will run into the same sales and price challenges that the ATS is experiencing now (see link below). Cadillac trys to sell the ATS as a BMW 3 fighter but the market perceives it as somewhat less. Planned sales for the ATS was 6K a month but it is running at 3K. With the move upward in price of the 2014 CTS model into the BMW 5 series and MB E class territory the market (including me) will really look long and hard at justifying the CTS when there are other offerings with greater "cachet".

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/05/c...ricing-as-hop/

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    When I read this article the other day I was thinking the same thing about the CTS. The CTS hasn't hit the showroom floors yet, maybe they will reduce the price before they hit the market or give big incentives. Cadillac has what it takes to take on the Germans, but its still early to match the Germans prices. I think they need to price their cars lower to steal away the buyers from German car buyers. Same with the Escalade, some are saying that they will command bigger prices now to match range rover and Mercedes GL, but they need to be priced lower to steal people away from other luxury SUVs. I'm a escalade owner and in my opinion I think they were over priced to begin with for the quickly of the truck itself, they should still keep the existing pricing for the escalade and they will fly off the showroom floors.

----------

In other words Cadillac has wonderful vehicles but its too soon to command higher prices.
    Tedboss1 likes this.

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Re: 2014 CTS Price Challenge

Breaking news, Don Butler has resigned. www.thedetroitbureau.com.

lexterminator is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Will be interesting to see. Maybe in the long term it will prove that Cadillac was doing better with his "in-between size and price" car in the 2008-2013 CTS compared to have ATS and bigger CTS.

In my area (Montreal) I see no XTS, very very little ATS, and a fair amount of CTS and SRX. Mostly BMW, Mercedes and Audi's around town. Looks like people are not buying the ATS especially with such similar pricing of germans. Went for a week in Maine and saw quite a bunch of XTS, that car looks great on the road.

When you go in pricing above the 2008-2013 CTS the market is shrinking rapidly in terms of sales. Cadillac will have to be very aggressive with incentives to generate decent selling numbers. So far I had a 2004 CTS 3.6 FE1, 2009 CTS 3.6 FE1 and 2012 CTS 3.6 DI Coupe and I am curious to see in person the new 2014. I am quite afraid of the price they will ask for in Canada for a 2014 3.6 Luxury. Also concerned by how light the steering feel will be. I love the heavy feel of the CTS Coupe steering. Will try to book a test drive when the new one comes in but I dont expect to see that many on the road despite its great look.

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Quote Originally Posted by blankster View Post
    Planned sales for the ATS was 6K a month but it is running at 3K.
    Umm... no? I've never read that planned sales were supposed to be 6,000 units per month. It was only projected to do about 2,500 to 4,000 with the sedan only IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by autoblog
    The best news for the ATS is that the Automotive News says sales of the ATS are on target and that 74 percent of ATS buyers are new to Cadillac – two important factors for the brand as it tries to break into this tough segment.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

And the article is biased as well. The 3 series has the coupe, convertible, and M versions to boost ATP. It's not a level playing field.

Want impressive? The ATS's ATP is higher than the C Class and A4. THAT'S newsworthy.

Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyBu View Post
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

And the article is biased as well. The 3 series has the coupe, convertible, and M versions to boost ATP. It's not a level playing field.

Want impressive? The ATS's ATP is higher than the C Class and A4. THAT'S newsworthy.
    I was trying to figure out what ATP stands for and I found 70 different abbreviations:

http://www.abbreviations.com/ATP

So which one is it?

Actual Transaction Price

ArmyJoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 13 CTS coupe 10 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyBu View Post
    Umm... no? I've never read that planned sales were supposed to be 6,000 units per month. It was only projected to do about 2,500 to 4,000 with the sedan only IIRC.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Where did you hear that range (2,500 to 4,000) ? With $2,000 on the hood for the 2013 ATS, I don't think its meeting Cadillac's sales expectations. The 2nd Gen CTS at its peak was pushing 5,500. Why can't the cheaper ATS do at least as well. I predict we will see incentives on the 2014 CTS before the '14 model year is through also.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
    Where did you hear that range (2,500 to 4,000) ? With $2,000 on the hood for the 2013 ATS, I don't think its meeting Cadillac's sales expectations. The 2nd Gen CTS at its peak was pushing 5,500. Why can't the cheaper ATS do at least as well. I predict we will see incentives on the 2014 CTS before the '14 model year is through also.
    You have to remember by the time the 2nd Gen CTS was out it was an already established nameplate with recognition in the marketplace. It also was competing in the "tweener" class of a 3 Series priced car with 5 series space. Those days are over at Cadillac. If you want the CTS, you'll now pay 5/E/A6 money for it. The ATS is doing well in its class considering it has been out less than a year and is already selling more than the A4, S60, and Lexus IS. This is also the first time Cadillac has introduced a car in this class and with all the negativity surrounding past efforts (I'm looking at you Cimmaron and Catera) I think it's doing quite well. That $2,000 on the hood is to move the '13 metal to make way for the '14 which is arriving on dealer lots now.
    EnvoyBu likes this.

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tedboss1 View Post
    I was trying to figure out what ATP stands for and I found 70 different abbreviations:

http://www.abbreviations.com/ATP

So which one is it?
    Actual Transaction Price
    I've read it as either "Actual Transaction Price" or "Average Transaction Price".

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
    Remember that the ATS is sedan only at this point. If it had a sedan, wagon, coupe, and convertible and only sold 3,500 units per month, I'd agree with you.

IIRC, GM's estimate for sales was 40,000 to 50,000 per year. IMHO, it's pretty impressive that the ATS outsold the A4, IS, and G37 for most of this year.

Give it time, and a V-Series to boost recognition...

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    You have to remember by the time the 2nd Gen CTS was out it was an already established nameplate with recognition in the marketplace. It also was competing in the "tweener" class of a 3 Series priced car with 5 series space. Those days are over at Cadillac. If you want the CTS, you'll now pay 5/E/A6 money for it. The ATS is doing well in its class considering it has been out less than a year and is already selling more than the A4, S60, and Lexus IS. This is also the first time Cadillac has introduced a car in this class and with all the negativity surrounding past efforts (I'm looking at you Cimmaron and Catera) I think it's doing quite well. That $2,000 on the hood is to move the '13 metal to make way for the '14 which is arriving on dealer lots now.
    I agree completely.

In December of 2009 GM lowered the list price of the 2010 CTS by about 3K to make it more competitive relative to the european vehicles in the same market segment. At that time, the price of a loaded CTS was closing in on the MB E350 which I was also shopping. The price change of the CTS made it more attractive for me so I bought one. I think it will be interesting to see how the 2014 CTS will sell relative to its peers towards the end of the model year - Initially it may do well, but price and features (technology) from the others may erode sales. One of my peeves on the 2014 is the 3.6 AWD - Carry-over powertrain from the 2013 with a 6 speed auto-trans. Should be an 8 speed for that money. The 8 speed on the RWD is outsourced from another supplier until the GM version is ready (next year?). 2014 seems to be a year of a couple of compromises to get it to market. It will be interesting to watch.

I think autoblog says it best - Again they should have made the rear legroom a bit more and the price now propels it into the European realm which I also feel will be a challenge :

Yet there is always room for improvement, and the CTS didn't escape my scrutiny. First, the exterior mirrors may look cool to the stylists, but they are too small to provide a comfortable overview of the traffic around the sedan. Second, I found the rear seating area a bit cramped for my six-foot two-inch frame. A look at the specification sheet reveals the midsize Cadillac is still smaller than the 5 Series and E-Class in terms of second-row legroom, and it felt that way during a half-hour stint back there. Lastly, the huge list of electronic driving aids seems to encroach on the driving experience, detracting from the behind-the-wheel enjoyment in the process.

Cadillac has a bona fide winner on its hands with its new CTS, but is it going to topple the 5 Series and E-Class?

Not likely in the immediate future - and it has nothing to do with the all-new CTS as a vehicle, but rather the deep-rooted cachet that the Europeans have spent decades earning. The Cadillac is a phenomenal midsize sport sedan, and its newfound excellence will unquestionably grow its market share, but convincing buyers in this premium segment to switch brands, and country of origin, is extremely challenging if not near impossible. This is a long-term, very competitive and continually changing battle. The folks at Cadillac should feel very comfortable knowing they finally have the finest tools for the engagement.

billeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS 2012 CTS

My 2012 3.0 V6 Luxury (without nav) listed for $42,645. If I wanted to get a 2014 V6 luxury with the same options it would be $55,785. Yes it's bigger and has a 3.6 liter engine instead of 3.0. But I would have a hard time justifying paying $13k (31%) more.

The vehicle overall is larger but the interior is about the same size as a gen 2. In today's mail I received a $1000.00 rebate offer from Cadillac on a 2014 sedan. Maybe initial demand is not there. Maybe if the rebate was 5K I might give it some thought .

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

In today's mail I received a $1000.00 rebate offer from Cadillac on a 2014 sedan. Maybe initial demand is not there.
    I see no rebates for the 14 CTS yet
    It is probably not specifically for the CTS

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.