Cadillac Owners Forum banner

OK, the REAL photos of the 2014 CTS are out now... who designs these cars?!

10K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  5.0 lsc 
#1 ·
OK, as many of you know by now the REAL photos of the 2014 CTS are out now...

While the front is stunningly beautiful - the rear looks like they can't figure out if they want this car to appeal to a "younger" or "older" demographic.

The rear is just plainly a huge step backward (except for the now molded in exhaust tips - which was way past due) from the old (pre-2014) CTS version.

It seems as though they got the new CTS and new XTS mixed up...

If the CTS had the rear of the XTS; and the XTS had the CTS rear - both cars would look more appropriate.

The CTS is a sport sedan - the XTS is a luxury sedan.

Wow, who designs these cars..?

What a huge mismatch!

The front of this CTS is beautiful, as is the rear of the XTS...

Anyone know a good chop-shop? LOL:)

:suspect:

See less See more
#6 ·
JimmyH said:
I shall repeat myself; the front and rear of this new CTS look like they were designed on two different continents that were at war with each other. It's like two different cars.
The front end looks like an enlarged ATS grill, coupled with a Ceil lower facia....the back end part XTS in the bumper and an combo ATS/XTS shorten trunk...XTS type interior (layout) with its own unique leather options and console design...we'll see how the public responds this fall....

#10 ·
I was anxiously awaiting the 2014 CTS reveal. Put it this way; when the previous generation was revealed, I immediately loved every aspect of every angle in pictures. The 2014 looks to take a step forward....as in forward in age demographic. The front is gorgeous. The interior as well....the back looks like an old man's Mercedes:hmm:. I was waiting for the new model to upgrade from mine...now, I am torn. I will wait to see the new car in person before deciding, but it doesn't look promising. GM hit a homerun with the Corvette Stingray. They seem to have hit a single with the new CTS....batter reached first on an error. This is quite disappointing....:nono:

#11 ·
I don't know what you guys are smoking.

Maybe being 40 now I just fall into the old man category, but I think the new CTS is gorgeous all around. I fell in love with the 08 CTS and have owned my 09 sedan since they showed up in late 2008.

I really don't get all the hate for the rear end, especially compared to the 2nd generation. Aside from the tail lights, the back of the 2nd generation is pretty nondescript. This new one has a lot more character and I don't see it being confused for the more generic looking rear ends that Lexus, Mercedes, etc are offering.

I am disappointed that with the bigger size that cabin space isn't better. However, aesthetically, I think it is a home run over my current CTS.

#12 · (Edited)
ultimate_ed said:
I don't know what you guys are smoking.

Maybe being 40 now I just fall into the old man category, but I think the new CTS is gorgeous all around. I fell in love with the 08 CTS and have owned my 09 sedan since they showed up in late 2008.

I really don't get all the hate for the rear end, especially compared to the 2nd generation. Aside from the tail lights, the back of the 2nd generation is pretty nondescript. This new one has a lot more character and I don't see it being confused for the more generic looking rear ends that Lexus, Mercedes, etc are offering.

I am disappointed that with the bigger size that cabin space isn't better. However, aesthetically, I think it is a home run over my current CTS.
No at 40 your a kid in the auto industry demo targets. I'm still in my 40s and as much as I loved the new CTS the rear end was given too conservative of a treatment. Still a smoking hot beautiful car that looks totally unique. But just a toned down rear end vs current CTS.

A great analogy is the new CTS is like seeing Jennifer Lopez in a pair of loose fitting " mom jeans" wearing flat shoes vs seeing Jennifer in super tight designer jeans and high heels !! Big difference right. Well, like Jennifer the new CTS is beautiful it's just wearing " mom jeans"...:)

#14 ·
I should say I don't think the CTS is an unattractive car. Overall, the shape is okay. The silhouette is just dated, while creases all over the place make the car look oversculpted. And the front and rear faces just don't jibe.
I understand they had to go more extreme with the CTS to set it apart from the ATS (which, btw, I think is one of the best looking sedans ever) They just took it too far in some ways, and not far enough in others. It's like they tried to half-copy the German sedans (which, another btw, I think are pretty hideous these days)

#15 ·
JimmyH said:
I should say I don't think the CTS is an unattractive car. Overall, the shape is okay. The silhouette is just dated, while creases all over the place make the car look oversculpted. And the front and rear faces just don't jibe.
I understand they had to go more extreme with the CTS to set it apart from the ATS (which, btw, I think is one of the best looking sedans ever) They just took it too far in some ways, and not far enough in others. It's like they tried to half-copy the German sedans (which, another btw, I think are pretty hideous these days)
Agree. It's a great looking car. IMHO ( yeah man just my Lobowsky opinion ) had they tightened up the rear and gave us cooler taller tail lights it would have been off the charts. I'm sure it will grow on us.

#20 ·
Both the CTS coupe as well as this new CTS design is what I label as having "potential"....they needed to take both vehicles a step or two more in design; if you wanted a "Ceil" look in the CTS then give it more of a Ceil front end application with light treatments, etc....continuing with a swept tail light design.....the CTS coupe back end is damn good, but they needed a better match up front to go with the wedge styling.....bottom line: front and rear of both vehicles just don't quite match up.....the ATS on the other hand, was a perfect match from front to rear....destined to be a classic in design IMHO.

#21 ·
I saw the car at the NY Auto Show and pics don't do it justice. In person its a very nice looking car. Maybe a bit more mature than the current vehicle but that is what is needed for where they want to bring this model. If the ATS wasn't in the line up I would call it a misstep but to compete against the E-Class & the 5 Series I think this car fits the bill.

#29 ·
Harry_Wild said:
Cadillac is solely focus on BMW! As long as BMW's M5 is RWD; so is Cadillac's CTS-V and CTS-V Sport going to be RWD only. Cadillac does not focus on the other upscale car company such as Benz nor Mercedes not Porsche nor Jaguar. They do not think that if you offer something like CTS-V AWD that BMW does not have that people would go and maybe buy it. In this respect they are just copy cats - have no vision - they react to the leader and are not leaders themselves. Same old GM!
You chase and copy the leaders to establish your credibility. Once that is done you now have the resources to be a leader.

That's what Lexus did with Mercedes back at the start. Worked for them.

#30 ·
Harry_Wild said:
Cadillac is solely focus on BMW! As long as BMW's M5 is RWD; so is Cadillac's CTS-V and CTS-V Sport going to be RWD only. Cadillac does not focus on the other upscale car company such as Benz nor Mercedes not Porsche nor Jaguar. They do not think that if you offer something like CTS-V AWD that BMW does not have that people would go and maybe buy it. In this respect they are just copy cats - have no vision - they react to the leader and are not leaders themselves. Same old GM!
Cadillac is not even close to being a copy cat. The art and science theme is ground breaking and has always looked like no other car on the world. Simply because they benchmark against a BMW does not mean anything other then they want the Cadillac to perform better then anyone else's car.

Also remember it was all the other car companies that copy Cadillac As Cadillac was the first luxury car the world knew. In the early days no movie star, sports hero or successful businessman wanted to be seen driving anything but a Cadillac.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.