Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Drag radials

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Torxila 
#1 ·
I am a newer member and have actually searched for threads on drag radials and didn't find what I was looking for...

Any feedback on 19" drag radials? I put 20" Asanti's on my V for daily getting around. I want to find drag radials and have them on the factory wheels so I can just swap them and be track ready.

Apparently hard to find but I was told that Kumho makes a 19" but the size is 245/30/19 - I thought 245 was a bit narrow for the rear but they say Viper enthusiasts are loving them.

Another alternative was a Nitto that is like a hybrid "closest thing to a drag radial".

Any of you smart on this? Anyone using the above?

Thanks.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Hey Jamie,

Have you got any sets of the new Mickey 19's sent back yet? My 2 went out of round after about 200miles of normal street driving. Also a local Ford tuner has gone through 3 sets on his new shop car a 2012 Mustang. All 3 sets went SQUARE as well. I hope MT fixes this 'cause the hook like a mofo.

My guys at Discount tire are going to call MT on Monday. Let us know if any of your customers have problems after a few miles on them,

Thanks
George

#14 ·
I have not had any returned defective or even any calls regarding this. We have sold 23 sets to all over the country to all kinds of applications and no returns. Totally new to me........... Let me know though. It maybe a run lot issue.

#6 ·
Anyone have trouble mounting them? I ordered 2 new wheels from my local dealer and today they tried to mount the new 19" M/T's and could not get the beads to seat. They worked on it for a few hours, getting one to seat. However in the end they ended up damaging two new wheels that have never even been on a car.

#9 ·
Crap......was looking forward to getting these....hope MT comes up with the fix quickly!!!

#12 ·
Looks like it is going to be trial by fire for each set. I don't see any way to find that kind of defect without buying and trial....I even had a date picked out to purchase, now I will hold off just a bit.....disappointed :(

#15 · (Edited)
My garage also had a hard time with balancing the MT's tires.
Finally I had to return one of them as it was out of round and impossible to balance.
Sumitt send me a replacement with no question asked.
It took a while for the garage to balance them but finally after rotating the tire few times on the rim it worked.

#16 ·
I do have a couple of observations.

• most of the tires mounted and balanced properly
    some are reporting that they go out of balance, go square (flat spot) after a couple hundred miles
    the tires are temp C, traction C for DOT approval - this rubber holds heat and does not work well in the rain (no surprise here)

I have a couple of questions for those running these on the street

1. What PSI are you running them at?
2. Where are you using them (highway, city)?

I suspect that people may be running them on the street for lengthy durations with low pressures (FYI - they are good up to 44 PSI) heating up the tires to a point where the radial bands separate a bit an are settling badly on cool down (flat spot).

Of course, I may be on crack, but I recall being careful with my old drag radials due to this so I never used them on the street.

#17 ·
I ran mine at 30-33psi initially with a mix of highway and street miles. Did 3 launches (at 33psi). Total miles put on tires 200. Tires initially took a lot of weight to balance but were round when we started. Discount is going to contact MT for a resiluton.
George

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.