Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Auto or manual which one you have

8K views 51 replies 35 participants last post by  pVu 
#1 ·
i have a cls 55 Mercedes right now an in the process of wanting to get a cts v 2011.. i drove a 2013 coupe auto an i love the handling an style of the car .performance was very impresseve .. i need some of you guys help i know i want the sedan but stuck
on if i want the auto or manual . i know i want more control over the car an play around with it an i know with an auto there only so much u can do. i want to know if u have either or do you wish you change ? how do it feel to drive a manual sedan ??

#4 ·
Went from an E34 Manual to an SUV and wanted to drive into a wall after 3 years. I have a manual Coupe and commute 30 miles each way in congested LA traffic. I loved the manual on my E34 but the ergonomics of the seats and constant trips to the shop got the best of me and sold it after putting 2 years and 45,000 miles on it. The V has 21,000 miles and still gives me that excited to drive feeling. I have a 66 Chevelle in the garage that I don't even want to drive anymore.

#7 ·
I have a tuned 2012 coupe and I will tell you it is fantastic. When my friend and I go out (he has a ZR1) he is very impressed on how fast the CTS V with auto is. Sport mode with paddle shifters is auto heaven.
My 2 cents
Good Luck choosing

BTW
It's difficult to get an M6 to beat an A6 with similar mods in a quarter

#8 ·
If you purely want to race......they say the auto is faster........personally....i just dont see how you can enjoy this car with the auto....Paddle shifters just dont do it...... Sometimes i want to upshift at 2k.....sometimes 3K........ sometimes something else... pushing the paddle just doesnt do it for me...
only auto at our house is the expedition though...wife has 5.0 mustang manual. three sons with a Kia, a Evo and a Mustang ....all manuals.....Daughters: jeep and a eclipse.....all manuals......sooooooo my response is not surprising :)

My 2 cents.

#10 ·
I drove an auto at Monticello. I Iiked it. I drive a sedan. A manual. Manual all day long. Whatever tiny advantage an auto has in the 1/4 can be trumped by a couple hundred bucks in mods.

There have been MANY threads on people regretting getting an auto and have even asked about doing a transmission swap. Craziness. If its even a thought, get the manual and always be happy...

#12 ·
I'll say what I say every time this comes up - if you like manuals and you want to drive a manual, GET THE MANUAL. If you like manuals but get the automatic for convenience reasons, in 3-6 months you'll be back here asking how to convert it to a manual or asking for advice on how to trade it in on a manual V. This isn't about which is better, this is only about which one you prefer.

If that's not enough for you to decide, then test drive both, then decide.

#14 ·
I have an auto in my CTS-V because it's a Cadillac. My '69 Chevelle SS has a Muncie trans with a Hurst shifter and nothing, except maybe a Ford Toploader, shifts as satisfying. I had a 2000 Camaro SS with 6 speed and was annoyed at times when I didn't want to shift, especially stop and go traffic. I also hated screwing with wearing out clutches.

#23 ·
Cad CTS-V2 automatic versus manual trans data (as of 01-02-2012):

Manual trans (M6): Tremec TR6060 6 speed manual,
fully synchronized with single overdrive (MG9):
Gear ratios :)1) 1st: 2.66, 2nd: 1.78, 3rd: 1.30, 4th: 1.00,
5th: 0.80, 6th: 0.63, final: 3.73, reverse: 2.90

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $1300, or half that of the A6
Faster by 16 MPH (191 MPH versus 175 MPH (governed))
A tad slower in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad better mileage than the auto but probably not significant
About 32 more RWHP than an A6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 27 more RWTQ than an A6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 95 lbs lighter that the auto
No remote start feature
Has “no lift-shift” feature

Automatic trans (A6): Hydra-matic 6L90E 6 speed
electronically controlled automatic overdrive with
torque converter clutch (MYD): Gear ratios: (1:) 1st:
4.03, 2nd: 2.36, 3rd: 1.53, 4th: 1.15, 5th: 0.85, 6th: 0.67,
final: 3.23, reverse: 3.06

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $2600, or twice that of the M6
Slower by 16 MPH (175 MPH (governed) versus 191 MPH)
A tad quicker in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad worse mileage than the manual but probably not significant
About 32 less RWHP than an M6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 27 less RWTQ that an M6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 95 lbs heavier that the manual
Remote start feature
Normal mode initially starts in 1st gear, then starts in 2nd gear thereafter
Manual mode starts in 1st gear always

About 1 in every 6 ’09 CTS-V’s were / are manual trans (M6)

#27 ·
Manual here. I had to wait forever to find one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.