Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Difference between LSA and LS9

11K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  GMX322V S/C 
#1 · (Edited)
Perhaps this has been addressed before but the thread on warranty voiding got me thinking. If the LS9 makes 638HP why couldn't you make the relatively same changes to the LSA without voiding the warranty (short of changing internals)? I have no idea what the differences are but imagine that a more aggressive tune must be part of the equation. Can anyone speak to the differences and what could be accomplished?

I want to do mods to my car but will not put myself in financial jeopardy by voiding the warranty. I have also talked to Hennessy and, unless I misunderstood what they told me, believe that they warrant their mods and said that it would not interfere with the factory warranty.

I'm still contemplating my options and paralyzed about doing anything until I have a plan. Thanks.

#8 ·
Heads are different, rods are titanium, valves are titanium on the exhaust, different crank, different block, lots more of differences..

#10 ·
block and crank are not the same. To make a lsa into ls9 would be about 13k in parts.

#11 ·
I just purchased a new V Sedan A6 and I specifically asked the dealer if I changed the drive pulleys on the SC or the crank, would it void the warranty? They told me not if the parts were GM! I said "can I get that in writing" and they said yes. However, I haven't pursued it further.

#14 ·
IMO any changes other than exhaust(cat back) and intake WILL void your factory warranty. Forget pulleys( to up the boost to ZR1 levels), or computer mods. ALso,the Lsa does have piston squirters , a milder cam, a BETTER upper intercooler brick, and wet sump oiling which some have proven to make MORE hp than a dry sump(ZR1) type set up. The only people who *need* titanium rods and valves to turn less than 7000 rpms are the people who like to say they have titanium rods and valves. Its been done for 100's(a little optimistic) of years with forged rods( like the Lsa) and stainless valves( like the lsa). Have fun with whatever you decide :)

#18 ·
Actually, it's not. Forgings start off with a piece of metal that is heated to high temps and is then pounded into shape using dies. The grain structure of the metal is maintained. Powdered metal starts off with a blend of metallic powder that is placed into a form and submitted to extreme pressure. It is then sintered to below the melting point, which combines the metal molecules. The only thing they have in common is an elevated temperature step.

#19 ·
"Forged powder-metal connecting rods link the crankshaft and pistons. They are forged under extreme pressure from alloy metals reduced to powder, rather the melted to liquid, for a balance of low mass and high strength"

from the GM powertrain website describing the LSA
Ross

#20 ·
Really? Your're quoting from a GM marketing website to prove your point? I hardly think their misuse of the word 'forged' constitutes any form of validation.

Go to Wikipedia and search on the terms 'forging' and 'powder metallurgy'. It should be very enlightening.

I don't wish to engage in a pissing contest with you, so this will be my last post on the subject.

#24 ·
Good because you're completely wrong and have no idea what you're talking about. And...REALLY??...you're using WIKIPEDIA??? I deal with metallurgy every day of my life. If you think the OPINIONS on wikipedia are more accurate than the R&D done by GM engineer's and that GM "misused" the word 'forged' then YOU are the one that needs a lesson in validation. Yeah...please don't post again.

#25 ·
so I think I saw this answered but would an ls9 block bolt in the place of the lsa block? what additional things would be needed then? the rods sound strong regardless, so the head and rest of the rotating assembly make the difference, and the blower.

that forging/powdering difference sort of seems like a paint/powder coat argument. pretty cool stuff I read up on with the Wikipedia citations (see the bottom of most Wikipedia pages).

#28 ·
I don't expect to get this back on track but I was looking at the differences as it relates to making horsepower not durability. I know the LS9 has a bigger supercharger and a bigger cam. I was wondering about heads, injectors, heat exchangers, exhaust manifolds, etc. If you care to pick it back up.

----------

Thanks. This contains most of what I was looking for.

Can you upgrade the supercharger and cam to LS9 specs?

What of exhaust differences?

#30 ·
I was wondering about heads, injectors, heat exchangers, exhaust manifolds, etc.
Heads for both engines flow essentially the same, but use different valves. Injectors for both engines are the same, but the LS9 uses a little more fuel pressure at WOT. The LS9 uses a dual-brick IC that has more surface area for increased charge cooling. The LS9 uses a dual-pass heat exchanger. The first pass through feeds a reservoir inlet. The reservoir oulet feeds the HX second pass through, and then on to the IC. The LS9 uses individual-runner exhaust manifolds that merge at the collector. The LSA uses exhaust manifolds where the runners merge in a common plenum.

#29 ·
I believe the ZR1 makes 11 psi stock, vs our 9psi, so add upper pulley(12 psi) and tune and you're making ZR1 power(only weigh about a 1000lbs more lol). I'm sure this will start a debate, but I've seen some reports that show the "dry sump" oiling system(ZR1) requires MORE hp to operate compared to a wet sump. Injectors are the same, heads(don't know).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.