Installed 2800 Torque convrter and headers yesterday...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2015 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Installed 2800 Torque convrter and headers yesterday... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2015; Friends, As some of you know I was flim-flamming on installing some go fast parts on my brand new daily ...
    EdwardETraylorIII is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V, Z06s, ZR1...

Installed 2800 Torque convrter and headers yesterday...

Friends,

As some of you know I was flim-flamming on installing some go fast parts on my brand new daily driven CTS-V. I had some of the parts for sale because I had decided not to ruin what I've grown to consider "the perfect car"/ the nicest 'quick' daily-drivable car I've ever owned (comparable to a pristine '87 GN)....

Well, I talked to lots of folks about installing a 2800 (lock up) stalll converter before I did it because I just really didn't know if it was the right thing to do with such a magnificent car. I was really torn as I've only put big stalls in my racecars in the past (and these cars were no fun on the street). On Friday I had an "ah ha" moment... 2800 isn't exactly a big stall and if I didn't like it I'd just pull it out and go back to stock. Now that I've installed it and put 50 miles on her, all I can say is...WTF was I thinking waiting this long (I was being "prudent," damnit)???? What a difference the lighter (lesser diameter, too) converter made... That coupled with the 2800 RPM variation, what a perfect package for our car. The car picked up at least a half second with the converter alone (in the 1/4) and I'd dare say that the drivability is only slightly different - and not necessarily negative at all.

I was also really concerned about putting the headers on the car without cats (but with stock muffs). Once again, I said what the heck and just did it. Also glad I went ahead and did this, too... Idle is no more than 1 db louder in the car. Cruising is maybe 1.5 db louder in the car at 1800 RPM (and I haven't yet found a drone point). Now, WOT - well.. That's a different story. The car screams like a raped ape (sound wise). Every cop in a 1 mile radius will now know when I stab the throttle... (Hey, I'm ok with this part! I want to hear when I really gag on it!)

The tuning for the converter was pretty easy. I suppose that's because the 2800 lockup converter just isn't that much more aggressive than stock. Not too many things had to be altered really.

While she was in the air I put the Eibach's on her and cut the front bump stops (but not the rear). I'm hopeful I don't start hearing the dreaded squeak I've heard so many other complain about.......... I really like the slightly lower look! Car handles like it did from the factory until you hit the turns... It's a real dream in the turns now. Much much more firm. I think I may add sway bars as well but that should do it for the suspension...

I've decided to go ahead and put the 9" lower on, get some 90 lbs/hr injectors, GT9 camshaft and probably go E85 (I've done this combo on a few of my friends V's and they clear 690 RWHP every time with a torque curve that's as flat as a godamn pancake from 2700 RPM for 6500 RPM... So I know exactly what I'm getting into here... ) I guess I just had to make a decision as to whether or not I was going to say screw the warranty.... I guess I've already made that decision. Sigh...

Just thought I'd share this with my compadres here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

miamictsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: Installed 2800 Torque convrter and headers yesterday...

Nice set up. Clean your inbox please i have couple of questions. Thank you

Just cleared the inbox and sent a hello to you! Sorry about that!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

newcadman is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Whose make of lock up converter did you go with?

It is a yank 2800 lock up single disc.

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

I've been fighting with the same dilemma, Ed, regarding the factory warranty & such. Glad to hear that you are happy with the way that the car turned out.

Gary,

Thank you.

My only advice to you is... DO IT. (said in the funny way, but meant totally seriously)

I just wish I had done the TC sooner! What a difference....

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

Ed:
    No before and after dyno? I'm curious what the headers picked up without cats. I've got a brand new titanium coated set of Kook's headers with the hi-po cats and am considering running those all the way back to the factory muffs.

Gary,

I did not put the car on the rollers after the headers and the converter. I did a highway tune... I can tell you that it lost a little on the peak number (because of the torque converter) but it certainly flattened out the torque curve!!!!!

Bowtye8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2016 CTS-V Crystal White, CF,AM Wheels

Ed- We have to meet up at PBIR!!
    See my post with Litagor racing. Our 60ft times were horrible. I know some better air/DA will help.
    I had a 3600 Yank in my former 01 Vette. Super convertor. Drivabilty was non-issue. Lit is working on some nice mods. I may follow his footsteps. I would like to hit 600+ hp as well.
    Who did your install for the convertor? Local caddy dealer or hipo shop.

Thanks
    Dennis

Dennis, I'd love to meet up!! I'll czech out that thread right away, bud!

I would imagine with a properly (this can be hard to find) prepped track and the MT 19" DR, I can see this thing going 1.6x all day... I wouldn't imagine a 1.5x is too far fetched...

I usually do all of my own work, but I had a little help from a friend (was in a hurry) throwing the headers and the converter on the car at a buddy's shop. (I don't have a garage down here in Florida (I'm not from here but I do live here now. I have a full garage back home) so my friend that owns the hipo shop some times let's me use one of his lifts when he's not too busy).

LitiGATOR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I did pull a couple 1.6X at PBIR a few weeks ago in much more favorable conditions.

15. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.