Cadillac Owners Forum banner

305/265's on D3 Springs w/ Oem wheels...

41K views 146 replies 46 participants last post by  ENVIOUS V 
#1 ·
Here's my current setup. I was looking to see how far i could push the tire limit on the oem wheels with the d3 springs. I do have the updated rods for my d3 drop. The tires are Bridgestone Re-11's in 305/30/19 & 265/35/19. The wheels are oem black chrome'd wheels. They have NOT been widened, they are fully stock outside of the coating. The master gm tech that mounted the wheels stated that this is the limit. Any larger and there will be issues. I will put some sand in the truck / or load up the V with passengers to see how it goes but I am more than willing to bet it will be fine. I didnt get on it yet to test the grip as i'm breaking the tires in. They should be ready to rip on in a few days :bouncy: ...here the pics...

See less See more
#7 ·
Curtis, Yea I had Mike mount them the same time he put on the new rods from d3. The psi from the dealer was a little off from each tire. By the time I got home it ranged from 37-38. So I think 36 all around hot/34 cold would be ideal. I'll do some more testing tomorrow and have a few passengers to give it a go around. Visually you can't even tell that you squeezed a 305 on the rear. I'd have to say its because although the re-11 is on the larger scale of 305's it has an extremely stiff sidewall. Stiffer than the ps2's. This might help it from looking like its bulging out on the 9.5" rim.

#12 ·
Thanks !...Yea, from what the tech said there is no way you will fit a 275 on the front, unless you wan to start playing with spacers. I've always been big on taking the plunge on suspension mods first before any power mods. What I would like to do is get ahold of some good sway bars...I wonder if the coupes sways would fit on the sedan...hmmmmm

#18 ·
Ride quality so far is great ! The handling on them is very very solid, I'm sure that can be attributed to the super stiff sidewalls. These tires are in average 3-4 lbs heavier than the ps2's in the same size. That's alot of additional reinforcement. I heard that its good to ride pretty easy on new tires for a couple hundred miles to break them in and keep them from hardening, is this accurate ? I've been taking it easy and have had 2+ additional passengers today with no negative changes in handling or shock feel....and the best part is these tires look so friggin mean in person, they look like dr's.

#19 ·
Razor
I definately would go with the wider 305 or 315 tire in the fall when my tires will need replacing. You mentioned on another thread I authored that your tires are stickier than the PS2's. How do you know that and have you tried them out? Your setup looks real nice. I was wondering if Hanooks are better if they can be had in 305.

#20 ·
^ mopar from what i heard is that the hankooks are not as sticky as the ps2's and the sidewalls are extremely flexible/soft. I don't have personal expeirance yet on the grip of the re-11's but from a multitude of reviews off the internet they all say that the re-11 has better grip than the ps2's at the expense of a shorter life. The tire compound itself from handling it is def nice and soft.

#24 ·
Adrian
Do you have an update on ride and handling? This treatment is awesome. I started down the road of picking up some extra wheels in order to widen to 10.5", but no longer needed with these tires on stock rims if there are no issues.

#25 ·
Adrian,

I was wondering the same. Do me a favor and check in from time to time this season on how the 305 RE-11s wear on 9.5 rims. I am curious if the tires will wear properly. I will not be changing mine until the Summer rims with PS2s come off and the winter rims with 240 sottos go on. Then I will be looking to shod the summer rims with 265/35/19 fronts and 305/30/19 rears RE-11 while they are not in service.

#27 ·
First off and most importantly so far is 0 issue with the d3 springs. I did some aggressive turning and launching last night with a passenger. Nothing all out but a little more push and the car performed past my expectations. There was 0 flex in the sidewalls unlike i had with my nitto invo's and the car took tight turns like it was on rails. I will def keep track of the tread and keep updating this thread. But when you compare $590 for a 305 ps2 to a Re-11 at $350 I have no problem if they only have 75% of the life yet have better grip and sidewall strength.

#37 ·
But when you compare $590 for a 305 ps2 to a Re-11 at $350 I have no problem if they only have 75% of the life yet have better grip and sidewall strength.
I like your math, Raz! 22% less treadwear (estimated) for 41% less $$$ (actual), plus better grip and a larger contact patch all are music to my ears! And the visual appeal is pretty schweeet.

I'll likely be going this route when my PS2's bite the dust. And I've been a long-time fan of the PS2's; had three sets on my E39 M5 and absolutely loved them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.