Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Engine appears to be running very hot- help

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Z06ified 
#1 ·
My 1600 mile ctsv auto- jesse max perf tune, CAI, modified air box (4 inch cone on order) and 160 degree tstat. Seems as though fans are not coming on when i shut off engine- drove car 1/2 hour 3hours ago still pretty hot- called Hannah at WFM to querry Jesse about this- during Dyno pulls 2 weeks ago tech commented on amazing amount of heat soak with engine- Jesse if you are out their is tune not accounting for tstat- why are fans not cming on when i stop engine. Thoughts anybody?

#2 ·
^^^ My fans operate normally while engine is running, and the fans USED to run for awhile after shutting down the engine. Now, with W4M's performance tune, the fans stop the moment the engine is turned off, which I assume was his, (W4M), intention. I still have the OEM thermostat installed however, and I do not have over-heating problems.

Rob

#4 · (Edited)
Not running the tunes right now, but 95 in TX this afternoon, with 70% humidity. My trans temp was 207. When I parked the car in the underground garage, i could here the fans running, not very loud. But after a few minutes they already turned off. I've noticed before with jesse's tune, I would park the car and the fans where running loud while the car was idling, but as soon as I turned of the car, the fans stopped. I was expecting it to run the fans longer.

In my 996 turbo, the fans come on when parked for 5 or 10 minutes, turn off, but then turn on again as the heat is coming out of the engine.
But I must say, the V's engine bay gets quite hot no matter what. I park the car in the morning and in the evening the coolant temps are still in the 100s.

Hans.

#6 ·
Ken you need to be running the 160 degree tune or just putting in the thermostat will not make a major change. EXCEPT at high speeds, like 70mph and up..

After the tune the changes will be very noticeable as the temps will be in the 170-180s all the time from then on..

As for the temps when shutting off. That is what effects the fans staying running after you shut off the key. IF they are low already, the fans wont stay running. If it is hotter, then they will run. If it is REALLLY hot, then the high speed fans stay running. That is a amount of time i specify. I only make it really long running when in the racing mode tunes...

#7 ·
^^^ Well, Jess - I guess my motor is running a bit cooler with your tune then, because having the fans run after shutdown was a rather common event before. But it very seldom, if ever, happens now, with your perf. tune installed. :hmm: It was one of the first things I noticed after the install. I sure don't want my, 'oil boiling', like Razor says above ... :rolleyes:

Rob

#8 · (Edited)
Jesse- I do have your tune and it was supposed to be customized to the mods i purchased from you initially- WHICH INCLUDED THE 160 DEGREE TSTAT! Sorry for the loud capitols but I have pm'd you for a tune update now more than several times with no response. Also discussed this issue with Hannah. Please check your pm's. I have purchased other mods that need to be shipped and requested 3 updated tunes for my handheld- one to address my current mods INCLUDING THE TSTAT/FANS and 2 others to address the mods to be installed/added.
I ordered the additional coolant reservior as well due to concerns about engine temps. I would ideally like to resolve this temp problem with an e-mail tune update asap- thx!

#10 ·
It is for mine.

Bone stock car, 1710 miles on it.

Today at noon I started it up for the first time of the day, pulled it out of the garage and headed off on an errand. Exterior temps were 90 degrees F.

Within 2 miles of driving, and 5 minutes of time (I hit a stop light) the needle was at what I believe to be the 200 mark (last tick before the 220 indicator). This is where the car normally runs, and that's where it stayed for the rest of my trip. I just got home, and it was still at the same 200 mark.

#11 ·
I'm a rookie to this forum, my questions is "Has anyone used Thermagasket in a NorthStar motor"? I've used other sealants in steel block motors with good success, 15 years ago I was stranded in Charlotte, NC pulling a trailer with a 350ci Chevy custom van and blew a head gasket and used K&W block sealant it worked for about a year before I changed heads. The instructions are key, most people will not remove the sparkplugs etc. It's a 98 sev that I'm planning to buy several states away and drive back to Florida. The electric cooling fans went out, and now the owner is saying it overheats after 30miles. I'll change the water pump and thermostat. Could the new electric fans be installed or set wrong? The car is one owner 90,000 mile bueaty and priced at a steal, I can't help myself I want it.

#17 ·
The engine is designed to run at 190. Not sure why you guys are trying to mess with it. 190 was hot for a 1957 Bel Aire. 190 is considered cool for a modern engine. Running hot today is 220-230.

The bigger issue is when the cooling fans kick in, rather than the t-stat. I don't like the factory setting for the fans, which has them kick in pretty hot. So an aftermarket tune for lowering the temps the fans kick in is beneficial.

JMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.