Cadillac Owners Forum banner
19K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  Dr. Design 
#1 ·
Don't Wait To Order New Wheels For You New CTS-V!! D3 is offering 3 piece wheel options for your new CTS-V and from now through Friday, December 5th, 2008 ALL 3 piece wheels by Forgeline are on sale for 20% off MSRP! Wheels are built to order. Please contact our sales department for more details.

See less See more
#2 ·
Craig, what's the latest news on oversizing the rears? I know you guys were trying to get one to see what kind of minor mods could be done to squeeze into the next wider tire.

Thanks,
Jeff-

#5 ·
Any chance you can list the rotational inertia for each wheel (including the stock wheels)? It is pretty easy to measure - but very difficult to calculate. You would be one of the few people to ever do so and it would be the most helpful thing anyone could look at when buying wheels.

I understand that many people buy for looks only - but some of us would like to ensure that the change improves performance rather than decreases it.

What say you?

#12 ·
I agree that wheel weights affect performance. Its track proven.
I disagree that the factory put very much thought in, or designed this car around these specific wheels/weights. To hint that changing to a set of high quality 3 piece wheels that are close to factory sizes would skew performance of this tank seems a bit unfounded. I'd be willing to bet a cold beer that most brands of wheels chosen by this snobbish crowd (me included) would be at least a pound or two lighter per corner than stock.
All that being said,
I like 3A (or A3), but in the dark grey with the hoop coated also.

CSX, most wheel manufac offer the "blind side" option to hide the bling heads, not sure about Forgeline.

Jeff-

#14 ·
Jeff,

I think you bring up a really good question. There is so much talk about the "tuning" of the handling and suspension of these cars at the Nürburgring etc. etc., is it wise to change wheels or tires?

I agree that "most" people buy wheels for purely cosmetic reasons, but if you are going to spend $5K or more on a new set of wheels - wouldn't you like to know that the end result was not going to slow the car down or increase stopping distances?

Personally, I would like to make sure anything I spend big bucks on for my car actually improves the performance. If your choice came down to two different wheels - wouldn't you like to have the information to make an informed decision to be able to make the choice that improved rather than decreased your "performance"?

Also, un-sprung weight is important, but rotational inertia is more important. What do you guys think?

#13 ·
Ok, I think this post has veered a little off course. I could ask James to photochop some images, but remember the sale ENDS tomorrow. We did weight the wheels and the factory 19" wheel with tire weighs as much as our 3 piece wheel in a 20" wheel with tire so there would be minimal to no loss of performance.

#16 · (Edited)
Craig,

Thanks for your input, but I'm sure you realize that two wheels that weigh the same can easily have drastically different rotational inertia and thus result in significantly different performance impact. Admittedly, the later information is rarely available - however, D3 has a somewhat unique opportunity to be able to provide customers with this vital information further demonstrating that you guys are the "experts" in performance.

Don't misunderstand - weight would be valuable information - but providing rotational inertia data would really set your company apart from the competition.

Ed

#18 ·
So let me get this straight,
You guys think that a wheel of the same basic size and equal or probably lesser weight could have such a significantly different mass that it would effect the rotational inertia to such a degree that you would be able to notice it while you're hot lapping down to the Piggly Wiggly to get some Cheetos? This is hilarious! :histeric: I love hearing engineers debate.

#24 ·
Agree with every bit of that. Just commenting that the product that this thread was started about is high quality. What D3 is offering is a better styled (opinion), prolly lighter, strong as or stronger than OE wheel choice. There really is no reason to question if it would hurt the performance of an otherwise stock vehicle. Most are gonna buy stock sizes and run the OE tires, we aren't talking about putting China made 22s on. Why cast this shadow of a negative effect that won't even exist?

BTW gotapex, saw a couple of Moslers at SEMA with the Dyamags. Ultimate wheel pron! One was in the Nelson booth... 1800hp. Sick.

#25 ·
I think that it comes down to whether you are willing to spend $5K plus on looks that reduce performance at all or whether you want to make sure your investment improves performance. Without knowing the rotational inertia - it is very difficult to gauge.

I agree that for most - it isn't as important as looks.

#37 ·
Yeah, HRE aluminum centers on Dymag carbon fiber hoops. Releasing in Jan 09, with higher than Dymag pricing (eventhough Dymag uses lighter magnesium centers).

They're good looking wheels. I think that top one would look great on the CTS-V.

I studied up on these wheels to put on my daily driver (a Noble M400). I really want to get some of those Dymags, but it's hard to justify the price, with the dollar still being so weak. The ~50 lbs worth of unsprung, rotating weight savings would be awesome though, especially on a light car.

IMHO, the Forgeline products that the OP posted are great wheels. The ZX3R is my favorite in their lineup.

They're very strong, and surprisingly light at about 21-23 lbs or so (with titanium hardware upgrade option).

#46 ·
What's the weight on those 18s? What would a 19 weigh? What's the difference in weight with titanium fasteners? I'd prefer 19s, just because most non-stock/aftermarket 18s look so small on the V. It'd be nice to see what they'd look like fitted on the V beforehand. However, if these were to be dedicated track wheels...

I also prefer the Forgeline logo, in the first picture, without the black background. Are those just stickers put on there or are they painted on?

Yum yum.

#47 ·
Hello,
I dont have the exact weight of these wheels. I believe they are about 1.1-1.2 lbs./per inch. To upgrade up to the 19" configuration you are looking at adding about (1) lbs. If you change out to the titanium fasteners you are reducing weight by 3/4 of a lbs.

We had a CTSV a couple of months ago, but we werent allowed to take pictures. So we cant show what wheels looked like on the vehicle....They will look super sexy though!

As for the Forgeline logo decal. They have a bunch of different options. If you like the wat they look with the clear backround, just mention that when placing your order. The cool part about these lineup of wheels are they are the exact same wheels used in Grand AM Cup racing series. Very strong!!!

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.