Cadillac Owners Forum banner
9K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  Flyboy 
#1 ·
LOL, they call it "Cadzilla."

I'll post it when I get a chance.

#6 ·
The 4.5 in the summary at the end is a very conservative estimation as they themselves put it in the article:

Motor Trend said:
There are no performance figures yet, but by way of context, AMG's E63 Benz nails 60 mph in 4.3 seconds. The new CTS-V weighs about the same and has at least 43 more horses and 85 pound-feet more torque. Draw your own conclusions: The car also has been extensively tested on the legendary Nurburgring Nordschliefe, and while insiders are tight-lipped on the actual lap time -- for now -- they will admit Cadzilla has terrorized factory hotshoes from Munich out on the daunting 13-mile road course. "People who've never been passed by a Cadillac have now had that experience," smiles Piatek.

#4 ·
4.5 seconds is not "door sucking". It will be much lower. Lutz ain't no liar.

#5 ·
I have seen performance figures of less than 4 seconds somewhere but it is all speculation until the rubber meets the road with some road tests. I rememeber all the Super Bowl commericals a few years back when Cadillac was touting less than 5 seconds in all their V commericals - times have changed. That benchmark is obviously no longer good enough.

#8 ·
Come on, this will be in the very low 4's, if not 4-flat or faster.

Everyone, and I mean everyone in the automotive commmunity knows about the last CTS-V's weak rear end. On top of this, Lutz has been saying over and over how fast this V will be.
If Cadillac screws up and this car is a dog compared to what everyone is speculating, then there won't be another CTS-V. It'll probably be the end of the V series.
This CTS-V has to be as good as they have been speculating, or Cadillac will take a very hard hit that will take another 20 years to get out off.

I dont think we have anything to worry about, they wont let the V leave the factory without it being what they say it is.

#9 ·
The Caddy people told us "under 4."

#10 ·
When the first V arrived, Cadillac said 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. After a couple years of getting their butts handed to them by owners and the press because it couldn't do a 4.6 without launching the V like what they would acuse the owners of abuse they finally just said under 5 (which was right).

I can't blame MT for giving their rating with Cadillac's pass history with the V. After all it is only an estimate. A 4.5 will seem pretty weak though. Not really a big increase over the first Gen V that has 150 less HP. I would say it will hit 60 in the real low 4s pretty often. Probably right around 4.2-4.3.

I just hope the rear axle doesn't shatter itself on one of those first press lauches like the 04 V did.

#12 ·
If that is the case then the V will lose to the C63 when it comes out next year since it is based on the lighter C series. 0-60 figures are hard to compare unless you have the two cars in question racing side by side with the same driver and take out any driver mistakes.

#19 ·
When you think about it, does the 0-60 and 1/4 mile ET REALLY matter all that much? Now bare with me here. I'm certainly a power/speed junkie myself but when you think about it, the acceleration times posted in various magazines ALWAYS vary greatly so what's the use? I mean, a CTS-V enthusiast will always go with whatever the best posted time is, just like anyone else but when you factor in all the "other" times posted, it usually points to the fact that with cars at this level, it's quite easy for you to get your clock cleaned by virtually any car that's posted an even close acceleration time due to so many factors, none the least of which is driver capability.
In my mind, although I know it may not be the popular one, I really think that this car has MORE than enough power. Matter of fact, I seriously doubt anyone had an issue with the (by comparison) wimpy output of the Gen. 1 CTS-V. No, I think the power is NOT such a major concern on these cars, and for that reason should not garner such a lion's share of the attention in the car. I think everyone will be more than satisfied with the car's power and will ultimately be more concerned with other issues such as those that ended up being the major issues on the Gen. 1 car. Let's hope GM did their homework and tended to the rest of the car as well as they did the powerplant.

#20 ·
Katshot, it's important when Lutz publically proclaims the new V will suck the doors off an M5. He has to back that up.

#24 ·
Check the sticky! Looks like Lutz' has said it twice. Blow the doors off and again in the sticky quoted by Edmunds.

Soon we'll have numbers from the factory which will be the best possible conditions driven by an engineer. The real world numbers, as we have seen they have been stretched in both early C5 Z06 and early CTS-V as the C5 was chasing the Viper and the V chasing the Germans, will come soon. :)

Norm

#26 ·
Lutz was quoted in Motor Trend as saying "...it will suck the doors of an M5.", referring to the CTS-V. He again said, in the video from the NAIAS,
"......we believe this to be the fastest 4 door sedan in the world." I've never known Lutz to not deliver on a promise regarding price or performance. :thumbsup:

#28 ·
Well technically he did say the fastest, so in reality at 183mph or better, it actually is the fastest as the Germans are limited to 155mph. Unless you opt for one of the uber models.

I hope that he meant quickest and fastest. :thumbsup:

#29 ·
Regardless, anything close to being 155 or more is extremely fast no matter what kind of car it is. I'm not worried about the new V's power, it is the fit and finish I'm worried about such as sail panels falling off on the rear passengers' heads, radio button's paint chipping off, etc. The fact is that probably 70% of the new V owners will never reach 60% top speed and top 0-60 times will get you labeled as abuse by the service bay. The power is there in the new V, I'm just worried about the original issues.

#31 ·
It seems we've come full circle in this forum. I got blasted in a different thread for pointing out that the 2008 CTS has had no problems with falling sail panels, flaking buttons or any of the other silly quality goofs that the 1st gen CTS did, and the point still remains:

From a quality of assembly, fit and finish and quality of materials standpoint, the 2nd gen CTS (and therefore the V, by relation) are already a resounding success. Every magazine out there has been blown away by the quality and fit/finish, so there's nothing to worry about with the V in this regard.

#34 ·
For over six months.

As far as fit/finsh and quality, the differences between the CTS and V are elementary. Same sail panels, same dash, same nav, same door handles....we know that these items are top shelf. The only real X-factor is the drivetrain, as that's the only major change.

#35 ·
Yeah, I suppose that's true with respect to interior parts etc. that ARE carry over from the base car. I guess I'm more concerned about the whole package and mostly the items that are either unique to the "V" or items that will garner different reactions from "performance" minded owners.

#36 ·
What do you want to bet that Lutz' comment wasn't based on 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, but rather on best lap times around the Ring for the mules and/or pre-prods? If so, that would be perfect in my book: power+handling=f u c k an M5.

#37 ·
GM can't afford a missfire here. So you can bet there won't be. GM and its engineers know the failures of V1, replaying them over and over again serves no purpose. (did I just type that?). I'm confident that GM has addressed ALL of the issues and will deliver the trifecta quality, performance and value.

#39 ·
"In fact, the goal of the CTS-V is to be the fastest 8-cylinder production sedan in the world."

That is from the first paragraph of the Product Info page after clicking on '09 V Series from Cadillac.com

Does that mean Cadillac is leaving themselves an out, in the event that the doors on the BMW's V-10 M5 or the V-12s from MBZ remain securely attached the body?

Just askin' :hmm:

#40 ·
For the V to compete against V-10s and V-12s is an accomplishment. Usually it is the imports that have less number of cylinders.

I know the new CTS has great reviews and I'm hoping those quality problems mentioned don't show up in 6 months. That would leave the potential customers with no confidence. I don't believe they will make the same mistakes again also. That is why I think their performance stats will be conservative at first. Their mistake would be saying the car can get to 60 in x seconds and then practically no one in the world can achieve that stat without increasing the chances of damaging the power train.

I only wish they can fix the dealers (at least some of them also). I don't need to be told I'm abusing a car because the tires are wearing out at around 14k which was quite high for run craps on the V1 from what I have seen on this site or a rear axle that sounded like junk but is "normal".

#42 ·
But they DID originally go on record with a 4.8 0-60 on Gen. 1 cars, and it was for the most part, a solid number. I've seen test data showing slightly higher and lower numbers.
As for the Gen. 2 base CTS, I just read an article in Consumer Reports that basically gave it great reviews. A couple issues they didn't like were, A/C vents mounted too low on the dash, no "flash-to-pass" feature w/bi-xenon lamps, and no fold-down rear seats but overall they really seemed to like it.
I for one find myself asking whether Cadillac severely cut into "V" market customers by offering the DI engine car. It's overall performance, while substantially below the "V" should be more than sufficient for most customers.

#44 ·
Yeah, I realize that. I'm just wondering whether the new CTS w/DI V6 will be potent enough for all but the MOST hard-core. Gen. 1 base car was nothing compared to this DI-powered car. Granted, the new V is much more powerful too but then it's a good deal heavier and more expensive as well. I mean, I can buy a brand new '07 CTS-V for $10,000 less than the expected base price of the Gen. 2. I know because I just got quotes from a local dealer today. The point was just that although the new V is definitely a monster, is it TOO MUCH of a monster for most of the customers out there? I really had no idea the DI engine was so powerful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.