Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Oil Capacity? Manual says 6 quarts.

30K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  AAIIIC 
#1 ·
I asked the dealer if I could bring in my own oil and the answer was yes. (I realized I can get the oil for a lot less on my own.) I noticed the Owner's Manual says 6 quarts, but they have been charging me for 7. Is it 6 or 7?

Thank you very much in advance.

#5 ·
Thanks again.

Best of luck with the eBay sale this time! (I'm afraid I'm sort of in the market for a wagon, most likely much cheaper, and can't for the life of me drive a stick, so I couldn't help you on that.)

So, they have been taking me for an extra $8.99 plus tax each change, plus they will probably take my extra bottle of Mobil 1 EP this time huh? Arrrgh.

#10 ·
Thanks everyone! Going in this morning. Going to bring in 6 quarts and see what happens!!! 5 yrs and final service before the powertrain warranty is up. Next year I'll try to go it on my own with the Helm manuals. (I noticed on the site they are "Reproductions" now, and it notes that wiring diagrams are not reproducible and not included, but when I called, I called twice, the person on the other side said they did, and that they were always "reproductions". Anyone know anything about this? Kind of feel bad I didn't get them sooner....

#13 ·
I really can't say much more. I called twice as I was somewhat hesitant to order when I saw the note. The lady on the line first time I called had me wait while she checked something, and came back confident the wiring diagrams were in the "reproduction". I asked if they ran out of the originals, and she told me they never had originals, that they were always "reproductions". The next time I called the answer was the same, but this time no pause to check. (I assume it might be the same person I spoke to the first time.) The note is still there on the website, it is noted when you add the item to your cart. I did search through 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 versions, and found that whatever they had, are all listed as "reproduction", which I find strange as one would think for a 2014 for example that they might still have an "original" in stock, although this falls in line with what the lady said, that all they ever had are "reproductions". (I don't remember the 2015 being in stock.)

I put in six quarts and it is low on the dipstick. Takes almost 6.5 for me.
The dealer didn't charge me anything beyond the filter and service, so I made it through without an extra quart. Oil change special at Autozone is pretty competitive in price, but Walmart has very competitive pricing on Mobil 1/Mobil 1 EP as well. I buy extra from Walmart because the 5 quarts from Autozone doesn't always fit the bill. (Maybe I need to check the dipstick now that you mention this!) I also brought in 4 gallons of prediluted Peak Global Lifetime Antifreeze, from the manual I calculated total volume of engine and intercooler system as 3.75 gallons if I remember corrrectly. (At 5 years/100k miles one is supposed to have the coolant changed.) But they didn't use quite a bit of it. I was so concerned as they left 2 gallon bottles in the car that I popped the hood to have a look if they did the intercooler, and found it somewhat low. Turns out they used 2 gallons and some of the third, but not 3 and most of the 4th like I calculated. (Hopefully this doesn't affect the warranty Old World Industries provides for the coolant. I went out of my way to find it the day before I brought the car in. Finally found it available at Walgreens!)

When you change your oil, is the car level? I know some DIYers just lift the front up. Maybe some oil isn't draining out using this method, and that is why there is a discrepancy of 0.5 quarts?

#16 ·
Well, I guess I better warm her up today and find out. The service adviser always reminds me to let him know if I ever trade it in, (actually that's my parents' decision, but I leave that part out.) I just help take care of it and get to drive it as a perk. I'll be back with what I can find. I'm pretty sure the car is horizontal/not front lifted for the change so I'll update as well. I better check on the coolant levels before I drive off....

----------

BTW- Pretty good deal at Symes, $25 labor for the oil change, $6.95 for the filter. Filter is the same price it was last year. (I calculated that their filter was cheaper than the one that comes with the Autozone Mobil1 special, so I just kept the Mobil1 filter for future use.

#22 ·
Most of the time I've read to measure when warm, while there is a slight coating around the engine. I agree that volume of a fluid does not change much with temperature. Strangely, there was one BMW of an acquaintance of mine that said to measure cold, I'm guessing it was an E46?

This pisses me off so much!!!! I hate friggin other people touch my car enough and then you would think a Cadillac dealer with supposedly Cadillac trained technicians would be instructed to type in whatever VIN and information pops up as of what to do for the service listed. Like how many quarts and what type of oil to use. End rant.

Luckily, at my dealership there is a mechanic there I super trust. He restores 60's and 70's Vettes in his spare time. So to me, that says something.
Luckily our V doesn't get much use to cause harm if they did overfill! (I honestly didn't check. I was impressed with how my tires were not touched/were left at the correct pressures.) We're at just about 5k on the ODO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.