Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New appreciation for my V dash....

4K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  stl_ls1gto 
#1 ·
After driving a new XTS loaner for a day, I have to say, I really appreciate the real buttons and simplicity of the dash and controls.
I have never experienced such a cluster&*^% of badly designed and executed "touch me gently" controls. What a disaster.
Whoever designed that POS cue system should be drawn and quartered.
90% of the time, touching said controls resulted in nothing. nada. If you are lucky enough to get it to respond at all it's so surprising that you immediately pull you finger off and have to start over.
Now I push my real buttons and twiddle the volume control knob in the V just for kicks. lol... ugh.

#4 ·
While I agree that Cadillac could have done a lot better than CUE, I don't think it's as bad as you're describing - a lot of people think the touch sensitive surface is the little chrome bars that underline all the controls in the center stack, but they're not. The touch sensitive part is actually right above those bars. Once you realize that, you start getting a 100% hit rate on the controls. The bars are there to act as guides. I don't think this is the best design, especially since it's not intuitive, but it does make a difference when you start hitting it in the right place.

#5 ·
Cadi should work with Apple's Human Interface group to redesign CUE. It works but is not intuitive.

#8 ·
It would be nice if manufacturers made these systems available as plug and play kits to swap in to older Vs f you like Cue or Apples new iCar. Or for backwards compatible for those that might want more buttons. I understand it's not that simple, but I'm not buying a new car for some new touch radio and factory support to upgrade would be nice.

#9 ·
I've had a couple loaner XTS and CTS and it feels like I spend more time looking at the "buttons" trying to press in the correct area, taking my eyes off the road longer. I'm sure over time I would get used to it but the buttons seem more clustered together, leaving larger room for error. At least now when I press a button it does what I want.

#15 ·
Just had an XTS loaner myself and couldn't agree more with the OP. I found it nearly impossible to find "the sweet spot" so that the controls would respond to my touches. I appreciate much of what CUE offers (i.e., streaming music through Bluetooth), however, the responses of the soft buttons are inconsistent at best.

#17 ·
I agree! I have been using an ATS as a loaner for a few days .... and while the Cue seems like a good attempt to streamline things and it looks pretty cool .... they have over-complicated what should be very simple functions. Changing the radio station and volume, as well as temperature, are really frustrating --- a lot of fumbling around just to change the volume.

#18 ·
I cannot comment myself as I've not used the system. My V has been to reliable so no loaners...When I read comments like its too hard to adjust the volume, well I wonder. Aren't there discrete buttons on the steering wheel to adjust the volume? I think alot of the complaints are just not being familiar with the layout of the controls. A friend has an XTS and he really likes cue, and he is no techie.

#21 ·
With the steering wheel controls, many commands are redundant. I think if you actually owned a car with CUE and had all the presets done to your tastes and everything else was fully tailored, most of these complaints would be rescinded...

#22 ·
thebigjimsho said:
With the steering wheel controls, many commands are redundant. I think if you actually owned a car with CUE and had all the presets done to your tastes and everything else was fully tailored, most of these complaints would be rescinded...
I would tend to agree. I have driven a couple of loaners with CUE. Most of the time you'll use the steering wheel controls and voice command.

I largely use voice commands now to set destinations and make calls even with the outdated tech in my V.

#23 ·
When I drove the new CTS 2.0t I noticed the steering wheel rear buttons were somewhat hard to reach length and keep my full grip on the wheel, and I have long fingers (please no jokes). To me if they were located a little higher up on the steering wheel they would be more accessible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.