Cadillac Owners Forum banner

V is for Vent

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  v132 
#1 ·
Not air vents, unfortunately. I want to vent. I had made an appointment for today to test-drive a CTS-V. When I made the appointment, I very clearly asked if there would be a manual transmission CTS-V (coupe, sedan, or wagon). They said they'd have a manual coupe, along with an auto CTS wagon I could look at to get a feeling of the size and layout. When I got there, they did not have any manual CTS-V models, nor did they have any CTS wagons. I was a little disappointed, but I asked to drive the auto CTS-V coupe. The handling and ride is truly wonderful, and it is clear the engine will be an absolute pleasure even in very heavy traffic. It's very, very smooth, even at very low speeds. During the test ride, I asked the salesperson about switching the magnetic ride control from touring to sport, and he said that there was no such option on the Coupe. I really, really would have liked to compare the two modes while driving the car. I'm certain that he was wrong, given how often I've read about the modes on this forum, but I didn't want to pull over and try and find how to do it by doing google searches on my phone.

When the test ride was done, I told them I liked the car quite a bit but given that I want a stick I wanted to be able to come back on another day and
a) test drive either a coupe, sedan, or wagon with a stick, and
b) see a CTS wagon

They said that they knew of a manual wagon at another dealer, and if I wanted to put down a deposit they would get the wagon for me. I told them I was not buying a manual CTS-V without test driving another manual CTS-V first. They then offered the option of ordering the wagon, with a large deposit. I again told them I was not buying a manual CTS-V without test driving another manual CTS-V first. We had this somewhat circular discussion for a while, and then they grudgingly told me where this manual wagon was. It's actually not too bad of a drive to get there, so I'll go to the other dealer and try it out.

I really left the dealer with a bad taste in my mouth, and unfortunately I don't want to work with them. It's too bad, as they are by far the most conveniently located dealer in terms of bringing in the car for service.

Seriously, is it too much to insist on test driving a manual CTS-V (especially if I'm willing to try a coupe, sedan, or wagon) before putting down any deposits? I think it's entirely reasonable, and even if I'm wrong I'm still not buying a manual CTS-V unless I can drive one first.

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
Exactly.

When I'm shopping for a luxury vehicle, I expect stellar service; if the salesman won't AT LEAST do what I ask or ignores my requests, I'll go somewhere else until I'm satisfied.

In my opinion, that dealer knew he had you when you agreed to test -drive the auto transmission, despite his assurance that he'd have a manual shifter. He outright lied to you and you let him get away with it.

The luxury auto market is highly competitive--especially around the Holidays. You see all the commercials being aired right now by Cadillac, Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. So your salesperson should be making sure he's doing everything and then some to earn your business.

I also agree with the other poster: post up the name of the dealer for all to see.

#3 ·
100% agree. There is no reason to settle or continue to deal with these schmucks. It's worth the time to make the trip to the other dealer so you can test drive a manual. Many of us have had excellent experiences with our dealerships. Good luck in your search.

#4 ·
vfaninva said:
100% agree. There is no reason to settle or continue to deal with these schmucks. It's worth the time to make the trip to the other dealer so you can test drive a manual. Many of us have had excellent experiences with our dealerships. Good luck in your search.
+3. Move on. Don't buy jack until you test drive what you want. I will tell you though that from a seat of the pants standpoint the shock settings mimic each other....until you throw it into a corner!

#5 ·
I bought at a dealer that was not as convenient for me but get it serviced at a dealer close to my work. Some may have something to say about this, but I have observed that at the dealer the sales and service are two separate entities. I personally wouldn't boycott the service dept because I dont like the sales dept. Should you expect a Cadillac dealer to have the best of both worlds, yes. But it doesn't always happen, no.

#6 ·
All V's have magnetic ride control and can sequence between normal, competition mode, and all electronic weenies off. If he told you the coupe does mort do it….he is a stupid sales guy. Do him a favor and go back to the same place and show him how to do it. SEarch here, and you will get detailed instructions.

#12 ·
No one addressed your question of MRC. The button is at the top of the center stack. Just under the NAV screen to the left.

It looks like a shock absorber.
Agree. That's where it is on my 2014 V Coupe.

As has been said, you can't feel the difference unless you toss it.

And all the Vs have MRC.
Disagree. The difference is quite noticeable. The car is much less floaty, you get quite a bit more road feedback, and transient steering response is significantly reduced. The car's not as tossible as my Z06, but in Sport mode the suspension feels about as stiff (though in the interests of full disclosure, my Z is in dire need of some shocks and bushings).

#8 ·
Manual tranny V's are the exception not the rule, and it costs money to get a car there from another dealer. these guys are schmucks because they told you that they would have a manual and didn't....but is it impractical to ask them to get you a car from another dealer just so that you can test drive it.

You met them and if you don't want to deal with them, then by all means, don't. But their unwillingness to get a car just for you to test drive is understandable. (IMO).

#10 ·
Manual tranny V's are the exception not the rule, and it costs money to get a car there from another dealer. these guys are schmucks because they told you that they would have a manual and didn't....but is it impractical to ask them to get you a car from another dealer just so that you can test drive it.
Exactly! Glad someone finally said it, and in a much nicer way than I would have

#13 ·
Thank you all for letting me vent. I feel better. :)

I certainly agree that I can't expect the dealer to fetch a manual CTS-V wagon for me to test drive. The only concrete thing I hold them to task for is telling me that they had a manual CTS-V for me to test drive, when they didn't, and telling me they had a wagon, which they didn't. On top of that, I just did not feel very good when I left the dealer.

I don't want to name any names, but it's the closest dealer to the GWB, for those from the area.

On a somewhat related note, I've been testing other wagons. Both the Subaru dealer and the Volkswagen dealer (also the dealers closest to the bridge) were quite clear in telling me, in advance of my visit, that they didn't have manual transmissions available for a test drive and instead invited me to drive the automatic. I had no problem with that.

I'll check out the CTS-V wagon at the dealer in Long Island. It's not a bad drive at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.