Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: Differential overheating and seal leak

Trionalaw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Differential overheating and seal leak

Last weekend at a driving school on my fifth session, my differential overheating light came on. Of course, I immediately slowed and returned to the paddock. This occurred about 28 minutes into a 30 minute session. The last session of the day was only 20 minutes. The light did not come on.

I replace the original differential fluid with high-performance fluid after my first driving school and the light came on. Three driving schools later, this is the first that it came on. I have to say that I was pushing the car harder than I ever had. That may account for it.

Nonetheless, I took it in. Dealer found a leaking seal and thinks perhaps that the sensor noted the fluid had dropped a little and therefore the light came on. I would suspect that if they have to replace the seal they have to replace the fluid. I wonder if it will charge me the difference between OEM fluid and the higher performance fluid?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jb_bgg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black/Black V, Manual, Recaros, loaded

Re: Differential overheating and seal leak

The faster you get and the harder you push the sooner you'll need a diff cooler for track use.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

The sensor doesn't follow levels. It's a temp sensor. You're just overheating the fluid with aggressive driving. Cooler time!

Trionalaw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

I guess you are right. I probably should look at it as some sort of achievement since I'm going fast enough to need one!

Have a great weekend.

Jim

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

Quote Originally Posted by Trionalaw View Post
    I guess you are right. I probably should look at it as some sort of achievement since I'm going fast enough to need one!

Have a great weekend.

Jim
    Gold calipers and a diff cooler are sure signs you are having some fun on the road courses!!!!! I would get it most days over 50F after about 15 minutes worth of hard driving. With a cooler the light never comes on.