Cadillac Owners Forum banner

how ba[d] is the 09 a6??

5K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  M2V 
#1 ·
So I'm looking for a more family friendly CTSV to replace my 900 hp v1.

The a6 appeals to me but I don't know how bad or good it is compared to the manual. I spend about 2 hours a day in traffic so I really dont want a m6 but I also dont want a shity auto to ruin a bad ass car for me.

I plan to keep it on the stock tune for the next 70k and then maybe turn it up a little.

How do you guys like the automatic any complaints, benefits, stupid comments

-alex

#2 ·
While I would prefer a manual for track days, an auto is great for me as a daily driver even in stock form. The paddle shifters are not very useful due to the massive delay but other than that I think it is a great tranny. Now I have over 600hp at the wheels and my tranny is tuned and it is significantly better than stock form but the paddle shifters are still pretty useless IMO. Overall I think it is a pretty darn good trans. It is also quicker in the 1/4 than the manual.

#18 ·
Im sure it has. But the search button on here sucks.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to tell me it's already been discussed without providing any actual opinion and or information...
It's here. Sorry you couldn't find it.

Also discussed a trillion times is how to search. Skip the search engine here. Use Google. Under the results, find posts from cadillacforums and click on it. Voila, all CF results...

#6 ·
To save you some time, the auto is fine and the manual is fine. What it's going to come down to is which type of transmission you prefer. If you prefer to drive manuals, you're not going to be happy with the auto but you will love the manual. If you are fine with autos, then the auto will be fine. On a day to day basis that's all that's going to matter.

You may want to see if you can test drive both before deciding, the auto and the manual drive like two different cars.

#7 ·
All of my cars over the last 15 years or so have been manuals. It just starting to get alttle tiresome in traffic and such. I "think" id be ok with the auto. Its just so hard to tell if id be happy with it in the long run.

I did drive a 13 model a6 and I liked it a lot but its hard to tell on such a short test drive.

I just dont want to spend 40k and end up regretting it one way or the other

#8 ·
runsfromdacops,

I intended to be helpful. There is more than enough information and opinion in the discussion on this forum three weeks back on 8/21, as I stated. Just go back five pages to that date and see the post third from the bottom for lots of good info. Sorry you took my reply the wrong way.

#9 ·
#10 ·
I was in same boat with you but Ive decided on going with the manual. Just way too many isues and horror stories about the stock GM auto slushbox. Not neccessarily in the V but its your basic auto . Aint nothing special about it IMO. Now if a DCT was available it would be entirely different story.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
I agree the search on here can be a pain. Most times a google search with proper key words will net you much better searching results. My .02 is go with the auto if your worried about your commute. On the other hand think about your dunking abilities after using the clutch pedal. ;)

#13 ·
The 6AT in this car is pretty bulletproof. Rare stock failures and most failures you hear about are north of 600-650 whp.

You want transmission horror stories? Try the early 2000s Honda 5ATs. THOSE gave people some horror stories.

#14 ·
I read that whole thread and was more looking for how's the transmission felt as opposed to which would be my preference. Also interested in the failure rate of auto vs Manuel. I know in the v1 the shifting was terrible both because of a crappy transmission as well as the remote shifter bushings motor mounts all contributing two s***** shifter feeling. Tgats the kinda info im looking for. What is comin to fail on tge autos? Are there any known fixes for the whatever problems exist?

#16 ·
Honestly I'm not aware of any auto trans failure on the V. It's a stout transmission, you shouldn't have any problems with it. The TR6060 manual is an excellent manual transmission, in terms of reliability or solidity you shouldn't have any problems either way. In terms of how it feels, the auto is not as fast as a dual clutch unit but it's strong enough to handle the power and it can be tuned to shift faster too. The manual has a nice short throw and it's really solid. Good positive engagement.

Like I said I think it really is going to come down to your own personal preference. I don't think there are any overwhelmingly negative aspects of either one that would push you one way or the other, it's just about which transmission type you like better.

#20 ·
I have a 2012 CTS-V A6. It's fabulous as a daily driver and with the improved software ( and hardware I believe) in the 2012's and later is very quick with staged upshifts and rev matches on downshifts. You drove a 2013, so you're familiar. Not a DCT, but very quick. Much easier in daily driving traffic and still a lot of fun with the paddles.

#21 ·
runsfromdacops said:
I read that whole thread and was more looking for how's the transmission felt as opposed to which would be my preference. Also interested in the failure rate of auto vs Manuel. I know in the v1 the shifting was terrible both because of a crappy transmission as well as the remote shifter bushings motor mounts all contributing two s***** shifter feeling. Tgats the kinda info im looking for. What is comin to fail on tge autos? Are there any known fixes for the whatever problems exist?
Did you have a V1? I had one and you're talking about the manual in some other car, The TR6060 has shorter throws and is slightly smoother, that's it.

Jud

#22 ·
In general I hate automatics and the feeling of being out of control whilst going down a hill. However the manual cts-v no better in this area. Even in cruise control, going down a hill, the manual trans provides little engine deceleration. Thanks to the throttle by wire I suppose. My wife's automatic merc 550 does a better job of slowing you down a hill without hitting the brakes. And doing it with a much smaller engine! Still, I'd rather have the manual.

#23 ·
I have an A6 V. Before I used to drive manuals (Mustang GT, WRX, MS3, S4, etc). Overall, I am satisfied with it, even though I miss the fun of a stick sometimes. Here is some info regarding the V's trannies:

The A6 can go to ~170 mph whereas the M6 goes to ~190 mph. An M6 would obviously do better on a Texas Mile race.

0-60 times are better in the A6, since it is obviously easier to launch. An A6 would do better in an 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag race.

The Nurburgring record was achieved using an A6 in sports mode. I've also gotten my best track times using it; it is awesome. Though it is quite jarring to use on daily driving.

As for mods, the A6 can handle more power initially, like at a certain hp point it would still be good where an M6 would need an aftermarket clutch.

Like other posters said, the A6 manual mode shifts somewhat slow. It is not a DCT by any means, but it shifts quite faster than other slushboxes (such as my Audi's tiptronic). With some practice, it can be made a lot of fun. I've gotten used to its timing, and I drive mine in manual mode almost all the time, with smooth shifting. Though I still prefer using auto sports mode at the track, particularly since the buttons are poorly placed where I find myself shifting accidentally (a set of aftermarket paddle shifters would be nice).

#24 ·
The auto was one of my main complaints on my CTS-V, to me it just had a disconnected feel and you felt like the large torque converter was just draining engine power and fuel efficientcy, after all I believe this trans was designed for a 3500 GM truck originally and retrofitted into the Cadillac. I really like the auto in my AMG, they did away with the torque converter so it feels like a lot more of direct connection like the STD trans does with less power losses and excellent efficientcy.

G
#25 ·
Yes, the auto does give a disconnected feel. The auto does have a history of failure - just look at the other forums or google it. One huge benefit for the manual is its efficiency. You have far less driveline loss (roughly half) and you also can get far better gas mileage. In my manual 2010 V, I was getting 19-24 mpg. For daily driving, the manual is the absolute best choice.
When I see automatic V's, I think of automatic corvettes. Makes me laugh and think "why would they do that?".

#27 ·
I don't know why GM has not followed the Europeans and gone dual clutch design automatics, much more like a STD trans, faster more positive shifts. I even like the PDK in my VW better than the Cadillac auto. I guess if you do end up with a CTS Auto can always do a trans tune, that helps out, but then you might void your warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.