Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Track ability, community, livability...is the v still a top choice?

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  shchow 
#1 ·
Apologize for the long post ahead of time...

I've been lurking here for years as well as ***************. I have also been going to cars and coffee in MD (church of holy donut and Katie's) for the past 7 years EVERY weekend when I am around.

I am now in the position to buy a vehicle that needs to fill multiple needs. Those needs are

Trackability- I enjoy tracking cars, not dragstrip (never done that, maybe I would), but setting lap times to work on improving. Also, scca and autocross events interest me. There is a lot of opportunity for that where I live with Summit Point and autocross events a few miles from me. I desire a car that has a good combination of toss ability with daily driver ability. I drive a good amount for work but also have an old tsx for long trips or sh1tty city parking days. I plan on keeping the tsx for only these days, or snow.

Community- there is a strong presence of ctsv's at the cars and coffee events, not so much at autocross events and track days. I feel that this community aspect is very important as I like to attend everts and hang out with people with a similar interest or passion.

Livabilty- the vehicle is going to be my primary dd when long trips or city parking in not so hot areas come into play. Is the car a comfortable and reasonable car to live with daily.

I have narrowed my searches to really 3 cars considering the above "wants/needs" , they are

Ctsv- obviously. It checks all boxes except, from what I've read, tossability. When it comes to tossing it into turns during daily driving or at the track, weight and nimbleness are not talked about here.

M3- large community. Good or bad depending on stigma of owning an m3. Great track car. Concern, does the handling outweigh the lack of torque? Reliability? I think I know the answer here. Have also read its a good dd.

G8 gt- large community, great dd. may lack track or autocross dynamics. Would not be so concerned with long trips or city parking as it flys under the radar and gets good mileage considering performance.

I know this is a v forum, but I'm not posting this in the other car forums as I have seen this is the most honest forum. There is bias of course but when there is a reasonable better choice the members here are more likely to recommend the best choice vs. what they own.

In your opinion, which vehicle would provide for the most satisfaction across all my wants/needs?

Great forum, thank you for your input.

See less See more
#2 ·
The V is definitely a heavy car. Pushes in turns a lot. Eats tires and brakes, I'm talking track tires and brakes.

I track quite a bit. The V is a handful in the corners but very stable. I also learned HOW TO DRIVE the car on track with an instructor driving. Much more fun using his techniques. A heavy car requires different tactics IMO.

Having said all that, I regularly pass M3's at the track but don't see many G8's.... I'm not stock. And I LOVE the V for daily driving.

I guess you know what I think :) Good luck with your decision.

#7 ·
I see it this way:

I test drove an M3 and found the interior to be a very UNspecial place to be. Nothing tugs your heart when you sit in that car. The engine was so so. A touch quicker than my 370Z but not special enough to pull the trigger and change. The V definitely feels special. A very nice blend of luxury and sport. It's not an autocross monster and it is expensive as a track car. I now see it as a highway burner and LOVE it. There is no compromise as a daily driver. It's actually one of the most comfortable cars I've travelled in. Better than two Audis I've previously owned. Realistically for a daily driver, it's better to have a great DD car and a decent autocross car than vice versa. My 370Z was great for autocross and fun to drive. But the road noise and harsh ride wore on me over the years. I couldn't be happier with my V. And again, I found the M3 pretty boring in all respects.

#8 ·
I am going to have to check out some of the social drives for each. This category is probably ranked least,important of the three since both have pretty strong followings.

Local carmax has both m3 and v in stock, going to go there to sit in both. Interiors are important.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
There is no larger, single, unified, organized presence at the track events than the V gang of the Cadillac Challenge. It's a family. We paddock together, some of us vacation together, we look after each other. The company we keep is frankly more of what I look forward to than the actual tracking itself. I had an amg and an m3 but there was never any sense of community. I can't speak for where you are, only for the great bunch of owners here in CA and NV, but the V has been by far the best automotive ownership experience (for the reasons and concerns you raised) that I've ever had.

As for ability? I spent a full day at Buttonwillow spanking, and I do mean spanking, two Gt3's and two GTR's, competently driven, alllllll day long. They simply watched me sit pole every run group whole they enjoyed 2-5, haplessly. And at Big Willow, 3 of the top five fastest laps of the weekend were V's. that's against everything from ZR-1's and Vipers, to Porsches and what have you. To be fair, those three are stock, but most of the competition ain't either. ;-) We are serving notice out here.

#11 ·
Good questions. I had an 09 V sedan that I used in much the same way as you describe. Community is also important to me, as I find that a big part of the ownership experience. Unfortunately, I live in a small city that does not have much of an auto enthusiast crowd (excluding modded turbo diesel pickups). Even with that, I was surprised how known and respected the V2 was. Since it is a cousin to Corvette, it seems to be respected by the Corvette clubs and people. I can't speak to the BMW community other than I have done some track days with a BMW club and they seemed to be pretty intense in their cars.

As for DD use, V2 is awesome with one exception - fuel range. It has a small tank that will get you maybe 300 miles if you are driving nicely on the highway. I recall a couple tanks around 200 miles. The MPG is not good, but not all that bad either, it is just the small tank. Refueling every other day is not out of the question if you drive a lot.

On the track, it is heavy and does push a little in turns, but overall a VERY fun and competent track car. It never felt dangerous or out of control to me, even with some power oversteer. The weight is hard on the brakes, and of course tires. This is true with most any car on the track though. The magnetic shocks are truly amazing and do a great job on making the car jekyl and hyde for street/track use.

I have had 2 Z06s (C5 and Z07 C6), and although the Z (especially the Z07) are great track cars, I am strongly considering getting back into a V for all the reasons you described.

#12 ·
Thank you for all the feedback.

Track ability - Since this car is mainly a dd that will have to play many roles, I am realizing that having good performance is good enough. My original hopes of tossing this car around are unrealistic and after hearing all the responses, I don't think I care about that as much now. As someone said it does many things good, where other cars have significant compromises. I am good with that.

Community - I have spoken to a few v owners at the cars and coffee events , seem like a great group. Hopefully I can make it to the donut tomorrow. My USTA team is in the district final at 8am, not sure if I'm on the roster yet.

Live ability- outside of not being able to use the car for what it's capable of every single day, everyone has had great things to say about living with the v everyday.

I keep my cars for as long as they run, currently have tsx with 200k and rdx with 100k. Both my wife and I drive 30k+ a year. My intention would be to keep the v that long as well. after it serves as a dd I'd love to turn it into a track car.

Reliability? Other that rocking recaros, squeaking sunroof, wheel clicking, and marbles in the supercharger is there anything else that may have long term reliability issues?

#14 ·
Plus the V is almost invisible to cops. They love to pull over Z and M3 cars. Happened to me in my Nismo but they seem to ignore the V. I've been cruising at 80 in the V and cops just go by with a glance over. In my Z I would have been busted. Cops love to ticket BMW douches.

#15 ·
Meinbeast said:
Thank you for all the feedback.

Track ability - Since this car is mainly a dd that will have to play many roles, I am realizing that having good performance is good enough. My original hopes of tossing this car around are unrealistic and after hearing all the responses, I don't think I care about that as much now. As someone said it does many things good, where other cars have significant compromises. I am good with that.

Community - I have spoken to a few v owners at the cars and coffee events , seem like a great group. Hopefully I can make it to the donut tomorrow. My USTA team is in the district final at 8am, not sure if I'm on the roster yet.

Live ability- outside of not being able to use the car for what it's capable of every single day, everyone has had great things to say about living with the v everyday.

I keep my cars for as long as they run, currently have tsx with 200k and rdx with 100k. Both my wife and I drive 30k+ a year. My intention would be to keep the v that long as well. after it serves as a dd I'd love to turn it into a track car.

Reliability? Other that rocking recaros, squeaking sunroof, wheel clicking, and marbles in the supercharger is there anything else that may have long term reliability issues?
My two cents since you asked for it:

The reliability mentioned above about marbles, etc is really dependent on how you drive the car, and luck of the draw.

I, believe this car is more than a car, Cadillac, or 4 wheels. It is NOT created to be a daily driver. thats silly to say, given the gas tank is tiny,and atleast mine, doesnt look like you would WANT to drive it daily - its a jet on wheels! just my opinion. I purchased this car because although s550 has it all, this car is it.. And didn't want to lease a Lamborghini (I can't fit in one anyway!) or other any exotic, when this car gives me all the thrills.

V may HAVE to be a daily driver for some folks, is what it is, but I believe the V to be something of a treat to yourself.

Cadillac created this car to say something about the thrill of driving. Its a racecar, not something you take in a parking garage everyday, get your coffee in or eat left jack n box for lunch in the car. some may disagree. but My car was bought as a toy, an experience to be felt everytime I turn her on. The car were talking....but I treat 'her with emotion.

I own a viper, c6 Vette, charger, (sold) 2013 s550 twin turbo, and will say this car is the best in terms of sleekness and $70,000 price tag.

Hope whatever you decide to get, you are happy with.

#16 ·
I own both a 2010 3 series m with an auto and a 2012 v with sedan with an auto . The v is way more car as far as interior the BMW interior is more like a vw . The BMW is a better handling car I know all about the v beating the 3 series but its because of the horsepower . The BMW is and will be better for auto cross if your into that . Because of the balance. and you can toss it and it will go where your looking . The V is just way nose heavy and on the short tight turns you better own stock in a tire company . The V is just as good on the longer fast turns maybe even better . As far as power the V is great stock I changed the pulley and added a second inter cooler with a air intake it's an animal now on the road course with the traction control off it looks like a drifting contest .way fun but your gonna pay for the rubber it will wipe out . Given a choice I drive the V my wife drives the M . The V at the drag strip is way big fun it smokes Shelby's Vetts challengers amg 63 and the list goes on and that is with the stock ps2 tires . If I could afford it I would own a 911 turbo S it costs as much as a small house . And about as much to maintain as the space shuttle . That's my 2 cents any way . The V is my choice even over a Vette or a exotic car . It does it all and does it all well .

#18 ·
My lease ends the end of July 2013 and considered the F10 M5, CLS63.
Would SERIOUSLY consider the next E63, but won't be out in time.
The problem is they all have a 25-30k premium, and much higher than your 45-50k budget.
They are not better enough for me to spend the extra dough (maybe the new E63).
So I ordered another 2014 V, but manual this time :)

And I have never ordered the same car twice.
Hope that tells you how pleased I am with this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.