Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What are you guys using to clean your 3M clear bra?

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Kyle_B 
#1 ·
I was hand washing my car this morning and I just can't take it anymore. The scratches and swirls and chips are driving me crazy. Any advice on products, items needed, and technique would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#4 ·
Yeah the gouges and dents are not what I'm worried about. It is the swirl and scratch marks. I was thinking trying Meguiar's Ultimate Polish with a random orbital and see the results. Everything I have checked out says there are no 'real' products for clean/polishing and waxing clear protectant. Was checking to see if anyone has tried this or similar.

#6 ·
How is your clear bra getting so scratched up and swirled up? Do you live someplace where sand storms are common? I've had clear bras on my last three daily drivers and when sold years later, other than a few rock chips, they are generally in good shape. I Zaino mine just like I Zaino the rest of the car and it keeps things looking good. *shrugs*

#9 ·
I live N. Illinois 1-1/2 hr. from Chicago. My car has been DD for all 4 years, almost 5. Que winter, sleet, snow, slush, salt, highway, dirt/gravel, IL road construction etc. My baby ain't no garage queen :)

Thanks guys for the information. I will plan on doing nothing. Better to have, then have not I guess.

#13 ·
Clear bras should be treated the same as the finish from a detailing perspective. If they have swirls, these can be removed via a polisher (such as a porter 7424) and the right combination of pads and polishes. I would probably start with Meguiars 205 and an orange pad. If that doesn't work, move to Meguiars 105 with a less aggressive pad, and follow that with 205 and less aggressive pad. I would also top it with whatever sealant/wax/LSP you use on the car as a whole.

Just be careful on the bra and start with the least aggressive approach first, moving toward more aggressive if needed. And keep your polisher speed down unless more is required.

#18 ·
When in direct sunlight I can see the swirl marks from washing, weather, etc. I don't know how all these other clear bra's are immaculate. Perhaps I got some cheap knockoff. But... the dealer already had it installed before I bought and have the paperwork. I think I'll just try some Meguiars and see what happens.

#19 ·
I hear ya. Before i had a fender bender and had my front end replaced along with the clear bra, my was looking a little rough and dull and waxing wasn't enough. Best thing to do is talk to a professional detailer to find out what to do. I'm also going to be using Adam's products for the first time tomorrow.

#20 ·
I hear ya. Before i had a fender bender and had my front end replaced along with the clear bra, my was looking a little rough and dull and waxing wasn't enough. Best thing to do is talk to a professional detailer to find out what to do.
Semi-professional...

As I mentioned, MOST clear bras should be treated the same as the finish from a detailing perspective and WILL benefit from polishing and application of polymer-type wax.

If your bra has swirls or haze, these can be removed via a DA polisher (such as a porter cable 7424) and the right combination of pads and polishes. I am going to alter my recommendations from earlier in the thread*** on this though.

Start with Meguiars 205 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html) or Menzerna Final Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-final-polish.html) and a 5" white, Lake County CCS pad. If that doesn't work, move to a more aggressive orange CCS pad. And keep your polisher speed down unless more is required!!!
***I don't think Meguiars 105 is necessary, and I think starting with a white pad is a less aggressive approach

People are saying they are getting great results on clear bras with Blackfire Wet Diamond... http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wet-diamond-sealant.html This is an excellent polymer wax (technically a sealant).

You can get all of these products from Detailers Domain, or Autogeek, or wherever. I usually use Autogeek as they have a lot of sales.

NOTE: If you are swirling up your bra, you are probably swirling your paint too. I am guessing this is occuring during washed. There is probably swirling/marring occuring when the car is washed and dried. If you are going through a swirl-o-matic car automatic car wash, you are probably in trouble...

#22 ·
Semi-professional...

As I mentioned, MOST clear bras should be treated the same as the finish from a detailing perspective and WILL benefit from polishing and application of polymer-type wax.

If your bra has swirls or haze, these can be removed via a DA polisher (such as a porter cable 7424) and the right combination of pads and polishes. I am going to alter my recommendations from earlier in the thread*** on this though.

Start with Meguiars 205 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html) or Menzerna Final Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-final-polish.html) and a 5" white, Lake County CCS pad. If that doesn't work, move to a more aggressive orange CCS pad. And keep your polisher speed down unless more is required!!!
***I don't think Meguiars 105 is necessary, and I think starting with a white pad is a less aggressive approach

People are saying they are getting great results on clear bras with Blackfire Wet Diamond... http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wet-diamond-sealant.html This is an excellent polymer wax (technically a sealant).

You can get all of these products from Detailers Domain, or Autogeek, or wherever. I usually use Autogeek as they have a lot of sales.

NOTE: If you are swirling up your bra, you are probably swirling your paint too. I am guessing this is occuring during washed. There is probably swirling/marring occuring when the car is washed and dried. If you are going through a swirl-o-matic car automatic car wash, you are probably in trouble...
You are absolutely correct. I used some Adam's finishing polish this morning with good results. Then my PC backing plate pad broke after I had half of the car polished. Damn...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.