Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Momentarily locked transmission like symptom

879 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
Hadn’t driven the v ('12, auto, 10k miles) in 2 weeks and when I started her up and put it in reverse it went nowhere! Kinda rocked a little but she didn’t budge. Put it back in park and then tried again with the same result of not moving. Put it back in park and set and unset the emergency brake (I rarely ever have a need to use the emergency brake and never in the garage) and put it in reverse again and again nothing. Finally, after the fourth attempt at putting it in reverse I was able to get it moving. It grudgingly moved and it sounded like the front brakes were grabbing as I backed it out of the garage. After a few stop and go movements in the driveway I decided to drive down the street to see how long the “grabbing” sensation would continue. With a few start and stops thrown in I’d say after about ¼ mile things seemed back to normal. I parked it for a while and then tried again, no problems, so I drove it on a few errands and the problem didn’t resurface. It’s been 3 days and i haven’t had the problem again. I bought the car new and haven't had any problems with it other than the wheel clicking which was temporarily resolved 7 months ago with the 2 piece rotor. Does this sound like anything that any of you have experienced?

#4 ·
If you drove in the rain, then parked it, the brakes seized... This has happened to me a few times.

If you clean the car before parking it, it'll be fine.

Everytime this has happened to me, all you hear when you start moving is a loud SNAP sound. Then it's all good :D

#6 ·
Hello kenhock,

I apologize your vehicle gave you trouble when you started her up recently. I see other forum members have offered advice on the situation. If this is an issue that worries you, please reach out to me via private message. I can also be contacted for any other concerns or questions you may have.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.