Cadillac Owners Forum banner

CTS-V poser

10K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  dmax/04v 
#1 ·
Ok, so I was driving my truck, doing truck stuff that my Caddy couldn't do, and I saw a CTS coupe (that was not a V) sporting a V emblem on the trunk lid. The engine displacement emblem was obviously removed and replaced with the V.
The question I have is, should I be offended or,
is imitation the sincerest form of flattery?
Secretly I wished I was in my V to give the "Really?" look......

#3 ·
Back in the mid 90's, I had a ZR-1 (we used the hyphen back then). Wife & I are walking out of a business, and we see a teal 91 standard Corvette, with ZR-1 emblems on it. Wife is a gear-head too, so we are both eyeballing it. Owner appears, and we both start asking him about his Vette. He puffs up and starts quoting HP, torque, 0-60, top end, etc. (Most of which were wrong, btw). Wife asks why it is an auto, and he says he special ordered it that way. One of a kind.

Riiiight...

I leave my wife alone with the guy, and slide off to go get my car. She knows how to play the game, so she gives him a little flirt as soon as I walk off. I show up about a minute later, in a real ZR-1. Get out, open the door for my wife, and roll into the Borla's as we drive off.

I didn't know anyones face could turn that red...:devil:

#6 ·
Hybrid in terms of it burns both gas AND oil lol

I've never understood the re-badging/de-badging of regular cars to emulate higher-end cars. As if driving a Cadillac CTS or BMW 528 is a bad thing. Someone who pulls up next to you in a real performace car is going to embarrass you anyway. Car enthusiasts are going to be able to tell the difference. So who are you fooling??

It is funny though when a performance car works backward to look like the base car and then blows your doors off lol

#7 ·
Yep sleepers are awesome. This is my old Sentra SE-R.

Stock SR20DE 2 liter engine built up with low compression 300ZX pistons, forged rods, piston coolers, all kinds of internal goodies and a massive honking turbo kit. Custom adjustable suspension with more shock travel than stock, huge Wilwood brakes, But it was all stock on the outside other than the wheels. At the default wastegate setting (10 psi), it made 350 HP. The turbo wasn't even fully efficient until 18 psi. It only weighed 2400 lbs, that car was mind-explodingly fast. Imagine putting the LSA into a Miata and you'll get the idea.

But the best part was that it looked stock. I loved driving that car, it was fun as hell.

Even kept the stock front bumper.

#14 ·
At the gym where I visit often during the winter I would always see this “V”. Even when it’s icy and heavy snow out I would see this “V” parked in the lot. I noticed on the hood bulge there are V emblems and I’m like that looks so stupid. So I’m like if I ever run into this guy I’m going to ask how the heck are you driving the “V” on those tires in the snow and ice as once it gets below 38 without any winter tires you are in for a fun ride. I rarely bring my V out even if the pavement is bone dry once the temp drops below 40 as I learned that lesson riding on the OEM tires when I first got my V. Anyway one day I started really looking at the car and notice the tailpipes didn’t seem right nor did the rear deck spoiler or rear tires all though all four wheels are V wheels. So I’m looking at the car as it has the V hood, grills and the front is an exact match of a real V. All of a sudden out comes a lady who jumps in the ride, starts the car up and bang…the darn thing sounds like a weak 6 banger. I started shaking my head and realize somehow the car has the exact front section of a real V sans the V emblems on the hood bulge, but the rear is a dead give-away of an imposter, but at least she’s pretty hot.

#15 ·
readyact said:
At the gym where I visit often during the winter I would always see this “V”. Even when it’s icy and heavy snow out I would see this “V” parked in the lot. I noticed on the hood bulge there are V emblems and I’m like that looks so stupid. So I’m like if I ever run into this guy I’m going to ask how the heck are you driving the “V” on those tires in the snow and ice as once it gets below 38 without any winter tires you are in for a fun ride. I rarely bring my V out even if the pavement is bone dry once the temp drops below 40 as I learned that lesson riding on the OEM tires when I first got my V. Anyway one day I started really looking at the car and notice the tailpipes didn’t seem right nor did the rear deck spoiler or rear tires all though all four wheels are V wheels. So I’m looking at the car as it has the V hood, grills and the front is an exact match of a real V. All of a sudden out comes a lady who jumps in the ride, starts the car up and bang…the darn thing sounds like a weak 6 banger. I started shaking my head and realize somehow the car has the exact front section of a real V sans the V emblems on the hood bulge, but the rear is a dead give-away of an imposter, but at least she’s pretty hot.
I would be suspicious that she started out as a woman, given her pretend "V."

Jud :lildevil:

#19 ·
I went the other way. I have a '09 CTS-V and just had it polished out and had the detailer remove all of the badging except the wreath & Cad emblem.
If I had the cash, I would go all the way and replace the front grills, wheels, & hood with the standard CTS parts.
With the stock CTS tires, I think that you would have to feather it until about 60 MPH or so or you would be all over the road.

#20 · (Edited)
Gary Wells said:
I went the other way. I have a '09 CTS-V and just had it polished out and had the detailer remove all of the badging except the wreath & Cad emblem.
If I had the cash, I would go all the way and replace the front grills, wheels, & hood with the standard CTS parts.
With the stock CTS tires, I think that you would have to feather it until about 60 MPH or so or you would be all over the road.
Great idea except leave the wheels and tires alone; they're really important for these cars. The average doofus won't notice anyway, and there are a lot of those around.

Jud

#22 ·
I think some of the AMG cars that have the AMG sport package put that on the car.......like the SRT-design cars that have the exterior pieces of the SRT package, but not the performance parts.

I am cool with debadging cars, I think sometimes shaving off all things tacked onto cars looks cool.......putting on fake badges is for D-bags though.

#23 ·
Saw my first poser yesterday, single exhaust w emblems. Was more curious than anything that people actually do that. Don't see many (real) Vs as it is, so what's the point?

Maybe I should pull my emblems and get cts4 badges and go around looking for these weirdos?

M

#28 ·
To be fair, sometimes BMW would put M stuff into regular cars. Also there is a big dealership group in Texas that used something that looked like the M badge as their dealership badge so every car sold from there looked like someone just threw a M badge on it.

#27 ·
elevated said:
I live in the poser capital of the world, Miami. Never seen a posing V, but plenty......and I mean PLENTY of AMG cars with the fake badges. You even see the fake 6.3amg emblems on the sides of some entry level cars.
Ha haa! I'll bet the local MB dealers have plenty of those badges in stock to put wherever the customer wants. Posers need to have those badges plastered on all sides so their bad taste is never in doubt.

Jud

#31 ·
Lancekl said:
Saw one in in the Atlanta area a couple of weeks ago. CTS Coupe with V emblems. Standard CTS exhaust and grill. Pulled up next to him at a light and he
wouldn't look at me. LOL
They would be candidates for the vinyl roof covering, too, and maybe white wall tires. The mental picture of that is hard to describe. The only thing better would be the driver. Ha haa!

Jud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.