Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Tire replacement

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  spearfish25 
#1 ·
I have a nail in one of my front tires. It isn't leaking air yet, but I am taking it to the dealer for inspection, repair, or replacement. My question is, if it turns out not to be repairable and needs to be replaced, do I need to replace both front tires? I have 6,500 miles on the car and these are the original tires.

#2 ·
It's always good practice too replace both but depends on your driving habits and how much you care. I'm not going to say "you'll die if you don't" because the reality is I have done it numerous times (not in the v) and hasn't really hindered me.

That being said when I tracked cars / road raced, no fixed tires or mis-matched sets.

#4 ·
At my current mileage I think I am about at 25% wear. I will just tell dealer to replace it. I am going there instead of a regular tire shop because I believe they will have the correct TPC spec tire for me and they aren't that far off on cost.

#10 ·
Black Jack tire repair kit. Buy one and never worry about nails again. I've tracked tires I've plugged myself and they hold up beautifully since the plugs self vulcanize. I bought a scissor jack to keep in the car and now I'm pretty much puncture proof. Forget buying new tires unless they have a slash in them.

#11 ·
I've used the cheapo "temporary" plugs from the auto store...but only in the winter tires. Summer and/or track tires would be a different story. So far I've had 3 nails in the V, and all were in my left rear winter tire which also happens to be a run-flat. So I'm not worried about it failing.

I've used the same plug kit on my wife's BMW 3 times. All tires survived until they wore out.

#12 ·
I don't mess around with tires, winter or summer. When I attended the Cadillac event at Monticello two years ago, before I got the V, there was a lecture given by a rep from Michelin. He said these tires are repairable as long as:

1. Nail is not in or too close to the sidewall
  2. Tire is removed from the rim and inspected from the inside
  3. Patched, not plugged

I can spend $50 to save a $450 tire when done properly.

#16 ·
I can tell you that I've plugged my tires about 5 times with the Blackjack kit and never had an issue. This is with multiple track days at Road America doing about 140mph on the straights (not in a V, different car).

Anyone who discredits the premium DIY plug kits just wants you to pay them for a repair or a new tire. Worst that happens with a plug coming out (and again, I've never had it happen) is you slowly get a flat. Big f'ing deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.