Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Check engine light came on

20K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
My check engine light came on last night while idling in traffic for a few questions minutes. Carsen is 09 with 34,700 miles on it and has Borla dual exhaust and Hennessey CAI. Never have had a problem before and passed all smog testing all the time. What gives? I checked gas cap and that's ok and runninv premium fuel as required. Car is still running strong and not acting weird. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Ok so I had the code ran it came back P0174 Service fuel control system. I bought this car used and the guy before me already installed dual borla exhaust and a Hennessy CAI. I have put about 1,000 miles on the car and never got a check engine light or anything and the car has always ran perfect. I have never noticed a hesitation or bad gas mileage or anything like that. I know if I take the car into my Cadillac dealer that will be the first thing they blame. I doubt it is that since it has ran fine before and not thrown a code. Any advice on what I should do next?

#5 ·
Probably just a dirty mass air meter. Get some mass air meter cleaner, and clean the sensor real good. also make sure your filter is clean.

#6 ·
Ok so I didnt install the CAI. Is the mass air flow sensor inside of the CAI? If this is the problem will the check engine light reset itself after I clean these. The thing I dont get is the car is running fine, no hesitation or stuttering, it hauls ass and I am getting 15 miles to the gallon.

#7 ·
Find a friendly parts store that will reset code for you to see if it returns, or locate someone with a reset tool.
Hell, the dealer might reset it for you for nothing if you suggest the CAI had come loose and you secured it back. I doubt the dealer wil blame the added parts right away without looking into it and the possible triggers to that code.

#9 ·
Stopped by Autoparts store today and had the code cleared. Then stopped by an autogarage here that is reputable with Cadillacs and they advised a fuel additive/Fuel Injector cleaner first and then to clean the MAF. Drive the car and see if that keeps the code from creeping back.

#10 ·
Please keep in mind that with all Innova tools you gain access to Repair Solutions. If you know somebody that owns one or our tools or looking into purchasing a diagnostic tool please give us a visit at innova.com. With all of our diagnostic tools we provide "Verified Fixes" which will provide to you what part needs to be changed, the cost of changing the part and also a video of how to proceed with replacing the part.

I hope the code doesn't come back on your CTS but if it does I hope that our method can be a choice for you.

#12 ·
my check engine light came on and stayed on for two days, the day I took it to the dealer, the light had gone out, however the dealer"s service dept said the code was from the oxygen sensor, and did not want to replace it before fully checking the car for any leaks. This was Saturday, and all the mechanics were not available, so, I left the car with them so that their best mechanics could check it out on Monday. I will pick it up on Wednesday. It is a 2012 V and only 974 Miles, only 856 miles when the check engine light came on. I am curious as to what the truly caused the check engine light to come on

#13 ·
I just had a CEL fixed by my dealer on my 2011 V with 4800 miles on the clock last week. The receipt says something about Service Fuel System and an o2 sensor on the #1 bank was replaced. I didn't pull a code and the deale didn't record the code either. My dealer had me in and out in 3 hours.

Good luck.

#15 ·
The dealer's service department called me today to inform me they have repaired my car. They did find a leak and had to tighten where one of the headers connected. I had also noticed that my gas mileage had went from an average of 12 miles per gal to 11.7 miles per gal. I think this to was an indication of a leak. WIth all the tuning required of the engines of these cars I got to try harder to pay more attention to all the details of everything associated with the engine. I want pick the car up until Wednesday, due to the distance from my home to the dealer. I will post here if I have problems with the car after picking it up.

#18 ·
Well the check engine light came on again. It just about 3 months for it to come back on. I went down and had the code reset again and it came back on within 5 days. Any thoughts or ideas? Dirty MAF, or should I finally just bite the bullet and take it to a repair shop?

#19 ·
What was the code for. It might be the type of gas. I had that problem with the gas out west. Didnt like the low octane. Could only find 91. I bought a Diablo Trinity. I can now see the code and explaination of what it is. Clear it myself if its benign. Pretty handy and a relief to see it was just crapy gas and not something serious. I've found that if I use Chevron it doesn't throw the code anymore even though I always use TopTier gasoline. And obviously the highest octane available.

#21 ·
Let me add this, so the light came back on Sunday afternoon. I went to work that is about 10 miles away and parked car for the whole day. Went home Monday night, remote started my car and no check engine light anymore. It hasnt came on since and I have driven my car 4 times since then and hasnt come back on yet. Why would the light go off when I did nothing to adjust whatever made it come on in the first place. Also I do run the premium grade gas but I do live on West Coast and no gas even premium can be bad sometimes. I have the Borla Cat Back Exhaust

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.