Cadillac Owners Forum banner

D3 Cadillac - shocked

22K views 109 replies 42 participants last post by  newcadman 
#1 ·
I am really shocked at the customer service at D3. It has made wonder how in the world they are still around and is this situation for real. I wrote them the straight forward and courteous email below and received absolutely no response. I know their reputation in customer service wasn't the greatest but I felt I would give them the benefit of the doubt. After receiving no response, no parts, no follow through, I am left to be done with the situation.

I have wanted a D3 carbon fiber hood and ordered it, for simplicity, through 21st Century Muscle Cars. They would be installing everything while my car is there anyway. 21CMC has been very transparent with me and diligent with D3. After being told that D3 had a hood for me, 21CMC told D3 that they would only pay for the parts with a tracking number. That was 2 weeks ago. They blame it on not having a box to ship it in. Yesterday, I asked 21CMC to get all the other parts: front end splitter, rear diffuser, LED inlet lights, side skirts. D3 said they had to go look to be sure the parts were all there then would call back for payment. This brings us to today and nothing.

Is this for real? Do they really survive like this? Is there more to this story I don't know? Their front line, Greg, has been courteous and will talk to us. But, this doesn't add up. Here is a copy of the email I sent to the owners with no response whatsoever. This was a fair amount of $ to be "trying" to spend, about $6k.

James and Tim,

Thank you for reading my email. I run a couple of businesses and I am
asking you for the bottom line of my situation. Sometimes in my business,
the only right answer to give is the bottom line response that it can't be
done. So that is what I am asking you for today.

I realize you probably have no idea what is going on with my situation so
I will try to keep it concise and comprehensive. Simply put, I want and
D3 Carbon Fiber Vented Hood. I have asked for it since October. The
order may have come in to you from 21st Century Muscle Cars in November, I
am not sure now and it really doesn't matter - call it 4 or 5 months.

The update that 21CMC provided to me from D3 has essentially always been
the same, "a couple more weeks". I have done a very large amount of
business with 21CMC so I trust what they tell me. I have 2 known
experiences with D3, a friend who needed a replacement hood because of a
flaw (it took many weeks to resolve, and my own experience (4-5 months of
trying to spend thousands of $). So please understand my only experiences
have not been the greatest. Still, I believe it can be made right.

I just want to know, can I get a hood, can it be soon? Or, do I just need
to do something else? I am asking just to be leveled with and with
complete transparency. Tell me to buy someone else's hood if that's the
case or just level with me with a real timeline.

Additionally, I may have given up some leverage (if I actually had any to
begin with) by asking 21CMC to go ahead and get the other thousands of $
of D3 parts from you guys so they can at least be on the car while my car
is in their facility for work. I also ordered the front splitter, side
skirts, air inlets with LEDs, and rear diffuser.

After a month or so I took it upon myself to contact the front line of D3
for updates. They were the same updates 21CMC was providing to me. They
have always been courteous and helpful to the extent of letting me know
there were QC measures impacting production. I have to believe that has
been worked through.

It was suggested to me by a friend that there may be a shift for D3
providing parts to Cadillac dealers and that volume is the issue here.
Congrats if that is the plan, I think it will move a lot of parts for you.
But, I need a real answer and real timeline. In my business, everything
stops with me, I have the highest interest in my company. I am asking the
same of you.

Thank you for your time once again.

How does this go unanswered and without any follow through and they remain in business?

See less See more
#4 ·
Ben is great at weaponxmotorsports.com - I have bought quite a bit with Ben. I just got fixated on that hood.

@ Eric...I have called them 2 and 3 times a week. 21st Century has also been on them. A letter to the owners with no response? I assure you. An email/letter reaches my desk, I am a business owner too, that will get action.

All the calls are the same. "A couple more weeks", "next week". It's bad man, really bad.

#5 ·
Understood now. The original letter does not make mention of the phone calls. This is why I specifically carved that out.

The supply issue is totally out of their hands with the lack of response. Someone else is probably doing the manufacturing. D3 needs to reign in their suppliers. Or, as you've noted; it appears horrible and is a blemish on their reputation for not being responsive.

#6 ·
I hate to be a grammar/syntax nazi... so I'll just suggest that - like most businesses - D3 probably gets a shit ton of emails and the odds of getting a timely response will be low.

Calling for "issues" is always the best choice, but then you have no written record that a conversation took place. I suggest calling them again, and depending on how that conversation goes you'll have your answer. If it's "another couple of weeks" then you have to decide whether or not that level of customer service is worth a partial order (or cancelling the entire order altogether as a form of protest).

Personally, I'd say you have your answer already based on your description of events and feedback from 21st CMCs.

ETA: I always assumed the D3 price premium was... well, for the customer service. :D

#11 ·
Conda, I also had a lot of trouble with D3. They never did make good on anything. I think that if you live close enough to drive to their shop, they will treat you better. At least this is
how I feel. They never made things right with me and I went on a rant some time back. Didn't do much good. Best to move on and try to get it done without them. Thats what I did even
though it cost more money than it should have. It was the only option left. Cecil...........

#15 · (Edited)
I just bought a Stsv that d3 bilt. hood /fenders Headlights hid fogs /taillights/ blacked out grils. And other custom things under the hood. This car only had 8700 miles on it when I got it. Hood is cracking all over and looks like a 5year old bilt it on the under side. Fenders are cracking trought the paint in the corners. The black grils were flacking after only 600 miles. They broke the one head light and sent the car back to the owner with it glued together. I got the car for a steal of a deal do to the owner not wanting to spend the money to get it all fixed. And to top it off the car has paint over spray all over it from no dought siting in there shop for months. So buyer be warned.

#19 ·
good thing i saw this thread, my '13 v is coming soon and ive been looking around for a tuner to get some mods done

d3 is fairly close to me, but after modding several cars and dealing with enough shady business people I know I never want to put up with this bs again

from what i can tell online d3 is knowledgable and have made some amazing cars, but if this is the real deal about their customer service then Im not going to even bother with them

i think it's interesting to note that it seemed like their website was down/hacked for a while (at least according to my norton web plugin)

#20 ·
Well, all I can say is that I've worked with reputable shops for a '64 Sting Ray, and one of the best shops in the world for a massive 300 ZX Twin Turbo build. While those experiences were great, they pale in comparison to my excellent experiences with D3. My experience may be what it is because I'm local, but I hate to see these threads when they run so completely counter to my own experience with their products and their service. If you look at my history, you'll see I'm a fan but no homer; I call it like I see it.

I also know that the custom performance market is seldom easily managed. The volume of calls, emails, and orders coming into D3 is immense, and I'm betting that they are working out the kinks in handling a business that is rapidly growing. Believe me when I tell you though, they put a LOT of energy and commitment into their products and the CTS-V marque.

I'm not here necessarily to defend. Simply to offer a different experience that I've had with a lot of background for comparison. Their products aren't necessarily cheap, but I have found them to be worth every penny.

I hope the OP gets his issues sorted out. With Tim on the case, I suspect he will.

#23 ·
as i predicted in the last d3 bash thread. after getting in way over their heads with a bigger building and higher cost (as depicted in their outrageous pricing) in a declining economy will surely relinquish them to selling pretzels out of a shopping cart in Calcutta. it was/is only a matter of time. the writings on the wall. the eagle has landed, the fat man walks alone.

#26 ·
Of course they responded once they were informed of this thread. The thing is why does it take this kind of public thread to get a response?

I do agree, their prices are INSANE. When I was looking to black out my car I looked at their Noir offerings a while ago. Not only were they OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive, they wanted a core from the looks of it (Their web site left a lot to be desired). I could have purchased the parts new from GM at retail, taken them to the best painter in my area and it would still not cost what D3 wanted and I could always revert to stock as I'd have the originals.

They seem to build some cool cars but they are just too pricey for me. Now that I read this thread I'm sure I won't deal with them so that's one less phone ringing so they can take care of their CURRENT customers rather than trolling for new business.

And for those that say we are only hearing one side of the story, D3 seems to post here a lot. Why don't they post and give their side of the story? Them contacting the OP directly and not responding here (yet) tells me they know they are wrong.

#27 ·
D3=less than great.

I originally ordered (Spring 2011) 2 HD HX from them. 1 for my '11 coupe and 1 for a buddy's '10 sedan. At the time I spoke to someone about fitment etc and installation. I was assured the were compatible with both models. We both had the same builder/tuner that when he went to install the HX's noticed the mounting tabs/brackets were not designed for a correct fitment. The HX hung down about 3/8" of an inch too low and you could not install the lower valance/bumper pieces with the push-pins.

After NUMEROUS (6) phone calls and messages left, my builder/tuner who happened to be a former GM engineer found out that the 2010+ cars had a redesigned steel bumper (That's under the fascia).

We had to have the brackets cut off and rewelded to the HX core to make it right. D3 (about 5 months later) left me a voice mail saying their HX was designed for an '09 model and they would look into it. Never heard back from them.

I would not buy a baseball cap from them...just my .02

George

#28 · (Edited)
I order a hood, (different one than TX_Conda) on February 2nd and D3 said it would be 3 - 4 weeks. I called them on the 25th an the person who took the order, (Ro) said it will be ready by the end of this week, that's March 1st. From what I've heard here, this might not happen, I will post here concerning what happens. Don't let Dr. Design snow you, he answered an email before they got the money but not after.

#30 · (Edited)
I order a hood, (different one than TX_Conda) on February 2nd and D3 said it would be 3 - 4 weeks. I called them on the 25th an the person who took the order, (Ro) said it will be ready by the end of this week, that's March 1st. From what I've heard here, this might not happen, I will post here concerning what happens. Don't let Dr. Design, (Greg) B.S. you, he answered an email before they got the money but not after.
Dr. Design is not Greg.
And I sincerely hope that everything works out for both the performance shop (D3) and the buyer (OP).
Good Luck to everybody.

#31 ·
Rule12b.....you said Homer.....LMAO. Hey guys I just wanted to express that my experiences with D3 are much the same as Rule12b. Over the last year I've had a lot of interaction with D3 and their shop as I've raced in the Cadillac Challenge series. What I have to express is that things never always go perfectly but hands down they(D3) have always stepped up and taken care of me the customer. In the off season I've been fortunate enough to peruse moving forward on obtaining my certs to obtain my Pro Drivers Card for a series I hope to be running in next year. I've lately seen what other guys who own/race other types of vehicles deal with on the aftermarket end of things and its truly been an eye opener. I can only laugh at those who complain about D3 pricing (which in some cases I can see why) but ive seen the cost of keeping some of these Porsche's, Vett's, and Bimmers competitive on the track and D3 is right in line with theses other aftermarket companies who support brand specific and or race/track purpose built parts. In most cases D3 is a deal in this world. I can only give my perspective based upon my interactions. Im not in your shoes TX Conda and I can only say that they will make it right. D3 has become a partner with GM and for those who dont understand that is huge for the V community. No other aftermarket company to my knowledge has been able to accomplish that feat. And Im sure that has come with a huge innital demand for parts production on a scale D3 never imagined. I will always be grateful and vocal of the support and help that James,Tim,Greg,Ro and the rest of the guys at D3 have given me and the parts for my vehicle that have made me competitive. A year ago I'd have thought you were nuts if you said Id be working towards my Pro card now. Had it not been for D3 I most likely wouldn't be.

#32 · (Edited)
Hello,

So much for seeing this before it turned into a dog pile. But we will wade through what we can.

For the OP, I believe your situation is being taken care of. If not, then certainly feel free to keep this as an open line of communication seeing that you have our attention here. I'm not personally involved in your order and trust that Tim will get you taken care of. We will make the situation right! For what it's worth, we have an extremely difficult time keeping those hoods in stock. I'd be willing to bet its the best hood on the market for the Cadillac applications in terms of fit, finish, and quality. Now if we can just get you your darn hood, it would prove itself to you. :D

qictrk - We offered to pick your car up on a transporter at no charge to you and look back over the vehicle. You elected not to. We made good efforts to make your experience a positive one.

1madstsv - If this is the car I am thinking of, it's been out of our hands for years and changed ownership a few times. We have no control over how people treat their cars when they leave here.

MIRINCTSV - If you would like to come down to our facility and see our operation, I can assure you that we are certainly not defined by forum posts and isolated situations.

turbol15 - Obviously we would have to disagree with your statement. Those companies usually go out of business. We have been around long enough to see companies come and go. Admittedly we may be slow in response time via phone and email. But we certainly do not do what you have suggested we do. We are looking to drastically expand our operation in 2013 to address the customer service response times and ability to quickly fill orders.

Stillborn - Thank you for bringing a sense of humor to the party. ;)

p.s. Just so everyone knows. We aren't foolish to think we are perfect in any way, shape or form in terms of customer service and product offerings. But we will continue to strive for that in everything we do. We want to share our passion for Cadillac vehicles through our work and our offerings. Unfortunately we may stumble, trip, or fall. That's okay, we are human. But we will always get up and continue to push forward and reach for perfection. Who we are today will not be who we are tomorrow. We are constantly working to become better in everything we do.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

#40 ·
NOT TRUE, D3. You tried some things like change the program in my ECM to match someone else's vehicle that had the same work done. I sent my ECM to you and after you got
through with it, you shipped it back. In the end, your phone man, told me that he thought it was because I changed the CAI from yours to another brand. I put the old one back on
and still had a problem. You never said to send the car over. I finally drove it to a shop that is about a 2 hr drive for me and had it re-tuned for an additional $500 and they found that one
of the new injectors that you installed failed. I then bough another new set and after they were installed, it has run great. Sorry James, my memory is not that bad. I think Ray was
your front man that I dealt with. Since you brought this crap up, I will mention to everyone that it also took your company 3 months to finally get my new hood installed right.
I realize that I was the first one for the hood, but I never thought that it would take that long. Thats a long time for you to hold my car hostage. You told me that it would take
4 to 6 weeks. You didn't even give a discount for making me having to wait so long. Cecil..................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.