Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How did John Heinricy do it?

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  sykoV 
#1 ·
All CTS-V owners know the CTS-V sedan achieved a lap time of 7:59.32 at the famed Nürburgring Nordschleife, which was the fastest documented time for a production sedan on factory tires, until the Porsche Panamera Turbo clocked a time of 7:56 in July 2009. The vehicle was driven by John Heinricy during the attempt.

Does anyone know how the car was set up during this run?

The transmission was an automatic, was it set in Driver Shift Control or Tap Shift? And did John utilize the steering wheel paddles? Or was the transmission set and left in Sport Mode the entire time for the run?

I imagine the Magnetic Ride Control was set to Sport mode, vice Tour mode.

And lastly what about the StabiliTrak, was it left on or was it set to Competitive Driving Mode?

Having never raced before (pretty obvious I suppose) always wondered how the CTS-V was configured during John’s outstanding lap at Nürburgring.

#3 · (Edited)
I read somewhere the Panamera was not a "legal" run because it had some type of a roll cage in it to support the safety belts that added structural rigidity. Where as the Heinricy run did use pipe/bars to support the safety belts but did not add structural rigidity.

In the video, John said he left in in Sport mode and let the tranny shift itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9d5xf-xeOU

EDIT!!!!! I fixed the youtube link. My bad.

#13 ·
Yay, let's hijack this thread and turn it into yet another manual vs auto debate :canttalk:

It seems to burn the 6MT guys to know the auto V is quicker 0-60 and that it set the Nurburgring record. Can't say I blame them.

I respect the 6MT guys for their stubbornness and insistence in plowing the gears in spite of its performance disadvantage in a high performance car. I love manual transmissions too, but not in this car.

*ducks under the table*

#15 ·
I respect the 6MT guys for their stubbornness and insistence in plowing the gears in spite of its performance disadvantage in a high performance car. I love manual transmissions too, but not in this car.

*ducks under the table*
I think most of us just want to keep the facts straight. Personally, I could give a rat's a** what type of transmission anyone else has in his "V" or his reasons for choosing it.

Jud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.