Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Why a pop-up nav screen?

11K views 59 replies 31 participants last post by  RippyPartsDept 
#1 ·
So this is my first few days with the new V. Really like it so far, but a few things have made me go, "Huh?". The pop-up nav screen is one of them. I know the console looks cleaner, sexier, whatever without the screen fully visible, but it appears to me there is room for the screen to fit in the center stack (where the clock and two radio dials/knobs are) without having to resort to the up/down business.

My observations are pretty simple. The use of the pop-up screen places it just a little farther away from the driver than if it were lower and in the center stack. This wouldn't be an issue except that it is also a touch screen. I find that some on-screen buttons, especially those in the upper right corner of the screen, are just a bit too far of a reach.

I also find it annoying when I try to use a function that requires the full screen, I have to manually raise it (you get this message, "Nav screen must be UP to use this function" or something like that). Hey car - if you KNOW the screen needs to be up, why not raise it for me?

Further, the screen raises and lowers a bit slow - yes, it is smooth and very quiet which is impressive, but I'm impatient and waiting for that thing to go up and down just seems a waste of time.

I haven't explored the nav, traffic, and other on-screen features fully so I can't comment on those yet. So far, things seem fairly intuitive.

What is everyone else's take? Do you like or hate the pop-up screen? If so, why or why not?

See less See more
#37 ·
fltri said:
one thing that i wish gm would do is have the ability to update the firmware. I have a garmin zumo 665 for my motorcycles, and about every 6 months there is a free firmware update. Just plug it into the laptop, and get the free download.

Sure would be nice if i could hook my laptop up to the usb in the car, and add/fix/update features. Seems like it would be simple enough to do. I'm no i.t. Guru, but if garmin can do it, it seems like gm could too...
cue.

#38 ·
The NAV system was considered state of the art in 2007, especially with offering traffic integration and weather, as well as the hard drive and ability to read DVDs and DVD audio. Back then, the iPhone was just released, and Android phones weren't even available yet. Portable MP3 players were far less popular than they are now, in any form. Most people didn't have BlueTooth phones, and it was just becoming available in higher end cars. The Germans were notorious for charging a lot extra for each feature that was standard on the CTS, like XM, USB, and BT, or even the availability of an OnStar-like service. The initial reviews of the '08 CTS were very enthusiastic for the NAV system, especially compared to the German and English competition. Was it perfect? No, partly because it uses MapQuest for the routing. I noted some of the same strange routes and instructions when looking up directions on the computer. Remember, GoogleMaps was quite young then, too. Since automakers generally don't update their technology until a model is completely revised, it is not surprising that five years on, the system in the CTS series is now practically an antique. The magazine reviewers generally don't comment on it though, unlike the negative reviews of the prehistoric system in the Corvette, for instance. It also is considered way better than Ford's SYNC, which many reviewers, and apparently most consumers, can't figure out how to use. BMW's iDrive was so terrible that BMW was forced to do a mid model update to placate the critics. I personally think even their latest version is too complex for the routine tasks it is asked to perform.

Seeing what Cadillac is soon offering with CUE on the ATS and the XTS, I think it is clear that the next CTS will again have a state of the art infotainment system. It's part of the usual cycle of progress.

I think the bigger question is why these systems aren't kept more up-to-date? After all, we all update our computers, and even our smartphones, with newer or updated software. Since it's just software, it should be easy to keep these systems closer to the state of the art, as long as it's compatible with the hardware. Even if newer software would require a better processor, would that be so difficult to engineer? Laptop manufacturers do it every few months, and the prices continue to drop, so why can't the automakers? Whether it requires updated hardware, or just software, it would help keep owners of pricey cars more satisfied with their purchases, especially as a model ages. I, for one, would also be willing to pay for a software update, as we already have to do to update the maps. I bet more people would pay for updates if new features were offered, or if features were significantly upgraded. I would even consider paying for a hardware update, such as for a faster processor and/or more memory, if it was relatively easy to do, and wasn't outrageously priced.

Other manufacturers are not doing this, either. I think it would be great if Cadillac and GM took some leadership in this instance, and I bet it would lead to increased sales and profit, with minimal added cost.

#40 ·
Completely agree with everything you said. The iPhone wasn't even released when I got my '08 CTS and the only comparable nav system was what Acura had in the TL. The only thing that was lacking is BT integration at the time since GM was trying to push OnStar. Having real time weather and traffic was a pretty big deal along with iPod and USB integration. Even keyless ignition was still a new concept in all but the most fancy of production cars. A lot change over half a decade and at least Cadillac has something that should be a standout in the market with the CUE.

#39 ·
Wow - lots of interesting debate here. My original question was simply about the choice of a screen that pops up using a servo motor of some sort versus a fixed mount, all other factors being equal...but everyone has really taken the discussion to the next level. Very informative banter going on and definitely beyond what I anticipated by putting the question out there!

One of the upgrades on my list is going to be to figure out how to get a parking camera in FRONT of the car as well as back, and be able to use the front facing camera to avoid hitting curbs and parking stops. My previous car also had a low front and despite being extra cautious when the car was new, eventually it got tagged...

#42 ·
I guess I'm in the minority. I think the pop-up nav screen is neat. I watch it pop-up each and every time I turn the key. I love everything about this car. Had a 2008 CTS without nav and this was such a cool upgrade for me. I'll be ready for CUE soon enough. For my purposes, the tech is fine even though it's dated.

#43 ·
I tried driving around with it down today. Id rather have it up. I like a full screen with radio info and maps running.

My only beef with our nav is an inexplicable one. Why is it the same map at night, only dimmed? A reversing map with black background and white streets would be so much easier to see and easy on the eyes...

#45 ·
Hmmmmmm, iPhones went on sale in the US in mid 2007. The 3G was on sale by 2008. iPods were the largest selling personal music devise in the world by 2005. Even Chrysler did a mid cycle update of many of their entertainment systems in 2008 from their REC Navigation systems to the MyGig which did take into consideration smart phone integration.

My point is Gm in general and Cadillac in particular seem to be a bit slower to adapt to on board technology.

The CUE looks awesome and I am very excited about it. However, as mentioned above, I hope that Cadillac will take into consideration the rapid growth of technology and try and build in some degree of ability to update. Otherwise, use a "conventional" type installation for the entertainment system so it can be upgraded by those that may want to in the future.

As for the general idea of the "popup" I never drive with it up. It distracts me. Unfortunately, when it is down, it doesn't display much info and, of course, you can't use the nav. I guess that's part of my complaint. I don't like it up but I don't get enough info with it down.

#49 ·
Yeah, it doesn't interfere with the view. In my car the top edge of the screen doesn't raise above the backward edge of the dash. What are you guys talking about? Maybe your seats are way too low. We are talking about a high performance car, not a Buick or a Toyota, after all.

Jud

#47 ·
I like the idea of adding life and drama to the driving experience. Everyone who gets in my car loves the pop-up screen but the voice system is horrible. I don't like the way you search for destinations either. My 2008 and 2009 Nissan Maxima's had the best nav interface of all the cars I have owned. I also owned a 2008 and 2010 Jeep Cherokee SRT8.

Overall I like the idea of the pop-up screen just fix the glitches. If the screen needs to be up to do what I want to do put it up dont make me push the button, voice prompts need to be better, and I should be able to just say a destination and it should figure it out.

#48 ·
It's annoying. The user-interface for electronics was not a strong point in my '06V, and it's not much better in my '12. I'd rather keep the screen down, but some features are only available via touchscreen. Even worse, some features that can be accessed from the controls on the dash only work when the screen is up. (like selecting an artist for some music.) We build a lot of interfaces for users where I work... had this project been dropped in our lap, the approach would probably have been to build a UI interface. Then design a touch-screen UI that can do EVERYTHING. And then design dash controls that are ALSO capable of EVERYTHING. That way, the user can decide what is most convenient.

#53 ·
I usually keep the screen up, to get all current information, especially traffic info. That said, I really love the graphics displayed when the screen is down. The NAV does work with the screen down, after setting up the destination via the touch screen or OnStar. The screen has to be up initially, but then can be lowered. You will lose the map, of course, but you will still have the voice directions and gongs. It's particularly useful late at night on the highway, where the map screen can be a bit distracting in the total darkness.

#54 ·
Why a pop up nav screen? Well, I had a car with CUE in it home the other night. My fiance' gets in to check it out and her first comment was "why doesn't it [the screen] go away?" She has had lasik and lights at night bother her. She likes that she can completely put the screen down in my V. Although I don't think the lack of a hide away screen will keep us from buying one of the cars I had home at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.