Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Why a pop-up nav screen?

11K views 59 replies 31 participants last post by  RippyPartsDept 
#1 ·
So this is my first few days with the new V. Really like it so far, but a few things have made me go, "Huh?". The pop-up nav screen is one of them. I know the console looks cleaner, sexier, whatever without the screen fully visible, but it appears to me there is room for the screen to fit in the center stack (where the clock and two radio dials/knobs are) without having to resort to the up/down business.

My observations are pretty simple. The use of the pop-up screen places it just a little farther away from the driver than if it were lower and in the center stack. This wouldn't be an issue except that it is also a touch screen. I find that some on-screen buttons, especially those in the upper right corner of the screen, are just a bit too far of a reach.

I also find it annoying when I try to use a function that requires the full screen, I have to manually raise it (you get this message, "Nav screen must be UP to use this function" or something like that). Hey car - if you KNOW the screen needs to be up, why not raise it for me?

Further, the screen raises and lowers a bit slow - yes, it is smooth and very quiet which is impressive, but I'm impatient and waiting for that thing to go up and down just seems a waste of time.

I haven't explored the nav, traffic, and other on-screen features fully so I can't comment on those yet. So far, things seem fairly intuitive.

What is everyone else's take? Do you like or hate the pop-up screen? If so, why or why not?

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree that the system should self raise the screen if it is required for use with a feature. It is just logical to do so automatically. The screen self raises when the back up camera is on why not on other features. I am going to assume that it is because when the car first came out the nav system and pop up screen where options and they never went back to fix the programming when it became standard equipment. Since the back up camera was added later once the nav system became standard it was programmed properly from the beginning.
As for why the pop up screen in the first place, it was a marketing gimmick to give the car some "wow" factor to compete against other near luxury cars out there that had their own pop up stuff back in '08. Just how the car business is. They are always looking over each other's shoulder to see who comes up with something that catches on with consumers. Notice how every vehicle has side vents these days?

#4 ·
Not a fan of the pop-up aspect. That servomotor is just something else that will break somewhere down the line and cost $1500 in labor to take apart the entire dash to replace. I wish (and maybe there is a way that I just don't know about) that I could have it just stay up all the time and not automatically lower when I turn the car off.

#7 ·
I traded a 2010 Cadillac SRX for the V and the NAV system was 10x better in that Crossover, which is baffling when considering my V is a newer model year and at a higher price point. The interior on the SRX is also nicer than the V overall, but I understand that the designs are focused differently, so not a big deal in the overall scheme of things.

The NAV in the V is terrible like those found in Mercedes. I now use my iPhone for my GPS needs.

#8 ·
I traded a 2010 Cadillac SRX for the V and the NAV system was 10x better in that Crossover...
My wife just got an SRX too. I helped her set up her Phone/Nav/Bluetooth/OnStar etc. and was shocked at how much cooler and better designed the system was than the one in the V. I'm assuming it's a generational thing rather than a model year thing. If it makes you feel any better, talk to a C6 Corvette owner. It's even more old fashioned than the V's system.

I just leave mine down most of the time, unless I know I'm going to be using the Nav. I actually wish I could set up the backup camera to stay off and leave the screen down, unless I needed it. It's more annoying than helpful anyway...

#28 ·
Dude, the screen stays down unless needed.
Um, not it doesn't. That's part of my problem - the thing SOMETIMES goes up automatically when needed (like when in reverse), and sometimes it asks you to manually raise it. I'm not some yuppie that can't drive without the nav on. But I do have people that work for me who design software and technology systems for a living, and they'd never come up with such an awkward and as someone put it, gimmicky solution as this. Apple would never design an iPhone or iPad like this. No, they do an excellent job of making things clean, intuitive, and uncomplicated. This nav screen thing is none of that. Yes, it works. And I like it in the down position most of the time. I just think there's a simpler, elegant, and more intuitive solution.

#10 ·
I leave mine down most of the time too because I don't use the Nav much, the screen rattles when up, and I figure it's one more thing to break.

I like it down at the track because it's out of the way, but I did notice when leaving VIR that the Full Course is actually in the Nav, which is kind of neat.

#20 ·
The pop up screen does not bother me that much. The horrible voice system to work the NAV when moving does! I thought the Sync Nav was inferior but that is an amazing system compared to the voice system in the V. That plus no streaming BT audio has me scratching my head. I mean we are talking a 65-73K car here.

#21 ·
Few months ago pulled into a parking lot. Took the ticket stub and slipped it into the nav' screen slot without paying attention. When I came back to the car I couldn't find the stub. It had slipped down into the console. Instead of two bucks to get out of the lot it cost me eight dollars. Pop up screen still working fine.

#22 ·
Definitely not a fan of the pop up screen and the overall technology is pretty antiquated. My wife's 2011 Genesis 4.6 and my Mother-in-law's 2012 Chrysler 300C have much better systems than the Caddy. I would much prefer a good 8" screen with good touch screen controls. At least if they used a decent double DIN crap radio, I could replace it with a quality aftermarket unit like an AVIC.

One of the reasons (there were certainly more significant reasons) I didn't replace my SRT Jeep with a 2012 model was the crappy old gen technology they put in a $65K Jeep when the $25K Chrysler had their state of the art stuff.

Put in quality top of the line stuff and make it upgradable. If you cant make a decent nav system, sub out to Garmin or someone that knows what they are doing. Realize that smart phones are our links to the world and the system needs to be upgradable to keep up with the 18-24 month cycle of phone improvements.

#23 ·
I like the pop-up screen. I don't need to see the screen all the time. There are a few quirks in its function but overall I'm satisfied with it.

I would like it better if CUE were in it, it's far ahead of the current software.

#25 ·
I like the stealth aspect of being able to raise/lower. I pretty much leave it up all the time unless I'm highway driving and keeping a watch for Smokeys. All in all I think the Nav kind of sucks...if you know where you're going but still ask for GPS for guidance half the time it takes you a much longer way.

Is there a way to update maps/interface for a '10 V?

#29 ·
What was dropped about the radio? The sound is light years ahead of the V1, the XM is light years better with better reception and sound and it has USB, a hard drive, aux and Bluetooth.

The gen was started in '07. Cadillac let it be as it focused on getting the mechanicals of the V ready. Technology in '07 is trumped by '12 in everything. You are using revisionist history. The V in '08 may not have been cutting edge in tech, but it wasn't as bad as you guys claim...

#31 ·
The V in '08 may not have been cutting edge in tech, but it wasn't as bad as you guys claim...
True that.

I came out of a 2003 Lincoln, it was one of the first vehicles to have Nav and voice recognition. I wow'd friends for about 18 months when I bought it, and then technology caught up. The V's Nav is vastly better than the Lincoln ever thought of being, and my wife's SRX is better than the V. CUE will be better than all of them, and 18 months from now, someone will have something better than CUE.

That's just how technology works....

#32 ·
My screen is usualy up....except for when i have the music down and i can hear the screen rattel thats when i hit the button....I dont really mind the nav system to much...i really just use it to find my way out of traffic when i have to cut through diffrent neighborhoods to get where i wanna go....i think the over all fit/finish is about 8/10....but only because it dosent have streaming BT..and the system dosent understand the words "foe" "semmmm" "won"....but the laughs are priceless as grandpa tries to use the voice dial

#33 ·
Sorry. Nav sucks, no streaming BT, won't automatically download or store a phone book and contacts, voice recognition sucks, interface is anything but intuitive, Sat display information is dismal.

As for it being decent technology in 2008, nope. That simply is not the case.

The 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee (actually a 2005 design) had the MYGIG which was worlds better than the Caddy's system. MyGig had a 20 GB HD, decent NAV, USB connection good voice recognition, intuitive data entry and touch screen. It was put in Chryco's lower end vehicles in 2008. Even the previous generation REC in the Chrysler's was as good or better than the Caddy system as far as nav function and voice commands.

Ford's SYNC was introduced in 2008 models. Early versions were glitchy but they worked out the software pretty quick. They were integrated with your smart phone, downloaded all your contact information, read text messages and emails, Streaming BT and USB connection, had application links with phones including Pandora Radio and Garmin navigation.

It's not really the sound quality in the Caddy that is so poor (I'm no music aficionado. I'd rather listen to the engine). That is not my issue. It's the interface and the compatibility with growing technology.

Which brings us back to the point of this thread. The problem is compounded with the "popup" design. With my 2006 SRT Charger that had the REC with uconnect (Pre MyGig), when it became too antiquated, because it was a standard double DIN install, I just swapped in a Pioneer AVIC Z110BT which worked with my steerin wheel controls, has streaming BT, down loaded all my phone book and contacts, great nav, hands free, reads virtually every music and video format out there, was able to easily add a backup camera (another thing that my 2010 Caddy is woefully missing) parking assist, links to swap information straight like navigation location from my iPhone to the head unit, seamless hard link to iPhone/iPod including charging and nice big HD and I was able to add a front camera to keep from tearing up the airdam. With the Caddy's "unique" pop up headunit, there is virtually no way to upgrade. I know Auto manufacturers don't build cars with modification in mind, but the ability to upgrade technology is something that should be considered. If you going to design system that can not be swapped out, design a system that can be upgraded.

I love my V and bought IN SPITE of the the low tech system. It does irritate me some but a quick press on the skinny pedal solves that problem.

#34 ·
One thing that I wish GM would do is have the ability to update the firmware. I have a Garmin Zumo 665 for my motorcycles, and about every 6 months there is a free firmware update. Just plug it into the laptop, and get the free download.

Sure would be nice if I could hook my laptop up to the USB in the car, and add/fix/update features. Seems like it would be simple enough to do. I'm no I.T. guru, but if Garmin can do it, it seems like GM could too...

#35 ·
I suspect that the next generation CTS will have a nav system that is easy to update. We shouldn't need notebook computers, DVD's, etc., to do it. Why couldn't this be done using OnStar or some "cloud" technology while the car is running? Personally, I'm glad that Cadillac spent most of its time and money on the great engine, manual transmission, suspension and brakes in the V. Be patient, the technology will come.

Jud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.