Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How about Nevada?

5K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  JetFuelOnly 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if NV has smog registration tests that will pass my V's LPE package and Vette Docs AR headers?
Is it as bad as Cali? Or better?

#7 ·
ya, when I bought my V2, I had to have it shipped to Vegas from MD,, and the dealership made me pay for Clark County registration.. Had to get smogged,, was sure it wouldnt pass, but like FLTRI said,, no code = pass.. The guy at the smog place had no idea that my car wasnt supposed to be that loud..lol It was a little place on the corner of Pecos and Sunset next to Robertos..

#9 ·
stock manifolds for now, but the cats are gutted by the previous owner,, at least I am assuming by the smell and how freaking loud the car is.. My Cobra has long tubes and no cats and has a similar stench and audible volume.. Its not the long tubes you have to worry about,, its the cats,,, if you get LTs with high flow cats you shouldnt even have to tune out the CEL/code. LTs without cats are a different story,, you will throw a code right away and that is what they will see with the OBD II tie in..

#10 ·
I have a buddy with a Z06 that is heavily modified. Heads, cam, headers, X-pipe, CAI, no cats, tune, etc... It's wicked fast, very loud and obvious to even the casual observer that it ain't a stock Corvette.

He passes every year without any drama at all...

#12 ·
Not specifically, buy I'm sure he just hits a Jiffy Smog near his house, as do I. Every time I smog a car all they do is plug into the OBD port and check to see if the gas cap is in place. 90 seconds later I have the print out. They send the results directly to Carson City, I go home and renew online...

Like I said earlier, if your not throwing any codes (check engine light not on) you'll be fine...

Be warned though, Nevada has no state tax, but they make up for it in license plate fees. My V was $1110.00 to register the first time. Ouch...

#13 ·
I sent my buddy an email just to double check. Here's what he said...

Me: Do you have any issues getting your smog test done on the Z06 with all the mods? If so, how do you get around it???

Reply: No issues. It passed every time. That was one of the conditions I imposed when I had the mod's done. Usually Gil (who did my tuning) can force the engine parameters enough to make it work. I think the biggest problems occur with very aggressive cams.

#14 ·
My V has the redline motorsports stage 4 treatment with a moderately aggressive cam and I passed smog,,, dont remember the exact cam specs,, somewhere in the .630/.660 range.. She was loping pretty good at the smog place, so I was worried..lol The guy knew absolutely nothing about the CTS-V..

#17 ·
Yeah, and if you think you are going to beat the system by not paying California sales tax, think again. The DMV will hit you with an additional 8.1% of MSRP on top of the $1110.00 registration fees. I bought a Harley in Utah, and didn't pay the Utah sales tax. They got me when I registered it here. Double Ouch...

It's Nevada's little Thank You for not paying state income tax...

G
#18 ·
Does anyone know if NV has smog registration tests that will pass my V's LPE package and Vette Docs AR headers?
Is it as bad as Cali?
Then there is that other little pesky problem, which is if CA nails you for registering in NV to avoid Cali's smog laws and registration fees. I watched a doctor's MBZ in the commercial complex I worked in get seized. Took it away on a roll-back. He got it back after he paid up some huge $$$ for civil and criminal penalties.
He thought he out smarted them by registering it in Oregon just to avoid CA's high tag fees and sales tax. They had the last laugh. FWIW

#21 ·
I've gotten nailed for no front plate twice, but only by HP. It doesnt help if you have the little screw holes,, if not you can use the excuse "it didnt come with provisions for a front plate when I bought it",, there is some law stating that if your car wasnt designed to have a front plate then you are exempt,, but that is pretty open to interpretation.
I just put the plate back on, have a cop sign it off, pay a small fine if need be then immediately take it back off. Did this same thing in AZ with mud-flap tickets. NV doesnt give a shit about mud-flaps..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.