Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Touch-up paint recommendations?

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Harrisburg Hat 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 Thunder gray V with a couple of small paint chips and was hoping to find a way to touch those areas up. I have to imagine with such a thin coat of paint on the car other must have had similar issues (although no luck searching the forum). I was curious what options I would have to fix this issue. Is there anywhere I can buy a small amount of the factory color paint? Would it be wiser just to take it to a paint shop and have them do it? The marks are really small but it is something that I constantly notice and would love to fix.

----------

More research leaded to some helpful results.... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/145937-touch-up-paint.html

#3 ·
There is an art to doing touch up just right. With a tricoat process you need to do the following: First go get the factory touch up. You will get two bottles instead of three. First apply just a small dab of color to fill the chip. This will dry so it is lower than the factory paint and should be allowed to dry for a number of hours. Next apply the clear, which in the case of the tricoat actually has a tint to it. It is both clear and a tint to match the color of the car. If you apply too little it will be too light and too much makes the shade a bit dark. This coat needs to actually rise and dry so it sticks out above the factory finish. If your blob is a bit light after the first attempt at putting it on simply add another layer until the color is right each time allowing it to dry. Take your time! Let this coat dry overnight. Next you will wet sand the area with a small sanding block (I use a small one inch square piece of soft wood) and 2000 or 3000 grit until the repair is sanded down to the factory finish. You must be careful not to sand off too much of the factory clear around the repair and be careful not to press too hard on the bubble of the repaired area. Let the abrasive on the paper do the work. Last step is to take some polishing compound and a finishing wheel to the area to bring back the shine. If done properly you will need to really look for the repair. It does take some practice and you may want to perfect your techique on another vehicle or in a hidden area before attempting on a real panel. You only get one shot at doing the repair.

#9 ·
I have a 2009 Thunder gray V with a couple of small paint chips and was hoping to find a way to touch those areas up.

Your best, and easiest, bet is "AutomotiveTouchup". They offer a set of touch-up pens in Factory Colors and are simple to use. The set of primer, Factory tint and clear coat pens totals less that $30 (including shipping). Works great and covers well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.