Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2012 CTS-V Coupe Skip Shift Eliminator

17K views 68 replies 33 participants last post by  akh 
#1 ·
I am new here and to Cadillac. I just purchased a new 2012 CTS-V Coupe 6 speed. The skip shift ( 1 - 4 ) is driving me nuts. Who makes a Skip Shift Eliminator for the V2 ? I have found lots of V1 ( 04 - 07 ) units but not V2 ( 09 - 12 ).

Zack

#4 ·
hmm....i have had my 2011 coupe for 7 months....and dont think i have run into this problem yet.....my 2005 V had the issue.....but i havent even seen the light blink with the 2011....

#5 ·
Keith,

It only shows up in slow traffic. I only have 400 miles on mine and its happen three times. I have fixed this problem on my Vettes with one of those plug & play units, but I can't find one for the V2. It really shocks you when you find youself in the middle of an intersection ....... in no gear ........ trying to find second gear and being blocked out of it.

Zack

#6 ·
I have yet to run into the problem after about 900 miles. And I live in LA and I have so far been in some severe traffic where it took an hour to go 10 miles.

What RPM are you at when you shift out of first? I don't drive the Vagon any different than all my other cars, and I have never had the skip shift thing come on. I get 15mpg.

#7 ·
Yeah my v1 did this MUCH worse than the v2. The thresholds must be different. I had to remove it on my v1 but I can totally live with it on the v2 since it rarely happens.

#8 ·
Junker,

It is at low rpm but, I can't tell exactly because you go into panic mode finding yourself in NO gear at all. I know the solution is to up the rpm between first and second ..... but I'd rather just rid myself of this issue as I have with my Vettes. Its an easy, cheap fix ....... but I can't find the part number or vendor.

Zack

#13 ·
Very annoying and stupid....not sure who thought CAGS was a good idea....But i really think the V2 is better...I think you should go back to dealer and have them check it somehow....yours seems to be way to sensitive....( maybe its in the tune somehow..?)

#20 ·
It's CAFE. Do you want it without? Fine, pony up another $1300 on your gas guzzler tax. You think GM put it in for the hell of it???

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Zack,
Where are you? ANY tuner worth his salt can disable that in about 3 minutes. You must be driving your new V EXTREMELY gentle. I have a 6MT coupe and I REALLY have to try to get Skip-Shift to cut in. Anything above idle on the 1-2 shift will disable the S-S.

See a tuner.

George
Agreed. I have to be crawling in 1st and then ever-so-gently go into 2nd. In the V1, it was VERY intrusive. In the V2, just give it a tiny bit more gas and you'll never see it. I've had it activate 3 times in my 30k+ miles. A non-issue.

Besides, 556hp will get 4th gear up and moving quickly, anyway...

#15 ·
I am surprised you are having a problem with it. Like who Houdini said, it was very intrusive on my 2005 CTS-V. But on my Camaro SS, I hardly ever get it. And when I do, half the time, the 1-4 pops up on the DIC but it still lets me into 2nd. Of course 90% of the time, I start in 2nd gear anyway.

#18 ·
FWIW, SLP sells one (part # 21008) that works on the 5th Gen Camaro and other models as well , but they have not verified its use for the V2. It may or may not work on our cars...
Considering the other models it works on ('97-'12 'Vet, 4th Gen F-Body, GTO, G8 GXP), it just might work, but SLP, being the kind of standup company they are, won't say that it works until they know for sure that it actually does.

Best regards,

Elie

#22 ·
25K miles so far and has only activated three times. I can't even remember what I did to invoke it, because it has been so rare, and it really surprised me when it happened. Never mentioned in any of the reviews, either. I tend to baby it around town, due to traffic and some ridiculous speed traps in low speed-limit areas, so I'm not sure what you are doing to cause it to happen. Are you short shifting out of first, perhaps? Try adding a few hundred RPM before shifting and see if that helps.

#23 ·
I have to agree with saying the CAGS on our V2s is very unobtrusive. This is my 3rd GM manual to have it (other 2 being 95 Z28 and 05 GTO) and with 6k miles on my V I've only tripped it once.

#24 ·
Bought the 2011 V Coupe a year ago August. I have encountered the designed Skip-Shift only a couple of times in the year up to now. However, three days ago, after having stopped at a traffic light, when green I proceeded forward but was held to a very slow speed by traffic. When I attempted to upshift my Manual Transmission, at the point where I was in a neutral position, I felt the Skip-Shift take over. I could not continue to Second, nor any other gear. :helpless:
The Transmission was jammed so that no gear could be selected and the V would not engage any gear, leaving me in a locked up condition with no ability to shift at all.
I tried double clutching; tried forcing the selector back to First Gear; then attempted Fourth and Third. The shift lever would not move! I braked the car to a stop. Tranny still jammed between gears with the Coupe unable to move.
A couple of more Double Clutching moves (release clutch and quickly depress; linkage finally cleared the jam), then I was able to move to select First Gear. There were no problems throughout the remainder of my travels.
It repeated the jam the next morning :annoyed: after just a few minutes of driving from a garaged cold condition; ambient temperature about 24 Degrees F. Once my Double-Clutch technique released the lockout from all gears, I took it to the Dealer. He called today and reported that he had been able to repeat the jamming/lockup condition :angel: two days in a row.
He has now disengaged the Skip-Shift relay and the transmission operated without failure. The Dealer is keeping the CTS V Coupe to research and test for the cause.
Now What!?

#26 ·
Be still my heart. I appreciate your acknowledging my service experience. :cloud9:
Actually, when I returned to the Service Lane, the Service Manager himself approached me exclaiming that he had taken a personal interest in my CTS V Coupe difficulties. Such a stimulating and refreshing feeling.

The Dealership had just been bought out by another Dealership. The new Service Manager turned out to be a very old friend in the car business. He really talks 'CAR'. And now, to have a Forum member's empathy is above and beyond my greatest imagination.

Another aside: I received a check in the mail paying for my V's damaged front fender and Driver'-side door that occurred while assisting my handicapped wife's accessing our parked car following Pain Therapy.
Merry Christmas to all. :worship:

#27 ·
I received a copy of the Service Order finally. The Service Writer couldn't spell or write an intelligible sentence if his life or discerning my problem depended upon it (which it does!). Here is their report:
Road tested multiple times and verified concern [Manual Transmission Lock-up]. No Service Bulletins found.
Called Tech Line; they instructed us to disconnect the Skip-Shift Solenoid and road test. After road testing two times, the concern [Manual Transmission Lock-up] is still present.
Pinpointed issue to a faulty shifter assembly; a failed bushing.
Removed Exhaust and Prop Shaft. Replaced Shifter Assembly.
Road tested and rechecks OK.

----------

I have driven the car for two days, following their Warranty repair. It drives smoothly and the Manual Transmission functions properly.
I have experienced no [Manual Transmission Lock-up] concerns at all. We are very happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.