Cadillac Owners Forum banner

F10 M5 does the 'ring in 7:55...

4K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  M5eater 
#1 ·
#6 ·
A good 150-200 lbs lighter than the V...with similar power. Formidable.

Wonder who was driving, Herr Worle? Wonder what Johnny O could do in a V coupe?

#16 ·
I completely agree with this. There is still a HUGE market for the DTS and it's the most common Cadillac I see around here....driven by old folken and those who appreciate a supple ride in a nice luxury car and who don't care about RWD or FWD. It's the market the XTS is meant for. I have NO problem with Cadillac trying to support both its traditional market and bringing in new guys like me, who never have considered owning a Cadillac before three years ago.

....not to mention I have a closet love for the newer DTSs....

In any case, there is still improvement to be made on interior quality. If the interior quality can be improved to Honda/Acura, or better yet--Audi quality, that can only be good.

#20 ·
The dts is more comfortable than any other car mentioned here. It's also a mature design so there are no surprises. It sells well and has a loyal following. And it's like driving in your living room. Many folks appreciate it. It's just not an enthusiast ride. Which is why it gets hate. And I hate when people criticize it for that reason.

#21 · (Edited)
being a more comfort oriented ride is fine, I'm not arguing that, I'm arguing; gas mileage,power trainn, material build/quality,gadgett features and in need of a refreshed exterior. There's classic and timeless design and then there's producing the exact same car from 05 to 2011. I realize there are other cars with longer than6 year production cycles, but I bet all had a least 1 major refresh in between.

me personally, if I'm going to spend $50,000 I *would* like to be surprised and impressed, maybe it's better to say my beef isn't so much with the DTS as it is with GM for not learning from their mistakes. The Impala is another great candidate for my nerd rage.

G
#22 ·
I hate to break it to you, but my friend that is a salesman at a local high sales Cadillac dealership bestowed upon me a truth that I hadn't expected:

75% of DTS owners DONT want navigation.

Astounded, I asked "why in the world would someone NOT want navigation in their band new car?"

The truth was that the demographic that is buying the DTS' (generally people in their mid to late 60s and beyond,) DONT want to hassle with a huge, complex navigation system. They want as few buttons as possible, as few features as possible, and a good, quiet, comfortable ride. The DTS appeals to this generation of owners. The ones who want to turn a key, drive to church, and not have to deal with all the gee-wiz features on brand new cars. This is why the DTS appeals to them. Why in the world do you think the DTS is still offered with NO navigation, a bench seat, and column shift?

Because thats how MANY of the DTS' are configured brand new. Many of the DTS owners want it as simple and luxurious as it gets - turn key, enjoy a soft ride with more than enough torque to get out of the way of an emergency, and little to no problems. Should I mention the DTS was actually the most dependable large premium sedan by JD Power in 2001? Take that import luxury sedans:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2011/03...-dts-the-most-dependable-large-premium-sedan/

And to think, I learned all this because my 24 year old best friend couldn't find a DTS with navigation, bucket seats, and floor shift in Ohio. Think twice before you knock the DTS. Cadillac obviously knows more about the market than we do.

#32 ·
I love the DTS. I'm a cadillac guy first and foremost. I just happen to drive a V for now. As much as I am glad that cadillac has begun to appeal to a younger demographic, I wish more of my fellow V owners appreciated the heritage behind this car. The DTS defines cadillac in many ways. It's the presidential limo baby! Like my parents before me, I will always drive a cadillac.

#34 ·
there's that 7:55 number again... at least we have some publication that backs it up now, and that means the F10 is practicly even with a CTS-V if it can only manage 4 seconds advantage on a 13mile course. Which you could probally chauck up to the the driver or even the tires, or transmission choice... It also means I can keep my plates with just a pully or tune. :)

#40 ·
whats more impressive is that BMW improved the M5s time from 8:13 (e60)... thats a TON of time shaved off... largely in part, i assume, to the Vs stellar showing.

If you look at the times on the list, Im betting there isnt much more to gain in these cars... The new M5 is 3 seconds off a Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4? a Ford GT?

I seriously think 7:55 is the near the floor for a production sedan.

#42 ·
Even more impressive that BMW did it with a car that weighs almost 4300 pounds. Lots of new components in the F10 M5 so it's hard to key on single new component as the critical factor for the improved time. However, the meatier torque curve of the S63Tü engine would be an obvious place to start as a key to the M5's low time on the "Ring's curves.

In that sense, the F10 M5 is following GM's work with the CTS-V in going with a lower revving forced-induction V8 over the old high-revving V10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.