Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Leaking Sunroof

37K views 66 replies 28 participants last post by  Ltdc 
#1 ·
I contributed to Keepupp's post about his sunroof leaking by including my new V sedan as another one that leaked.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...2009/223704-brand-new-cts-v-taking-water.html

Well, yesterday my dealership initially told me I need a new sunroof, but today they say that what caused the leaking was a loose drain hose. They are repairing and making it better by putting new clamps on the hose and ordering me a new headliner.

Caderac posted in another thread that you have to remove the windshield to change the headliner. My service manager says NO, you just have to take out the front passenger seat. Otherwise, I would have told them to leave the headliner in.

Hopefully this repair will work and I won't have to replace the sunroof.

#2 ·
Yeah had the same thing, just got my car back from the dealer yesterday... there are apparently two drain hoses that sometimes come loose or (occasionally) get stopped up. In my case, when that happened, water started running into the car everywhere BUT through the sunroof (it started coming in through the sunroof buttons above the console, and through the back of the car - soaking the back floorboard).

They had the car up with fans blowing into the back seat to dry it out for 3 days. Still got a 'musty' smell, and i told them if that doesn't go away in the next week or so, i'm going to want new carpet. definitely not driving a car i've owned for under 2 weeks that's already had flood damage ;)

I was speaking to two other Cadillac owners at the dealership. One owned a CTS, the other a STS. Both said they'd had problems with the sunroof leaking, and both times it was related not to the seal, but to the drain hose.

#5 ·
My 2011 sedan had the leak also just got it back today, it was at dealer for a week. The problem was at the back of the sunroof frame where there is a plastic to metal corner that also has the drain nipple. The "putty" used was not sealing at the metal to plastic joint according to the tech that repaired it. They have ordered a new headliner which should be here in two weeks. The advisor told me that they plan to remove the rear window to put the new headliner in. I have heard front windshield, and now just remove passenger seat to get the headliner in. I wish I knew the correct way it has to be done. I would rather they not remove any glass.

#11 ·
Sunroofs are notorious for leaking on many different models and brands of vehicles. You would think GM would have learned how to manufacture a better system of sealing and drainage by now.

FWIW that's why I shy away from cars with sunroofs, and ordered every option except the sunroof on my Vagon.

#14 · (Edited)
Hmm, I guess if my luck with sunroofs were that bad I wouldn't want them either. Then again, I'd probably still take the risk just to not have to look at a stark, bare roof panel. It's incredibly unattractive to me. I suppose because I associate it with a more entry level vehicle, but appearance is an individual preference anyway.

That being said, the Ultraview is more prone to problems because it goes beyond just being a hole in the roof, to actually becoming part OF the roof. Flex, stress, and installation that isn't 100 percent dead on seems to have unfortunate consequences. It's important to make the designation, since someone searching could see a thread like this later and assume the regular sunroofs are condemned too.

Too bad, because those glass roof panels are beautiful.

#15 ·
Just got her back from the dealer. They are ordering a new headliner, even though mine isn't stained. The service manager said that it still could stain, plus they are having to replace the C pillar trim piece as it is now warped. Said it could take 10 days or more (business I assume) for the headliner to get here.

#19 ·
Not so fast! Just washed it again this evening and guess what, sunroof (UV) still leaking!! Back to square one. I assume they will order a new sunroof. If that is the case, and for some reason it still doesn't fix the problem, I will be requesting (demanding) a new car WITHOUT a sunroof!!

#22 ·
These panoramic roof stories are incredible. I wouldn't get a V with one on a bet... I'm sorry for all of those who are having to mess with them. I find that most dealers don't have a clue how to be as clean, detailed, and professional as I expect. Given that, I would be having convulsions at this point...

#23 ·
Well the dealer took the headliner down and all the seats out while looking for the leak. It took them a while to get it to leak, but the SM said it was from spraying the sunroof from the back of the car. They are getting a field engineer to come look at it tomorrow, as well as contacting all the higher ups at GM and Cadillac. It will get fixed or I will get a new car (with NO sunroof!!)

#24 ·
UPDATE:

SM called and said that he talked to the brand manager, I think, who knew about the leaking sunroof problem. I believe that this problem is what the quality control shutdown of the plant was that occurred on or the day before my car came off the line on 2/23/11. They did a patch fix of whatever the problem was on the assembly line and that obviously did not work out in the long run. That might have been why my car didn't leak initially. SO, they have a new fix that they sent to my dealer and they are going to take the sunroof out and apply this new fix over the next couple of days. The new headliner and C pillar trim pieces are in, so at least I won't have to return to get those put on later. I really hope that this fix works, or I might just make a trip up to Lansing and give them back their car, through the front door of the plant!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.