Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Must Read All New CTS-V Owners !!

86K views 100 replies 47 participants last post by  Lady3bglover 
#1 ·
It's been something thats being discussed now more than before because it seems we have alot of new coupe owners popping up on the forum.

Guys, you should realllly replace all of your fluids within the first few hundred miles on your V. I'm talking rear diff & trans. Have your coolant levels checked, ie other fluids also.

We've had countless cases on the forums where the V has come extremely short with fluids from the factory. Most noticeably the rear diff. Within my first 100 miles I had diff noise and had all my fluids changed. No more diff noise. Later on when I had my heat exchanger put on at Jesse's they drained out about 1 red solo cup full of coolant out of my stock exchanger ?!?

It's really an inexpensive and wise move. A few hundred bucks to cover all changed fluids is alot cheaper than dealing with the dealership at 5k when you have issues with your diff and they don't want to warranty it because you've decided to "mod" your V. Just a heads up.

#39 ·
Specifically service or check the diff & tranny.

You may also want to check coolant level

I know cadillac has a service check system where they check everything and mark off that which is good and advise you of what needs to be serviced. It includes brake pad level. Ask them to do that for you

#44 ·
i finally got a chance to take a look at the 128 point inspection sheet for PDIs and as far as I could tell checking the diff fluid level is not on there

so i would conclude that the diff levels being off would be fault of the factory (not to pass the buck or anything, but that's how i'm seeing it)

#47 ·
I have an appt. to have the Oil,trans,rear diff, and coolant changed on Monday. We will see what is up with the levels.

#49 ·
Roger, thanks! Will report back.

#52 ·
Adding to the discussion on the OLM, I had four oil samples drawn on my 06 CTS-V which was my daily driver from 06-09. My commute was very short (about 5 miles) and the OLM counted down very quickly due to the startup temp and operating temp degredations mentioned above. Despite using a good oil, I chose to change my oil out at 25% remaining on the OLM. Based on these four samples (oldest Mobil 1 5w30 and most recent three AMSOIL 0w30) that was a slightly over-conservative point to change the oil, but the OLM overall proved to be a good tool to use to change the oil:
Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis

And although GM has replaced Dexron III with Dexron VI, I'm still a little skeptical of factory fluids. In my tranny (Dexron III) the fluid had sheared low out of grade in just over 10k miles. Dexron VI will almost certainly perform better, but I'm still in the camp that recommends replacing the factory fluids sometime very early in a car's life.
2006 Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis ATF Transmission Fluid
:cheers:

#55 ·
so where is the change procedure for the auto tranny fluid? or where to tell if your low or not? My car is going on my lift tonight to change the oil, and I wanna check the tranny fluid level since I think it's slipping...

ideas?

I know we have it posted somewhere here, but search and google are drawing a blank.

#58 ·
and my boy has an 06 or 07 stock z06 he blew the engine running a lambo they tested the oil to make shur he was runnin mobil1 synthetic...he said they told him if he wasent it was not covered under warranty......not shur if thats going to be the same deal with the cadillac but just sumthin to think about

#59 ·
Try checking the viscosity of the oil by rubbing it in your finger tips. Once you get the hang of it, its really helpful.
The reason to change it in the first 500mi is
--> During the initial stage "run in" machining takes places between the piston and cylinder in small amounts. The machined metal(Scrap) flows through the oil. So it is advisable to change it within the first 700 miles.
A way to check it. Some engines have a metallic drain plug. So the metal parts get attracted to this drain plug. When you check the drain plug between the first and second service you can notice that the first once has more(relatively) metal powder compared to the second one.

#62 ·
Hello there guys,
Had my fluids changed today, since I got paranoid with all this talk about what is, or might be, best to do. It was not an inexpensive deal, though. I had engine, tranny (auto) and rear end changed. Total was $540.39.
Of course, I'm now good for many worry free miles on tranny and rear end. I made sure they didn't reset my "oil change indicator" since my Normal oil changes are included in my "care package"..... this way I'll get one
more early change out of the deal and my engine should be void of any excessive metal particles from my break in period.
It would have been much less without the tranny flush, but it did give me some more peace of mind to change all the fluids. Because of the warning in this thread, I had the dealer check the rear end shortly after getting
the car and it was fine....
I watched them check it by topping it off. It took maybe an ounce or two.

#63 ·
It's a good thing you took care of it. A lot of you new owners have to realize also that the dealer will NOT tell you if your new V was low on fluids. Why ? because it's their responsibility as soon as they take in your new V to verify that everything as it should be. They're not going to tell you, " oh we found out your diff barely had any oil in it ", " we WON'T charge you for the fluid change because of that ". You think the dealership will tell you if you're low and than not charge you for it ? very few honest dealers will do that nowadays.

#64 ·
I mentioned this to the woman who got us in to see our car built. I emailed to ask her if the fluid was checked in the full audit I got. Her reply:

The differential fluid is not checked at the plant. It comes to us prefilled.

Thank you for the heads up on the potential issue. I forwarded your note onto our warranty group and they are investigating it through research in the warranty database. We have also contacted our brand quality manager to determine if differential fluid is checked at the dealer (delivery inspection check). You can always ask the dealer about your concern.

#66 ·
taking possession of 2012 V sedan in 2 weeks. Do i have the fluids checked prior to taking delivery, or do i drive approximately 700 miles and then take it to the dealer to check levels. By the way, someone was saying that they had the fluids changed it cost almost $550. Is this not something that would be covered under the warranty? Maybe i am thinking that topping off should be covered, but not a full flush and refill. Anyway, appreciate this info. Sold my 04 CTSV and thought i would never let it go, until i test drove the 2012 - iyiyiy.

#68 ·
I always change all fluids (excluding brake fluid) at about 500 miles in order to flush out any manufacturing debris. Some metal particles and once in awhile, some malitious intententional contamination needs purging.:helpless:
And.... I always check post-flush for correct fluid levels following the 500-mile fluid replacement. One time, the manual transmission oil level was a half-quart low - Dealer mechanic trying to make an extra $25.00 by not installing the full design fill of expensive mineral oil. I actually (really did) encountered a mechanic that did not know how to change the rear differential oil. On my Jeep, there is no drain plug; one must open the Differential "pumpkin" to drain the oil. Of course, the gasket will have to be replaced. For some reason there is only an upper fill plug.

#69 ·
I always change all fluids (excluding brake fluid) at about 500 miles in order to flush out any manufacturing debris. Some metal particles and once in awhile, some malitious intententional contamination needs purging.:helpless:
And.... I always check post-flush for correct fluid levels following the 500-mile fluid replacement. One time, the manual transmission oil level was a half-quart low - Dealer mechanic trying to make an extra $25.00 by not installing the full design fill of expensive mineral oil. I actually (really did) encountered a mechanic that did not know how to change the rear differential oil. On my Jeep, there is no drain plug; one must open the Differential "pumpkin" to drain the oil. Of course, the gasket will have to be replaced. For some reason there is only an upper fill plug.
WTF? are you saying that someone intentionally contaminates the fluids at the factory? and how would you know?

and how is a dealer tech going to make money by not filling your fluid to the correct level? techs can't turn parts (especially fluids) into cash very easily
first, it's a BIG BIG no-no ... first offense is grounds for termination at our shop

did they charge you for the correct amount of fluid but leave a quart low?
so you suspect the tech kept the extra bottle and then sold it back to the dealer to be used on another car?
i've heard of techs doing stuff like that to get fluids for their personal cars (saving themselves money) - still just as big of a no-no
but i've never heard of them selling the fluids to make some cash

unethical people are everywhere ... that's why trust is such a big factor in choosing who to do business with (especially in a service oriented industries like automotive, finance and hospitality)

#72 ·
The diff is covered under the TSB if you get a clunk, "chatter" or howling.

#10-04-20-001B: Rear Axle Clunk and/or Chatter Type Noise on Turns (Drain/Refill Rear Differential Fluid) - (Apr 21, 2010)
Subject: Rear Axle Clunk and/or Chatter Type Noise on Turns (Drain/Refill Rear Differential Fluid)

Models: 2003-2010 Cadillac CTS, Sport Wagon (Including V-Series and Export)
2004-2009 Cadillac SRX (Including Export)
2005-2010 Cadillac STS (Including V-Series and Export)
Equipped with Limited Slip Differential (RPO G80)

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk and/or chatter type noise from the rear of the vehicle while making turns.

This condition may be worse on vehicles built prior to the 2008 model year. Carbon-faced clutch plates were introduced into production in the 2008 model year and have decreased the likelihood of the clutch plate chatter.

Cause
This condition may be caused by slip/stick of the posi-traction clutch plates due to insufficient limited-slip axle additive. As plates slip and stick, a jumping or jerking feel occurs accompanied by a clunk noise.

Correction
Important: DO NOT remove the differential cover. It is not necessary to flush the old fluid from the differential.

Drain and refill the rear differential with fluid, GM P/N 88862624 (in Canada, 88862625). Refer to the Axle Lubricant Change procedure in SI.

This fluid includes a friction modifier already added with a different formulation that lasts longer and does not break down over time.

Without Differential Oil Cooler
1.10 L
1.16 qt

With Differential Oil Cooler
1.41 L
1.50 qt

Parts Information
Part Number

88862624 (US -1 qt)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.