Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Must Read All New CTS-V Owners !!

86K views 100 replies 47 participants last post by  Lady3bglover 
#1 ·
It's been something thats being discussed now more than before because it seems we have alot of new coupe owners popping up on the forum.

Guys, you should realllly replace all of your fluids within the first few hundred miles on your V. I'm talking rear diff & trans. Have your coolant levels checked, ie other fluids also.

We've had countless cases on the forums where the V has come extremely short with fluids from the factory. Most noticeably the rear diff. Within my first 100 miles I had diff noise and had all my fluids changed. No more diff noise. Later on when I had my heat exchanger put on at Jesse's they drained out about 1 red solo cup full of coolant out of my stock exchanger ?!?

It's really an inexpensive and wise move. A few hundred bucks to cover all changed fluids is alot cheaper than dealing with the dealership at 5k when you have issues with your diff and they don't want to warranty it because you've decided to "mod" your V. Just a heads up.

#8 · (Edited)
In 1970 I worked at a Cadillac Dealership in the new car service garage.
Insufficient power - running rough = one entire piston and associated connecting rod, etc. not installed.
Banging, rattling in fender = pop bottle wired/suspended inside right fender just ahead of right front door.
Dash emblem in Sedan Deville read: Eldorado/ door insignia = Seville/ Trunk ID = Coupe DeVille
Wierd interior sounds, = right internal sail panel trim missing.
Transport driver while unloading car - this car has a custom (??:lies:??) exhaust = no exhaust at all.
I should have kept a diary.:tisk:
My CTS V Coupe arrived August 12. At just over 700 miles, we had Rear Differential, Transmission, and Engine Fluids changed. Coincidentally this flushed all the manufacturing debris and likely improved longevity of the car.
I asked the mechanic to show me how it was done (therefore verifying correct fluid levels).

#9 ·
So I assume the owners manuel tells you exactly what brand fluids the V comes with, if sticking with the factory that is?

I like AMSOIL and Royal Purple engine oil, and Redline fluids as well.

#10 ·
CTS V Owner's Manual oil specifications:
http://www.cadillac.com/assets/pdf/owners/manuals/manuals_2011/2011_cadillac_cts_owners_manual.pdf
Page 10-12 Vehicle Care
Notice: Use only engine oil that is approved to the dexosTM specification or an equivalent engine oil of the appropriate
viscosity grade. Engine oils approved to the dexosTM specification will show the dexosTM symbol on the container.
Viscosity Grade SAE 5W-30 is the best viscosity grade for the vehicle.
... ..you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade.

Engine Oil Life System When to Change Engine Oil
When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it indicates that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes on.
If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 5 000 km (3,000 miles) since the last oil change.
Remember to reset the Oil Life System whenever the oil is changed.
Engine Oil Filter 6.2L V8 Engine GM Part No: 89017524 AC Delco Part No: PF48
Engine Oil with Filter 6.2LV8 Engine 5.7 L (6.0 qt)

It seems to me to imply that the recommended oil change interval is 3000 miles. This suits my sensativity to oil and engine reliability.:preach:

#41 ·
Thanks, very good info. About to purchase my V-Coupe.

#11 ·
I only agree with the advice of checking them, NOT replacing them. I got my car used, wasn't sure if I had the sythetic engine oil, so I did change that. I was going west in high heat, and to race it, so I wanted to be sure. I only checked the levels on the others.

#12 ·
".... .checking them, NOT replacing them."
The economy of avoiding the expense of an extra fluid change as compared to the costs of major component replacement is an interesting choice!????:bomb:
And, consider that most of the damages imposed on my cars has been during and as the result of Warranty work for component replacements. :eek:

#13 ·
I say replace because you are doing 2x things at 1 time. Not only are you verifying you have the proper amount of fluids but if you are also getting rid of the original fluid that contains break-in material from the diff, trans, etc. Honestly if you can afford a 60K+ vehicle and cannot afford a couple hundred bucks in fluids than you have your priorities in disarray.

#15 ·
Stephen P, the reference to a 3,000 mile interval is if you accidentally reset the OLM (therefore you don't know what the oil life percentage really is) so they suggest changing it at 3,000 miles ...

for instance, if you were at 40% oil life and had gone 4,000 miles since your last oil change GM would suggest just getting your oil changed and then resetting the OLM back to 100%... sure you could guess and go a few more weeks or months, but then you're guessing ...

if you had only driven about 1,000 miles since your last oil change and accidentally reset the OLM then GM would suggest going another 2,000 miles and then changing the oil (sure you could go further but again you'd be guessing at the actual oil life)

ALSO, about the oil... you quoted this:
you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade.
but you left out the context of that statement which was that you can use any starburst 5w30 oil as a substitute for topping off the oil level only, not for a full fill

also note that the dexos™ oils are only for 2011 and newer vehicles... (and the CTS-V actually has a different oil spec than the regular cts if I recall correctly)

#22 ·
Stephen P, (really is) so they suggest changing it at 3,000 miles ...
and go a few more weeks or months, but then you're guessing ...

if you ...,,. also note that the... (and the CTS-V actually has a different oil spec than the regular cts if I recall correctly)
"the reference to a 3,000 mile interval is if you accidentally reset the OLM" does not identify how many miles are previously driven! Therefore "for instance, if you were at 40% oil life" as calculated for miles + driving conditions, the miles driven could be 200 or 10,000. If I had driven ten (10) miles and reset the OLM, "therefore you do not know what the oil life percentage" nor do I care.
I will be changing within a measured known 3,000 miles. Weeks or months, no. Mile limit, yes! Yup, this exceeds the GM Waranty service frequency. They will certainly take my money. ".. sure you could guess"
ALSO, about the oil......context of that statement..", this thread addresses OLM Reset, with an aside reference to oil viscosity. Actually, If anyone wants this much BS in a reply, go to the Owner's Manual. "...dexos™ oils are only for 2011 and newer vehicles...." I GUESS (on this statement) this is somewhat relevant. The GM Computer Oil Life Calculation is an arbitrary determination that I will not trust. If it included input from an oil conductivity (fouling) probe [such devices are available], I would consider it.
"...you left out.. use any starburst 5w30 oil as a substitute for topping off." OK?

#23 ·
Stephen, I'm having a hard time understanding what you're saying here.

What I can figure out is that you don't seem to understand how the OLM system works.
First, it's not arbitrary. Second, it does not take miles driven into account.
Read up on it here

That post is kind of long, but it's very informative and from a PowerTrain Engineer. The following is the basic rundown of the OLM system.
The GM engine oil life monitor counts engine revolutions and accumulates the number for the basis of the oil life calculation. It then adds deterioration factors for operating temperature, start up temperature, soak times, ambient, coolant temperature, etc...
And lastly, I'm not sure why you edited/modified/added to what I wrote and cut it up. Kind of makes it seem like you're trying to misquote me, and as I said at first it also makes it harder to read and comprehend.

If you want to keep up with 3,000 mile oil change intervals that's fine with me. I'm just trying to make sure that there's not a misunderstanding or misinformation and that you (and others that may be reading this) know what the OLM system is really doing and how it works.

Hope you all had a great turkey day,
Chris

#24 ·
"... .understand how the OLM system works.."
I understand that the OLM is the ultimate compromise. If you do not want to spend money, take the time, or involve yourself in mundane inocuous car maintenance....then watch the oil life % indication.
I understand that your noble interpretation is ideal and far above my humble capabilities. Having a degree in Geology, extensive chemistry and math education, practical 33 years of experience, Licensed Nuclear Engineer, etc. merely!
Mongo cannot (will not) accept (understand??) acquiescing to compromised standards. I bow to you. Sir!

#25 ·
Um... what?

Did you read the explanation of the OLM in the link I provided?
This is not some 'interpretation' as you put it. This is science fact.
There's no compromise here either. Just maximizing efficiency.
I'm pretty sure that the people who invented the system have a longer list of accolades and higher ed degrees than you (like that really matters anyway).

But the point is that it works and it's been tested ... and it's been in use for over two decades.

The whole point of the system is to save owners money and to conserve natural resources.
It's obviously your choice to do the oil changes at whatever interval you choose, but I think you're greatly misinformed here.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3,000_mile_myth

Cheers,
Chris

#26 ·
I refuse to believe that today, the Cadillac dealers do not check fluid levels AND the factory sent a car low on a fluid. Both situations would have to exist for a new owner to receive a car low on a fluid. Not believing that is very likely at all. In fact, I think it to be so unlikely, that I will not even check fluid levels except oil and only after driving a few hundred miles or so.

#33 ·
"The whole point of the system is to save owners money..... .."
Instruments fail - often. Programming is inflexible - fails often. Probes, timers, tranmitters - untrustworthy. Sampling with chemical analysis - more reliable.
For my work environment, our largest prime mover (motor), the 1700 gallon crank case oil reservoir was sampled and analysed twice each day. This was redundant and a back up to Conductivity, gaseous, pH, monitoring for certain chemicals yielded by oil break-down; moisture content, specific volume and weight analysis, viscosity and temperature control laboratory testing. This was further backed up by frequent oil changes.
Worst problem - instrument loss or failure. If the instrument stops, stop the machine because you don't know that an equipment failure did not occur one second later. Selling bridges?????? Trust that there still is an island at the other end.
"I think you're [ignorant] greatly misinformed here."""" Thanks for the expert guidance. I do not pray to the GM Idols. .
Still not listening! If I needed to save money, I would buy a Fiat 500.
Right!:bigroll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.