Cadillac Owners Forum banner
77K views 213 replies 66 participants last post by  6104696 
#1 ·
A concern was the lack of spare in the trunk and since I am on the road all day long I had to make something work.

I bought lots of parts from the Caddy dealer and made a full bolt on kit. I milled out the back of the wheel and made a proper spacer/adaptor to fit.

Check it out, well once again this forum sucks and I cant upload the photos. Why hasn't this feature been corrected?

#110 ·
I purchased the kit on eBay, and received it a few days ago since nothing was really happening on the group buy front. It is a solid kit with all GM parts other than an additional Craftsman wrench. The wrench is for the bolts on the spare, which are slightly different in size from the stockers on the wheel. Here's what you get:

Wheel front

Rear of the wheel (made in China by GM? WTF, GM?)

The remainder of the kit: Jack, hook, wrench. Clearly a GM kit. Given that it fits the CTS properly, this is probably from a stock CTS kit. The wheel is not from a CTS kit, however (checked part number).

The stock air compressor.

New holder on the left, old one on the right.

Tool kit installed.

All together.

Purchased for $589+shipping. The price compares with a stock CTS spare tire kit, which comes with all this for $250 ($215 from Luke at Lindsay). Not sure how much it costs to machine a wheel to fit. I'm sure the seller allowed for a tidy profit...this is America, so it's allowed.... Still wish GM had thrown us some love in the spare tire department.

#111 ·
^^^
Thanks for posting pics. How tall is the spare tire compared to the stockers?

#117 ·
I tried this past weekend to install a spare from a regular cts (2009) same tire size as above, the rear would fit with a spacer, the front would absolutely not fit unless the wheel was machined down just behind the spoke area (barrel area-would compromise the integrity of the wheel). This wheel pictured looks identical to the one I tried, does anyone know if the regulasr cts spare is different than the 18" summer performance wheel optioned cars are equipped with?

#115 · (Edited)
I'm off this week, so, I'll see if I can get the comparo GMX requests. The spare wheel is marked 18 X 4.07 X 40.

It looks like they machined the mounting area. I am a doctor and not a wheel expert, so I can't tell with 100% certainty what was done.

I haven't had a chance to try mounting it yet. I relied on M5driver's proof of concept.

Edit: I forgot to mention, there appears to be a spacer on the wheel as well. See the second picture.

#121 ·
At dealer now. I asked my service rep to measure out and test fit the spare for me. Seems to fit just fine. Looks like it works. Still would love an official spare tire solution from GM or at least their logic in not providing one.

#124 ·
This is the ULTIMATE LIFE SAVER, I am embarrassed to admit but I had to use my spare kit 3 times in the past year and just used it this morning for crying out loud. I was coming off the I78 in NJ and something fell off a truck and smashed under my car and then my TPMS light came on. I pulled off the first exit and in 15 minutes I made it to my appointment just with dirty hands. My sidewall got pierced on my PS2 and I had a local Goodyear shop replace it this afternoon. I think i ran over a rusted out exhaust pipe it scared the crap out of me.

#125 ·
OK, I ordered and received the Eurotek spare tire kit for my 2010 V2.

Questions: So the air compressor is removed and not stored in the trunk area? The kit I received won't fit in the trunk well without removing the compressor. This is probably an idiotic question, but somewhere in the thread I remember reading that one of the guys that bought this kit stored the compressor in the wheel well. Anyway, mine won't fit that way.

I did not receive the special bent threaded rod that ties it all together. I've emailed Eurotek.

How does the spacer work? If you need the spare, do you unbolt the stub bolts that hold the spacer to the spare tire wheel hub, and then simply put the spacer between the wheel that had the flat and the back of the Eurotek wheel? And then bolt it up? Is the spacer needed for both the front and rear wheels, since the Brembo calipers are different?

And I would guess that a second socket should be purchased to fit the stock nuts on the V2 wheels? And I also wonder if yet a 3rd socket is required for the lock nut on each wheel. All this to change a tire!

I did get caught in a blinding rainstorm last summer trying to fix a flat with the compressor. What a joke! Soaked to the skin, the rain was coming down sideways, and when you connect the compressor to the 12 VDC socket inside the car, guess what? You can't shut the door or window and the inside of the car gets soaked! Then I really screwed up and tried to use the sealant. What a mess. Turns out the POS PS2 tire had a hole in the back of the sidewall...and no compressor was gonna fix that.

Please advise. I drive 50k miles per year, and I need this spare!

Thanks,

Jack

#126 · (Edited)
I believe the poster you refer to who stored the compressor in the wheel well is Tuna who has a Wagon. I bought one for my Wagon and the compressor stores easily in the well.
I haven't had occasion to use the spare, knock on wood. I think the spacer bolts to the hub with the supplied lug nuts and the spare bolts to the spacer with with the car's lug nuts.
Be sure you have the correct socket wrenches to fit the two sets of lug nuts. I didn't use the supplied hold down rod. I put the spare in the well, subwoofer on top of the spare and used the rod that comes with Wagon.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/elphil_photo/IMG_0134.jpg

Two hard covers and a mat go over the spare compartment. The spacer and compressor are held in place with Valcro strips.

(revised based on RogersV's posting below)

#128 ·
One idea, especially for those with summer and winter wheel sets, is to deflate a tire so it will fit in the spare well and use the compressor to inflate it when needed for a flat. Measuring the diameter of the spare well in the Wagon it looks like a wheel/tire off the V is only one to two inches larger in diameter. I'm too lazy to actually try it myself.

#129 · (Edited)
Just got my kit from Eurotek a couple days ago and installed in the tire well, along with the original tire pump, etc. Fairly tight fit between the tire and the cover, but it still fits ok with the pump - cover still closes. Using the original straight rod in the car (my kit did not come with a bent rod). You need to place the pump under the left side. Attached is a picture of my installation.

Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire

#131 ·
Here is the info I received from Eurotek, (in red). The nuts that are on the adapter when you receive it are the ones that hold it to the hub. Then when the wheel is installed you use the nuts that came with the car to hold the wheel to the adapter. I did find the "socket" too tight for the supplied nuts and had to file it a little. To tighten the stock nuts you use the black collapsable lug wrench that comes in the kit.

we mount the adaptor to the wheel for shipping purposes and trunk storage.

If you need to install the spare you use the breaker bar and socket to undo the adaptor from the spare wheel and tire assembly. You then install the adaptor on the cars hub using the breaker bar and socket. Then you install the wheel over that and use the OEM lug nuts with the other wrench assembly. It’s a breeze.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Phil

Eurotek

#133 ·
I have been reading this forum quite often but this is the first time I thought a needed to reply. My wife just bought a new 2012 CTS-V. She also owned a 2009 CTS and when she bought it we purchased the Compact spare kit as an additional option. When she traded it in, we kept the spare tire kit. After reading all the discussions and looking at the Eurotek kit, I was trying to figure out what was different from my OEM kit and the one for $600.
Here is what I did today. I pulled the front wheel off the CTS-V, since this has the largest caliper and put three spacers (approx 1.2") on the wheel lug bolts. I then held up the compact spare like it was mounted. I spun the wheel and no rubbing occurred. I believe it will fit with a 1 1/2" spacer. Clearly it is tight on the inside of the front caliber but fits with enough clearance to handle an emergency situation. Adaptit USA makes a wheel spacer just like the one Eurotek sells. Its about $50. Model # 51205120. I plan to call them next week and order one with the right 14X150 lugs. Unless I am crazy, this will allow both the front and rear wheels enough clearance to use my current OEM spare. When you look at the Eurotek product that is what they did, provide a spacer. Not clear why they had to mill the wheel unless it is for clearance of the lug nut bolts that attach the spacer. If you order a 1 1/2 inch spacer it appears this will eliminate this problem.

Again, don't want to come off as an expert here, but maybe there is another cheaper alternative. Eurotek is a good one, but costly. When I emailed them to buy the spacer only, since I had everything else, they told me it was to expensive to build just the spacer and it would cost about $300. They did say that it was a little more complicated since they had to mill the wheel. Not clear why, based on my test fit this morning.

Well, if anyone out there has different info, please share.

In conclusion, I know that Cadillac personnel monitor this forum and they should. Clearly they need to provide a better alternative to CTS-V owners then inflatable compressors with sealant. Remember if you have to use the sealant, you ruin your valve stem monitor and that is costly to replace. I also have a 08 Z06 and it comes with Run Flat tires. I don't understand why the CTS-V doesn't.

#137 ·
I think the reason for no run-flats was a bumpy ride. Run flats ride harsh, even on my '04 AWD Toyota Sienna with the tall sidewalls. Anyways, people who want runflats, AND don't care whether they are running different tires front and back, (I don't because they are staggered fitment anyways, but won't need new tires anytime soon,) can use these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...9EGROFXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

for the front.
And there are several "99" sevice description runflats to choose from (I don't know if this link really works, tried on another tab but it seems generic.):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

for the rear.

#135 ·
Hear, hear! I say again, this movement toward loss of spares in new cars is ridiculous and unsafe!

With a spare tire, a flat is a 15-minute inconvenience. Without is an hour or two waiting on a tow truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.