Cadillac Owners Forum banner

are V motors hand built?

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  LITTLEELVISDAN 
#1 ·
I've seen video's of the ZR1 motors being built. I ASSume the CTS-V motor is NOT hand built. Not like it really matters, I was just thinking outloud.
Ross

#3 ·
This is one of the few bones of contention I have about our car.

Corvettes and some of the other V-series (IIRC) have hand-built engines signed by their maker.

Unfortunately, our engines are built en masse at the Chevrolet factory in Silao, Mexico, then shipped to Lansing for final assembly in the cars. I posted on this long ago and I'll find the link soon. We get no signature. For the price paid, I won't complain too much as some corners had to be cut in order to undercut the M5s and E55s of the world.

#4 ·
This is one of the few bones of contention I have about our car.

Corvettes and some of the other V-series (IIRC) have hand-built engines signed by their maker.
Why? The LSA is a perfectly wonderful mill just the way it is. The hand-building wouldn't improve it in any way, other than to possibly make them all closer to being identical to one another.

The only Corvettes that get hand-built motors out of Wixom are the Z06 and ZR1. The Vs in question are the STS-V and XLR-Vs, both of which are dead as a doornail.

Another question to ask is: does Wixom even have the capacity to hand-build the LSAs, along with the rest of the engines they're building? My suspicion is they don't, but I might be wrong.

jas

#5 ·
yea, watching the video of the ZR1 motor being *built* by hand wasn't too impressive. A person handles and installs the components but it doesn't look like too much *skill* is involved. Everything was torqued using automated tools. ie push a button and wait for a green light on the wrench to light up.:bonkers: Maybe thats a good thing!?
Ross

#11 ·
Hand built would scare me lately... Wasnt it the stsv, where the guy that built mine forgot to do the final pass on the rod bolts??? At least a machine is always the same.....

#14 ·
I wonder how many facilities moved to canada before and during the bankrupcy stuff was going on? It was probably smart that they did it all out of country.. They cant take stuff from out of country.. Dies, presses, plastic forms, ect.. All had to go somewhere...

#15 ·
I would rather GM save me the money and have a more reliably built engine. I would take robotics or automation or human assembly any day! The problem with having an engine hand built is you don't know if the person that built it was good or not. Give me the Mexico automation built LSA and the MSRP savings to go with it!

SG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.