Cadillac Owners Forum banner
28K views 91 replies 41 participants last post by  mrkool 
#1 ·
I live in Ontario where front plates are mandatory. Has anyone seen an
alternate method of mounting the front plate?

#3 ·
In Ohio, the front plate is also mandatory. However, on this car, I am choosing to go plateless and I'll deal with the ticket if it comes. No one I know in this area has been ticketed for going front plate-less.

Even so, I am likely to ask one of my local dealers about the front plate mounting hardware....just in case....

#32 ·
I'm going plateless also.... If I get stopped I'm going to try the dumb blonde thing:bouncy: I will put the plate and bracket in my trunk and tell the nice officer I have it in there and was going to see if the dealer could install it for me when I brought it for an oil change next week.

Then if I still get a fix it ticket. I will figure out a way to install it even if it's with zip-ties to get the ticket signed off. Then drive back home and cut it off ;)

#8 ·
Been lurking for a while and thought I'd jump in here. Swift Motorsports sells a hideaway front plate that mounts under the front bumper. Since this is my first post I cannot post a link. Just Google the name above. I have no affiliation, I just think it's a cool product.

G
#10 ·
That looks awesome!! I like the motorized one since you could do it after you were pulled over... make the cop think they were crazy. I have wanted something like this for a long time, but just never tried to build one. Here in OH, the front plate law is a problem. I have never run one, and never been bothered until the last three years. I managed to get 2 front plate tickets exactly a year apart in the same spot at Christmas time. Luckily, it wasn't the same cop, however they had me in the system as a repeat offender for that. I didn't know they could flag people that way. Sorry - I got off subject a bit.

#12 ·
its horrible now in California!! with a state that needs money you cant drive two city blocks for them pulling you over for no front plate, or tinted windows! in Redondo beach they are even waiting for you to leave a bar and pulling you over on your BICYCLE, and giving breathalyzer to take you in..

#15 ·
Maybe it depends on the area. I've seen a lot of police check out my car while in traffic. It's loud, really loud, so I'm sure they notice it.

My car came with the bracket on the bumper. I couldn't live with it and had a bodyshop fill and repaint the bumper. The ticket is $110... Seriously, how many times can they ticket me in a year?

If you're going to put the plate on the bumper you might as well just drill the holes into the bumper and use the factory bracket. Because honestly, when are you ever going to take it off? It's not like you'll ever see the holes/rivets if you've decided to put the plate on.

#20 ·
Yeah, the license plate problem is very real here in the NY too. I've gotten a few of them now....when they used to be only 50 with a 25 surcharge.....now, they're 90 plus surcharge. I've passed several officers today with no problem, and got eyed-up by one of them, but didn't come out after me. The holes in the bumper are no big deal to me, but I am definitely thinking of the flip-up one mentioned on here, as well as the motorized one. 2 tickets would make it worth purchasing the motorized one.

#21 ·
I live in Chicago, I never put front plates on, I even have special plates for legalized tints. Crazy thing is I still get pulled over since most of these police dont know what my plate means, Than the hassle me for no front plate. So I finally broke down and put it on, Looks terrible with it on and I try not to think about it.

#27 ·
It would be interesting to see one on the V2... I am also in Ontario and I gave in and had the front plate put on. So even if I remove it now I'll have to plug the holes with something... hmm maybe front parking sensors in the holes that would already be there.

Seriously though, whats the point of the front plate... its not like the cops will actually be able to get ahead of you ;)

#29 ·
Front plates useful for photo-radar, speed traps, toll roads, and if you hit a pedestrian so hard that it leaves an imprint. J/K on #4 of course.

I would be very surprised if you took a vote, that the general population agrees with paying more money for these "benefits". Just more proof our elected officials seldom care about the average Joe.

Although it does make me wonder how many gallons of fuel are wasted every year by putting a flat board on the front of cars that spent hundreds of hours in wind-tunnels to avoid wasting fuel in that manner.

#36 ·
I installed the mechanical flip one. I used my own method so there was no drilling. I bought 2 lengths of galvanized
metal strapping from the hardware store and made my own mounting brackets that uses exisiting bolts under the
front end. I'll try and post some photos this weekend.

Bottom line, it can be done with the Swiftmotorsports bracket with no drilling. Installation is easy. Just some
ramps to get the front end safely up in the air.

#41 ·
Not sure about the clearance. I really did not want to have to
breach the fire wall and run wires for something that I would not
be moving that often. Hmm.....maybe I could put a remote switch
and tie it to the homelink buttons! Oh if I only had more hours in the day....

#38 ·
Here are some photos,

Hard to see the bracket I made without getting it back in the air, but you
can get the idea. I can help anyone who really wants to know. Just
PM me and I can call you.

Brian.

With plate hidden

With plate up

With plate 1/2 way up

And 2 showing the type of bracket I made

#39 ·
I didn't like the idea of making holes in my new V's bumper for the front Ontario plate but liked the idea of getting ticketed even less. Went to the Dealer to install the unsightly bracket and when I voiced my dislike in doing so, the bodyshop guy came to have a look at what could be done.

He suggested that I install the plate (without the bracket) on the lower grill opening, using plastic tie-wraps. The 4 tie-wraps simply fasten onto the mesh work of the grill. We bent the plate slightly in the middle, to fit the contour of the grill and applied two strips of foam to the back side of the plate to prevent chafing of the plate against the grill work.

Now, if I ever want to remove the plate, all I have to do is snip the 4 tie-wraps and off it comes. Re-installing it would simply require 4 new tie-wraps.

I'm told that many guys who do the car show circuit and drive their cars to and from the shows do this all the time. On for the road, off for the show. And no Tickets!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.