Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  jvp 
#1 ·
...but no V for me.

I've had feelers out for a decent deal on the new V, both with dealers around me (northern VA) and dealers elsewhere. My deal is pretty stiff: Supplier discount on the V (which I qualify for) and fair trade-in value on my 2007 Corvette Z06. I figured I'd have a rough time finding the right dealer, and so far, I've been right on the money.

Lindsay Cadillac, which folks here are familiar with for running the events at Summit Point Raceway. They contacted me last week and said, "Yes, we'll honor GM Supplier on the V. No sweat. And, we have a buyer for your Z06, so we'll offer you $52K for it!" Edmunds, NADA, and KBB all say the car is worth about $54 in trade-in, so I figured that was damn close enough.

This amount was repeated to me over the phone several times by two different Lindsay employees. I figured I could give them the Z06 now and use it as a large deposit on a new V for whenever they could order it (Recaros and manual transmission are required, not optional. I'll wait). They agreed to that over the phone, and even started the ordering process on the new car for me, before I could even get to the showroom.

Keep in mind, the showroom is about 30 minutes of hellacious highway driving from me. I dislike Alexandria, VA, with a passion. I try to stay as far from the cities (Alexandria, WashDC, Arlington, et al) as I can. But, I made an exception for this one. I promised the person over the phone that as soon as I got back from my Thanksgiving trip this morning (Saturday) I'd bring the car down to them. And I did.

Now, apparently the two employees (who will remain nameless) hadn't chatted with the GM about this deal. At least, that's the story the GM gave me. He seemed very apologetic and upset, but I wasn't exactly buying it. Needless to say, the figure they quoted me over the phone was pulled out of their rear ends, and the exact figure was nowhere near it. The GM promised me he'd keep looking for me, but I'm not holding my breath. So I grabbed the car's keys and title, and drove back home.

Unfortunate. They seemed like a fairly upstanding dealer from what I've seen from them. But that experience just left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Ah well. So close. But all is right with the world. I still have my Corvette.

jas

See less See more
#2 ·
Aw, what a bummer. :( I know that Lindsay service/parts are the BEST, but I've no experience with their sales department. (And if I had to "settle" for keeping a 'Vette...I think I'd be ok!!! :D)

#3 ·
Jason,

Having gone through this just recently I can tell you that the NADA and KBB values are not representative of what's been going on at the actual auctions. At some point they will get back in line. Also, typically the Corvette market goes into dormancy from October until about March.

This does not dismiss the dealer's unscroupolous antics.

Good luck, something will pop up for you.

Mike

#4 ·
At some point they will get back in line. Also, typically the Corvette market goes into dormancy from October until about March.
Yep, I expect things to pick back up in the spring. It's definitely a bad time to be selling a sports car, though there ARE places where it's sunny and beautiful all year 'round...

This does not dismiss the dealer's unscrupulous antics.
Right. After having dealt with them at Summit Point back in May when GM bought some of the pre-prod Vs for us to see, I was reasonably impressed with how they ran things. I've also heard very good things about them from others (both on forum and off). Needless to say, my experience left a bit to be desired.

Good luck, something will pop up for you.
Thanks buddy. Enjoy your new toy. And, I'm still interested in helmet clearances with the sunroof.

jas

#7 ·
I don't have any experience with Lindsay's Sales staff either, but Luke (parts) and James (service) are the model for a perfect Dealership.

I knew where this story was headed as soon as I saw $52k for an 07 Z. We looked at a 2008 Z with the 3LT package and 800 miles yesterday, and they're bringing between $51k and $53k at the Florida auctions with anywhere from 500 to 2,000 miles on them.

They probably offered you around $45-48k the second time, right?

#10 ·
I know it's not what KBB says, but it's a pretty fair call based on what they're bringing wholesale right now. Unfortunately, cars like the 'Vette are only selling to the real enthusiasts right now in light of all the talk of the economy, gas, being green, blah blah blah. We used to always keep a Corvette on the lot for the "impulse" buyers, but there's not a lot of those around right now, and the market is reflecting that in how much (or little) they're bringing at the block.

There's always a chance you can get more on eBay or Autotrader, but keep in mind that you'll lose about $2,800 in tax savings by not trading the car. Add 6% sales tax to the trade offer, and that's what you're really getting by trading.

#11 ·
There's always a chance you can get more on eBay or Autotrader
Yep, I know that option is open to me, but I'm not really interested in pursuing a private sale at the moment. It's too much of a pain in the ass.

In the end, it's OK. I'll have to do some work on my car to soften the dampers up a bit when I'm not tearing up Summit Point Raceway. There are some other luxury items the V offers that my car just can't ever have. But, I'll live with it.

jas

#12 ·
Market for fun cars is awful. I won't even go into what my dealer is allowing me on my 06 M5.

My 06 Viper which had a $92k list is worth about $56k. I have had a bunch of Vettes and had dealer friends offer me brand new Z06s (which a year or so ago were way over sticker) for high $50s and new coupes as low as $39K.

#16 ·
I stopped into the dealer where I bought my V to see when they were expecting their first arrival. Turns out the 1st arrival actually has my name on it. Seems I ordered a black on black manual with all options except the suede steering wheel. Since my name is on it at least I get to be the 1st to give it a whirl when it arrives before I decide to not accept the car. The sales manager says the car has been built but is on hold with QC and she is expecting the car to be shipped prior to the Dec plant shutdowns, so looks like about 3 weeks or so in her opinion. They are waiting on 5 to arrive and 4 are manuals, 3 black, 1 red and 1 blue.

I cant wait to get my hands on one and see how my Maggie compares.

#18 ·
Hang in there jvp. Time is on your side. Heck, the first V's built are still on delivery trucks. Plus, hey, there's cool car in your garage while waiting.:cool2:

You should see what I've been dealt here in Cleveland, I just left a dealer an hour ago that promised us a 09 cts4 for 4 years lease at 370.00/mo.:lies: Now I figured that was almost too good to be true but took the bait for fun expecting 400-450. It turns out the best was 550.00 after we sat down. I walked, darn I would love to have put the wife in a white diamond cts "fur coat". My nad's still hurt from that kick... By the way, I won't mention the dealer's full name, but ironically it begins with Spit___...

It's true what they say about the Lindsay Service and Parts here, they're worth it. Give them another shot after the new V's get a chance to age.

#19 ·
It's true what they say about the Lindsay Service and Parts here, they're worth it. Give them another shot after the new V's get a chance to age.
Nah. The longer I wait, the more worthless my Z06 will become as far as trade-in values are concerned. Though it may pick up a tiny bit in the spring, I don't expect it to pick up enough where I can justify and afford the difference in money for the V.

It was a fun little day-dream. Now back to reality. :)

jas

#21 ·
Which package does your Z have? How decent are the tires? Which color? All those things come into play too when talking values. A silver, base model 1LZ with 20,000 miles and bald tires will command a lot less than say a black, with 5,000 miles, and new rubber. etc. Just saying.

I have an 07 Z too with 2LZ package and was offered $50k trade in right off the bat in writing. Probably could have gotten a little more, but the car is mint.

#23 ·
Which package does your Z have? How decent are the tires? Which color? All those things come into play too when talking values. A silver, base model 1LZ with 20,000 miles and bald tires will command a lot less than say a black, with 5,000 miles, and new rubber.
In this particular case, it had nothing to do with the condition of the car. Moreso that they didn't actually have a buyer, like they originally led me to believe. The GM just wasn't ready to purchase my car for the agreed (over the phone) upon price. It wouldn't have mattered if it was brand new or beaten to hell.

But since you asked: Velocity Yellow w/Black interior, 2LZ, nav, chrome wheels, OnStar (optional in '07). The car has 15000 miles on it, and I just put new tires on it last week. Heck, the paint stripe is still on them. :)

jas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.