Cadillac Owners Forum banner

I hate brake dust !!!

4K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  ClarkkentCTSV 
#1 ·
This may have been answered in an older posts, but what are some suggestions on brake dust on the V's. I have 2012 CTS V with the chrome polish rims less than 1000 miles. I know it's new not a lot of miles I'm hoping this will calm down a little bit as I drive it. What's the best product out there for cleaning the rims and possibly helping this condition. Thanks

#2 ·
It doesn't calm down, I have 16,000 miles on my '12, and there is just as much dust as always. I don't drive it hard and still have my original PS2's with about 6-7000 miles left in them. I just have a special mitt I keep just for the wheels and use only soap and water on mine, but they are the painted rims. It is a huge pain in the butt, but I have found it just takes a little elbow grease to keep them clean.

#3 ·
Option 1:Armor All Wheel Protectant WORKS AWESOME. Zero brake dust for 4 weeks. Follow directions, clean rims, allow to FULLY dry. Apply AAWP and let FULLY dry. Don't wash rims (they can get wet) for up to 4 weeks. You wont believe the difference.

Option 2. Get ceramic brake pads (reduced performance and faster rotor wear).

#5 ·
I put ceramic brake pads on my other car and it almost completely eliminated all brake dust. Once the
current pads I have on wear down I'm replacing with Hawk ceramic brake pads. I wash my wheels twice a
week just to keep them looking clean. Going to try the armor all wheel protectant Larry Arizona suggested.

#7 ·
I started using the Armor All Wheel Protectant and it is amazing. I think it might have been one of larry's posts that I saw and I tried it. I even took the wheels off to do the insides. I actually get little balls of brake dust on the lip but just use my compressor and air gun to clean them.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Currently I'm using mothers mag & aluminum polish it's great for shine ,cleans these wheels up very good . however, seems to almost draw in the brake dust to the rim and make it stick. I will also give the armor all wheel protectant a try seems the majority here agrees. These calipers are awesome for stopping power but you're right there's a lot of pad there. Thanks again

#10 ·
About 3 weeks into an application of the AAWP road dust (not brake dust) accumulates in the rearward corner of the outer spokes...... I just rinse with the hose when I wash the car (but DON'T touch the rim with your hands/fingers, or a wash tool). As soon as you touch the rim the AAWP comes off and 10 miles later you will have a brake dust streak on your rim.

AAWP can handle water rinse and will dry virtually spot free. But touch them in anyway, you will need to fully clean and reapply. One $7 can will do about 8 V rims and get you 2 months of protection. Way worth it!!!!!!!

#11 ·
About 3 weeks into an application of the AAWP road dust (not brake dust) accumulates in the rearward corner of the outer spokes...... I just rinse with the hose when I wash the car (but DON'T touch the rim with your hands/fingers, or a wash tool). As soon as you touch the rim the AAWP comes off and 10 miles later you will have a brake dust streak on your rim.

AAWP can handle water rinse and will dry virtually spot free. But touch them in anyway, you will need to fully clean and reapply. One $7 can will do about 8 V rims and get you 2 months of protection. Way worth it!!!!!!!:kick: KICKS ASS!

#16 ·
201Vwagon said:
I started using the Armor All Wheel Protectant and it is amazing. I think it might have been one of larry's posts that I saw and I tried it. I even took the wheels off to do the insides. I actually get little balls of brake dust on the lip but just use my compressor and air gun to clean them.
+1

Armor All wheel protectant! Awesome results! 4-5 washes, 30 days+' ZERO dust.

#23 ·
Thanks to all recommended the Armor All Wheel Protectant. Wow what a nice product, wash the car last night and let the wheels dry. I was able to get the wheels perfectly clean even on the inside around the rotor with a slim sponge microfiber from the local parts store. Then sprayed the AAWP on the rims and calipers, let dry overnight. They looked a little hazy in the morning I took another micro fiber towel and just lightly took the haze off the rims not touching them with anything else. Drove the car today about 40 miles, the wheels look just like when I left my house perfectly clean. There were a few little dust balls around the corners that just blew off , with a very light wisp of the Towel. Even the insides of the rims look great. I don't normally get over excited about a product, however this S ..T works fantastic. It's rare that you buy a product like this that claims will do what it says, this one really does work. Thanks again I'm glad I found this forum it really helps out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.