stage one pulley upgrade question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, stage one pulley upgrade question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So my local shop is telling me I have to upgrade my injectors to ID850's in order to run a ...
    hank213 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

stage one pulley upgrade question

So my local shop is telling me I have to upgrade my injectors to ID850's in order to run a stage one pulley upgrade, does this sound correct to everyone? they said the stock injectors are already maxed out.

Also if I have doing an off road X pipe and electric cut outs, would headers really make that big of a difference.... well a $2,000 difference in sound/performance?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Get ready for the spilt vote posts on the injector one. (Grabs bottle of scotch and lights up a stogie). Here they come. Seriously though, tons of old posts on this.

Re: stage one pulley upgrade question

was trying to get a quick response since I don't have time to go back and look. Just said whatever and ordered everything

pillaplease is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan
    I mean you'll eventually need new injectors so if money doesn't matter, then just do it now. Headers will really matter for power down the road when you're eeking out a few more horsepower. Again... If you plan to continue modding, might as well put them on. Won't hurt anything.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    The lower you can task a duty cycle and get the optimal fuel delivery is of course best but since you got them might as well put them in. The only reason I mentioned it was because this topic got crazy traffic not too long ago. I'll see what I can find for you.

Thanks

Kools is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yeah, it's all about duty cycle.
    Could the OEM injectors work? Sure. But they'd be running at close to max duty and the last thing you want is to have pump failure due to overload.
    Injectors really aren't that expensive and are a good idea. Good insurance, and now you'll know they're good for the power/increase in performance.

Black Moon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Kools View Post
    Yeah, it's all about duty cycle.
    Could the OEM injectors work? Sure. But they'd be running at close to max duty and the last thing you want is to have pump failure due to overload.
    Injectors really aren't that expensive and are a good idea. Good insurance, and now you'll know they're good for the power/increase in performance.
    Worse yet an injector lock up at 6,000 rpm. Can you say BOOM really loud?

Kools is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Black Moon View Post
    Worse yet an injector lock up at 6,000 rpm. Can you say BOOM really loud?
    exactly. Now you're out $15,000+ instead of maybe $800

citori01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

What is a stage one pulley upgrade? Is it both pulleys like 2.55 upper and 9.1 lower or something to the like?

newcadman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Upgrading the injectors to 850's will lower your injector duty cycle from being in the 90+ % range down to right around the 60 % range ( at least it did for me when I made the same changes you are mentioning ). The other plus for me was gaining peace of mind knowing that I didn't have to worry about maxing out the stock injector.

FWIW, make sure you get a tuner who can tune the 850 injectors so they can idle just like the stock injector. Not all tuners seem to have that ability I found out. Ended up having Jeremy Formato tuning my 850s and he did a terrific job. Highly recommend him.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

I ran into the same issue, with just an intake and the upper pulley my injector duty cycle was hitting over 100% so I got 900cc injectors. Better safe than sorry. Also FWIW I got the new gen Stainless Works headers and x-pipes down to stock mufflers recently (2" primaries to 3" pipes, as opposed to 1 7/8" primaries), and they added 40 RWHP and TQ peak and a lot of power and torque under the curve. And the sound is ridiculously good. I chose to have performance cats and keep the stock mufflers because this is my daily driver, so my car is quiet at idle and cruising, with just a bit of low rumble, absolutely zero drone - but when you get on it, all hell breaks loose, children weep in fear, glass shatters in storefront windows, etc. etc. Armageddon, basically.

For me personally, this is exactly the kind of dual personality I wanted, so it's not annoyingly loud all the time, but is deafening and very, very angry when you want it to be. In terms of making power, I believe the headers make the most difference as opposed to just the x pipe or the mufflers.

Umrswimr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    I ran into the same issue, with just an intake and the upper pulley my injector duty cycle was hitting over 100% so I got 900cc injectors. Better safe than sorry. Also FWIW I got the new gen Stainless Works headers and x-pipes down to stock mufflers recently (2" primaries to 3" pipes, as opposed to 1 7/8" primaries), and they added 40 RWHP and TQ peak and a lot of power and torque under the curve. And the sound is ridiculously good. I chose to have performance cats and keep the stock mufflers because this is my daily driver, so my car is quiet at idle and cruising, with just a bit of low rumble, absolutely zero drone - but when you get on it, all hell breaks loose, children weep in fear, glass shatters in storefront windows, etc. etc. Armageddon, basically.

For me personally, this is exactly the kind of dual personality I wanted, so it's not annoyingly loud all the time, but is deafening and very, very angry when you want it to be. In terms of making power, I believe the headers make the most difference as opposed to just the x pipe or the mufflers.
    I've been back and forth on the headers a lot- I really need to go for a ride with somebody who has a setup just like yours. I want more sound under WOT, but it's my DD so I'm not willing to accept drone. My C5 with LG Pro headers, X pipe, and Borla exhaust is loud as f**k and drones like mad. But I don't care on that car.

How much power did you make with the pulley, CAI, and headers?

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

630 at the wheels, with the aforementioned 900cc injectors and a tune from Shawn Church. So if you listen, the first few seconds of the video the car is idling and you can hear the throttle tip in, and then you can hear the difference when it goes to full throttle. So the noise level for those first few seconds is how it is all the time, cruising at freeway speeds or around town, and then it shatters eardrums at full throttle, haha.

vfaninva is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    ^^Sounds terrific!
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.