Exhaust too Loud and Backfires after upgrades Need Advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Exhaust too Loud and Backfires after upgrades Need Advice in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; 2013 CTSV Sedan Upgrades: Lingenfelter 700 with Heads and GT-9 Cams Ported Blower, Throttle Body & Snout Dyno Speed Racing ...
    tlowry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V

Exhaust too Loud and Backfires after upgrades Need Advice

2013 CTSV Sedan Upgrades:
    Lingenfelter 700 with Heads and GT-9 Cams
    Ported Blower, Throttle Body & Snout
    Dyno Speed Racing CAI, Norcal Box, Removed Cats

I recently had the 700 upgrade installed on my car, I ended up having to go to a couple different tuners due to some issues. The second tuner has a shop where he ports blowers, I was interested but let him know I enjoyed my car and the sleeper sound as I still have factory exhaust. When I heard the significant gains I would receive with the ported blower I wanted to proceed, he said I should do a cat delete as well. After being assured their would not be a significant increase in sound I moved forward. I also switched from K&N to Dyno Speed CAI at this time. When I went to get my car it sounded louder than a nascar, I mean insane, I couldn't have been more disappointed. As I live an hour and a half away from where I had the work done and needed my car and it was a Friday, I left. On Monday I went to a local muffler shop, he installed 2 bullet style resonators and we removed the stock flattened out 2" and replaced with all round, this made a huge difference, but its still a little crazy for me, any time I'm in manual and back of just a little its backfiring as well. I've attached a YouTube link which shows what it sounds like now. Any advice on how I could tone it down? Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx5o...ature=youtu.be

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    When I started reading your post I thought here's another guy who buys a muscle car and wants it to sound like a Prius.
    After watching the video all I can say is wow that sounds absolutely awful!
    Whoever that second shop is really boned it up!
    I would locate a reputable shop and scrap that whole exhaust set up!

CJCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Exhaust too Loud and Backfires after upgrades Need Advice

The pops and burbles are normal, especially after removing your cat's. It's not a back fire, it's the unburnt fuel burning off in your exhaust. BIG difference. Considering that you have heads, cam and a ported blower in addition to that... it sounds perfectly normal.

Look up Jeremy Formato (He's in Florida) and go get your sh!t fixed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by CJCTSV View Post
    The pops and burbles are normal, especially after removing your cat's. It's not a back fire, it's the unburnt fuel burning off in your exhaust. BIG difference. Considering that you have heads, cam and a ported blower in addition to that... it sounds perfectly normal.

Look up Jeremy Formato (He's in Florida) and go get your sh!t fixed properly.
    Jeremy is my Tuner that did the work

Da V-Man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Install some hi-flow cats. Then you will be happy.

Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I agree with Da V Man. Install some 100 cell CATs and you will be happy. I have almost the same setup and did the same thing you did. I also didn't like the sound. I researched CATs and happily decided on the 100 Cell ones. They give you all the flow but no popping or burbling you describe.

The cam in the car sounds better also. Spend just a few bucks more and get the CATS to get the deep nasty sound without the annoyances, you wont be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparman4444 View Post
    I agree with Da V Man. Install some 100 cell CATs and you will be happy. I have almost the same setup and did the same thing you did. I also didn't like the sound. I researched CATs and happily decided on the 100 Cell ones. They give you all the flow but no popping or burbling you describe.

The cam in the car sounds better also. Spend just a few bucks more and get the CATS to get the deep nasty sound without the annoyances, you wont be disappointed.
    What Brand High Flow Cats did you put in, do you have a model number?

Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I got some MBS 100 cell cats from ebay for @ $120. Now they have 50 cell CATs which I would have gotten instead if available at the time.

The honeycomb design really eliminates the unwanted noise but give you the mellow sound you want. I was very happy with these and they are a very solid design.

Slizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 RSM CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Da V-Man View Post
    Install some hi-flow cats. Then you will be happy.
    He could also have Decel Fuel Cut Off tuned out to eliminate the pops and cracks when letting off the accelerator. Will consume a little more fuel this way though.

Thanks for the advice guys, I installed 200 cell High Flow Cats from MBS Exhaust, there were very compact and fit nicely. I have a Cadillac again, and its a sleeper. It sounds great.

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

For the popping, just modify the deceleration fuel cut off perameters in the tune. It is an easy fix.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.