ZL1 supercharger lid - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, ZL1 supercharger lid in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; The ZL1 brick is more airflow efficient, resulting in a smaller pressure drop across it. This translates into almost one ...
    Da V-Man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: ZL1 supercharger lid

The ZL1 brick is more airflow efficient, resulting in a smaller pressure drop across it. This translates into almost one pound more boost in the plenum, which will result in close to 20 HP increase.

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

From Tony Roma, ZL1's Program Engineering Manager:

Much of the ZL1's power increase over the CTS-V's 556 hp comes courtesy of efficiency gains found in the LSA's air-to-liquid intercooler.
    "Compared to the CTS-V, the intercooler brick had to be pushed forward in the ZL1," Roma explains. "And because we ended up redoing the whole thing, we decided to optimize it."

The team analyzed the tube-and-fin cooler's water flow rate on both sides, the water flow rate through the tubes, and the airflow rate at the other side. The brick's dimensions and its fin pitch were optimized for pressure drop on the air side, as well as on the water circuit. And the pump and heat exchanger sizes were adjusted--the former thanks to Chevy's "hot rod" Volt.

"The ZL1's intercooler is incredibly efficient, and it keeps the intake air temps in the range where the engine keeps making great power," Roma says proudly.

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

Could you give us a little more detain there Luna

Thanks for the DETAILED explanation.

stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Luna. View Post
    From Tony Roma, ZL1's Program Engineering Manager:

Much of the ZL1's power increase over the CTS-V's 556 hp comes courtesy of efficiency gains found in the LSA's air-to-liquid intercooler.
    "Compared to the CTS-V, the intercooler brick had to be pushed forward in the ZL1," Roma explains. "And because we ended up redoing the whole thing, we decided to optimize it."

The team analyzed the tube-and-fin cooler's water flow rate on both sides, the water flow rate through the tubes, and the airflow rate at the other side. The brick's dimensions and its fin pitch were optimized for pressure drop on the air side, as well as on the water circuit. And the pump and heat exchanger sizes were adjusted--the former thanks to Chevy's "hot rod" Volt.

"The ZL1's intercooler is incredibly efficient, and it keeps the intake air temps in the range where the engine keeps making great power," Roma says proudly.
    so based on this explanation, we are not changing the intercooler brick, just the lid. So how do we see the same gains on our cars vs the LSA in the camero?

Da V-Man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto View Post
    so based on this explanation, we are not changing the intercooler brick, just the lid. So how do we see the same gains on our cars vs the LSA in the camero?
    The IC brick is included as part of the ZL1 lid assembly.

Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Now that makes sense to me. Is the ZL1 a direct replacement or does it involve a bunch of Mickey Mouse tweaks to get it to work besides grinding the front edge which is no big deal. In other words, what about changing intercooler lines, rerouting lines, fabricating brackets and the like.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

I'm still not sure about the Camaro's numbers. Either theirs are high, or ours are low. I can't find any consistent tests where they repeatedly beat our trap speed in the 1/4.

PetroCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V Sedan

Tune Time drilled and tapped the lid for AN fittings, plumbed to a Norcal Tank.

Here is a pic of the Lid with the ZL1 engine cover on my V painted to match Crystal Red. The cover does touch the lining under the hood. I'm planning on a WeaponX hood in the near future.

Club Malibu likes this.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Man, that looks sooooo much nicer, too.

^
    Thank you.

I want to paint the brace the same color as the cover too.

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

PetroCTS-V, your engine bay makes mine look like the anti-christ. Raw would be an understatement as I have all covers ripped off. Looks more like a track car. Yours looks beautiful! Must have taken lots of time.

iVwishing is offline Cadillac Owners Member

In in for a ZL1 lid when available. Thanks Luke!

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser68 View Post
    PetroCTS-V, your engine bay makes mine look like the anti-christ. Raw would be an understatement as I have all covers ripped off. Looks more like a track car. Yours looks beautiful! Must have taken lots of time.
    Thank you.

I track my car on occasion. Mainly 1/4 mile but I'm always in the engine compartment looking it over. I'm kind of neurotic that way. lol

It's easy to keep clean if you stay on it.

1Sensei is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTSV COUPE

Anyone did a comparison of the lids at the track? What is the real world gain just with adding the lid at the track not dyno? I would like to see that number.

Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

if your already making over 600whp, you probably won't feel a 20hp improvement but you could see it in track times. If nothing else, it should improve the engines efficiency. Im going to all water/meth injection this spring.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.