V2 tuning question for autos
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, V2 tuning question for autos in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Does tuning typically include tuning the transmission as well? I've read about improved factory shifting algorithms in the '12 and ...
    HoleintheheaD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None yet

V2 tuning question for autos

Does tuning typically include tuning the transmission as well? I've read about improved factory shifting algorithms in the '12 and newer models but if I buy an older model and have it tuned does that make factory settings irrelevant?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Gary Wells is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

Re: V2 tuning question for autos

Generally included.

V locity is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, 730 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst

Yes, a tuned tranny regardless of the year, should outperform factory settings

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

The TCM operating systems have evolved over the years. Sure, you can make the older trannies shift faster/firmer, but some features, such as pre-staged shifts, aren't "retrofitable" because they simply can't be flashed in and you can't just swap in the newer TCMs because it would cause a module inventory mismatch. Perhaps an EFI Live wizard could write a new OS for the older trannies, but at what cost/benefit..?

Are you talking about 90e's?

Wow, yep I do remember that thread, LOL. I guess I'm still just a student on this trans... Does the programming on the 2012s+ change the variables for the oncoming pressures and volumes? What exactly is the differences in the tune?

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

I just finished adding in the 2014 trans stuff for the software, It is available via support@efilive if you ask until the next release is made.

As for the variables you are asking about. After we set up tunes on a 2009 vs a 2014 transmission, the FEEL, Shift execution speed, and pressures are no better than another year. This is after tuning of course. If you had 2 cars that where exactly the same colors, both black, one a 2009 and one a 2012 and you didn't know what car was what, and you drove them full throttle thru the gears, after tuning would feel the same.

V, perhaps they're fine tuned, but it's my understanding there are many internal control processes and algorithms that the tuning apps simply don't have access to (in the "underlying OS"). Many variables the tuner apps do have access to just give a target for the trans to try to hit, based on its internal algorithms and hydro mechanical abilities...

Quote Originally Posted by V locity
    Wow, yep I do remember that thread, LOL. I guess I'm still just a student on this trans... Does the programming on the 2012s+ change the variables for the oncoming pressures and volumes? What exactly is the differences in the tune?

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Gmx322v,

I have mapped out and watched the changes in the code for my own personal stuff, but, it is VERY insignificant and will cause tuning nightmares if I released it to public as it just doesn't make a "worth while" change that is amazing.

Example, if I just changed over that section of code, and left the 2009 calibration segment alone except fill in the values for the new tables to match the 2012 that didn't exist and now do, with those values, the difference would be un noticeable. All it is doing is filling behind the piston on the next shift, on an UPSHIFT ONLY. So if you downshift, there is no change. Upshift, we are talking .04 or LESS of a shift execution. Who the heck is going to notice .04... .1 or .4 we would notice.

As we do notice a change on "Tuned" transmissions because we ARE CHANGING SHIFT SPEEDS. If stock is .5 "half a second" and we move it to .2 we are going to see and feel an improvement.

But if I take and only change my shift times to say .54 you would never notice I just slowed it down. .04 is 4 hundredths of a second..

----------

However, they did succeed in a marketing thing to sell more new cars..

----------

Also it is possible to run the base code over on the 2010 up, but you have to change the communication section and the gear selector section, and a few other things to make it work and talk correctly again.

It is expecting stuff on the 2012 that it don't get on the 2011 down. I have done the swap a few times, but again, It is not worth the time/hassle, or gains...

"However, they did succeed in a marketing thing to sell more new cars.."

LOL, thanks for the insight Jesse.

Sending you a PM...

rjh
    rjh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 ctsv coupe

Assuming a mild mod of 560rwhp on a DD, will changing the shift time to .2 adversely impact the transmission over a 50,000 mile life span?
    Thanks for any input provided.

Done correctly, it should extend the life. The extra 100 ponies, that's a different story

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.