Square Track Tire set-up with springs?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Square Track Tire set-up with springs? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So I did the Eibach spring deal about a year ago and absolutely love it. Now I'm planning for some ...
    Teutonaddict is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 6MN Vagon OBM

Square Track Tire set-up with springs?

So I did the Eibach spring deal about a year ago and absolutely love it.

Now I'm planning for some road course excursions and am contemplating a dedicated track wheel/tire combo to optimize performance/wear and save my expensive PSS street rubber.

Do any of you run a square track set-up (I'm considering 275/40-R18 NT01's or R888's all around on the 18x9.5/40 TSW Nurburgring or Interlagos wheels) with lowering springs? Any issues of rubbing up front? Performance impressions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

flyingv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V 6MT
    I run the interlagos 18x9.5 with 275/40/18 NT01's on D3 comp springs, no rubbing or clearance issues. Great set up, plus you can rotate the tires to make them last. Just ran my 10th track day of the year last Saturday.

Re: Square Track Tire set-up with springs?

Very helpful, thanks. The ability to rotate is a big plus. Glad to hear no clearance issues.

I'm slated to do a COTA event in February--can't wait.

How do you like the NT01's?

The NT01s are the 3rd tire I've used. Started with R888's (Good) then tried some continental scrubs (waste of money, corded in 2 sessions). So far the NT01's are great. Real even wear, very predictable at the limit with a very audible warning, plus they become a 2 groove slick once they wear down. prefect sizing for the car too.

ForumRunner_20131223_185817.png

I used to run Yokohama AO32R's on an E39 M5 sedan and they exhibited similar characteristics. Audible and predictable as they approached their limits.

BTW, nice evidence of the Gold Caliper Club, flyingv!! What disks are you running up front? My factory originals are approaching end-of-life-cycle, so I figure I can buy the replacements before my track weekend. Thx.

They're replacement disc's for the 2pc brembos. Saves a couple bucks and they are slotted and cryo treated. Got them through ben at weaponX

ForumRunner_20131227_072355.png

Here's a picture from Buttonwillow last weekend.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,
    We have done quite a few cars with the square setup. You shouldn't have any issues with lowering springs and clearance as we typically run a lot of the cars on coilovers.

This is an older car we built that has the square setup on OEM wheels with a full coilover setup. No issues with rubbing under full compression or suspension travel.

In terms of overall performance with the square setup, you will most likely really notice the much improved turn in and response. It's amazing to feel the additional response you get with the wider 295 tire in the front.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonaddict View Post
    So I did the Eibach spring deal about a year ago and absolutely love it.

Now I'm planning for some road course excursions and am contemplating a dedicated track wheel/tire combo to optimize performance/wear and save my expensive PSS street rubber.

Do any of you run a square track set-up (I'm considering 275/40-R18 NT01's or R888's all around on the 18x9.5/40 TSW Nurburgring or Interlagos wheels) with lowering springs? Any issues of rubbing up front? Performance impressions?

Thanks in advance.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonaddict View Post
    I'm slated to do a COTA event in February--can't wait.
    What organization is running @ COTA?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingv View Post
    The NT01s are the 3rd tire I've used. Started with R888's (Good) then tried some continental scrubs (waste of money, corded in 2 sessions).
    That's a bummer about the GAC scrubs. Everyone else I know that has tried them (myself included) has had great luck with them. I've done a couple 2-day events on them and they still have plenty of life left (based on the wear indicators).
    CVP33 and Junior1 like this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    That's a bummer about the GAC scrubs. Everyone else I know that has tried them (myself included) has had great luck with them. I've done a couple 2-day events on them and they still have plenty of life left (based on the wear indicators).
    Same here. I ran the Continentals under a 4,444 pound SRT8, 2 days, 14 - 30 minutes sessions. Still had plenty of tread left and no uneven wear issues. I plan on running them on the V as well.

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

http://www.mvptracktime.com/index.html

These guys run there in Feb. I've run a bunch of their events.

I run 18" square TSW Nurbergrings and 275/35R18 Toyo R888 tires. Rotating helps get extra mileage out of them for sure.

I'm looking at the turkey trot. Need to run Road Atlanta before I'm too old.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    You've never been? If I was where you were, I'd be living at VIR and RA...

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    Do it! Great track! I'm getting through my bucket list of tracks. On the east coast, Watkins Glenn and Sebring are still on my list. Then there is the west coast

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    You've never been? If I was where you were, I'd be living at VIR and RA...
    Yeah, VIR is my home track, been 3 times. RA is 15 miles from my Brother's house. He kept telling me I needed to go there. I watched a few track videos looks like a fun track!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.