Sand Bags in my V"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Sand Bags in my V" in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hello V community, Yesterday my area got hit with about 6 to 7 inches of snow in upstate New york. ...
    dnevels is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V wagon

Sand Bags in my V"

Hello V community,
    Yesterday my area got hit with about 6 to 7 inches of snow in upstate New york.
    I already equipped my V-wagon with Blizzack LM-60 winter tires and my rear end still slide around a little so I took the next step which was something my neighbor did. He bought seven 50 pound bags to weigh his back end down of his Camaro SS . As of now i have 360 Lbs in my wagon and she moves like a Tank hardly any sliding of the back end. My question is has anyone else tried this and is ok for the suspension on a short term bases.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: Sand Bags in my V"

If you read the pressure/loading sticker on the door, you can probably add around 1000# of weight for the max. Just make sure to put more air in the tires too. If I had a wagon, I'd have a fork lift put a pallet with 700# on it, and you'd still have enough load capacity left for a few people!

Slizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 RSM CTS-V Wagon
    I know I have less power than you (G8 GT), but I also have quite a bit less weight. I have no issues with my car in the snow with my Micheline X-Ice Xi2s. Never really have to do 2nd gear starts, and don't slide around too much. Also, this is on 225mm wide tires all around (under tired for winter).

I live in Central CT by the way.

With around 2000 LBS or more over the rear wheels honestly you shouldn't have that bad of traction issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
    I know I have less power than you (G8 GT), but I also have quite a bit less weight. I have no issues with my car in the snow with my Micheline X-Ice Xi2s. Never really have to do 2nd gear starts, and don't slide around too much. Also, this is on 225mm wide tires all around (under tired for winter).

I live in Central CT by the way.

With around 2000 LBS or more over the rear wheels honestly you shouldn't have that bad of traction issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    Damn, you have the lightest g8 on earth

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

they are a couple hundred pounds apart

mr weather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

What is the weight distribution of a V? I'm guessing it's a little snout heavy. My G8 (V6) was almost 50/50 and I had no problems in the snow using undersized (225) winter tires.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

I had a G8 GT then the V, and both were darn near perfectly balanced on wheel scales. My V was only 50# more in the front; 2150#F/2200#R. BUT, I have a trailer hitch, full-size spare, and a bunch of other weight in my trunk. An easy 100+# I'd guess. I also used the 225s in winter on the G8, and it dug just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto View Post
    Damn, you have the lightest g8 on earth
    Come on now, the math is easy.

4000LBS vehicle.
    4 wheels.
    I think you can guess about how much weight is over each wheel on a car that is near 50/50 weight distribution....

The one odd quirk with the G8 was while it's great that the battery is in the trunk to help weight distribution, since it's really a Holden Commodore the battery is on the wrong side.

Quote Originally Posted by mr weather View Post
    The one odd quirk with the G8 was while it's great that the battery is in the trunk to help weight distribution, since it's really a Holden Commodore the battery is on the wrong side.
    Not really when you think about it. In Australia the drive sits on the right side of the car, the battery sits on the left to offset the weight of the driver somewhat.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    The one odd quirk with the G8 was while it's great that the battery is in the trunk to help weight distribution
    Also keeps it away from engine heat which kills batteries. A lot of newer cars are built this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
    Not really when you think about it. In Australia the drive sits on the right side of the car, the battery sits on the left to offset the weight of the driver somewhat.
    I was trying subtle humour but I guess I failed. The point was that the battery should be on the right side for North American cars but since the G8 was an .AU export it's on the left (opposite the driver).

And yes, I know why batteries are showing up in the trunk more and more: heat. Although I'm guessing space is another reason as engine bays get smaller and more crowded.

I was trying subtle humour but I guess I failed. The point was that the battery should be on the right side for North American cars but since the G8 was an .AU export it's on the left (opposite the driver).

And yes, I know why batteries are showing up in the trunk more and more: heat. Although I'm guessing space is another reason as engine bays get smaller and more crowded.
    True, however when you look under the hood of the G8 there's quite a bit of room there. Same goes with the CTS-V, however there's all that plastic covering everything and prohibiting you from getting a good view.

Only real "issue" otherwise is how far back the motor sits in the engine bay; makes it a little more difficult to get to those rear 2 plugs. But I'll take the space and weight savings of a good OHV motor over one of those "fancy" OHC motors.

RocketSled666 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V

Doing this makes a car very tail heavy. That can be a problem when the rear end does start to slide. Cars with a rearward weight distribution tend to swap ends pretty easily (Porsche 911s are the classic example). If you really want to weigh the car down for traction, you should throw the ballast on the floor in the back seat, and try and get the extra mass as close to the car's center of gravity as possible.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

To reply directly to the OP: I am entering winter 2 with my V wagon. The only extra weight I have in the rear is my spare tire. I have no issues whatsoever with driving in the snow. While the wagon can handle 360 pounds in the rear, maybe you don't need that much. My spare wheel/tire setup weighs probably less than 50 pounds. Are you running narrow tires in the rear? That would help as well. I use a square 255 40 19 set of Blizzaks on stock rims.

PS F/R weight ratio for the wagon is 51/49 according to Cadillac....better than the sedan.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.