AirAid wet or dry filter type and why?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, AirAid wet or dry filter type and why? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; They offer the intake with a dry or oiled filter type. Whats the advantage of one over the other? Anything ...
    RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

AirAid wet or dry filter type and why?

They offer the intake with a dry or oiled filter type. Whats the advantage of one over the other? Anything or just go green!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

Re: AirAid wet or dry filter type and why?

Oiled type: The "holes" that the air flows through are larger than the dry. The oiled type relies on the static charge of the oil to attract dust/dirt particles to the filter and stay there while the air flows through the large hole.

Pro: more air.

Con: How much oil is on there??? Too little and dirt won't get attracted to the filter and go into your motor. Too much and oil will leak off and fly onto your MAF sensor and severely mess up your MAF and cleaning the MAF may not work and then you'll need a new MAF. Then you get fed up and put your stock airbox and stock paper filter back on.

So when you clean your filter and re-oil it, the question in your head is, "Did I use enough oil? Well better safe than sorry.", and you use too much oil.

So some people may chime in and say "I've been using an oiled filter for 15 years and 250K miles and I never had a problem.". And those who ruined their MAFs stay quiet.

My friends with their K&N's and their 4th gen Camaros and Trans-Ams back in the day ruined their MAFs.

I've used an oiled filter on my turbodiesel VW Rabbit and it doesn't have a MAF so I didn't have to worry about it. But when it came time for a new one I just went with a dry so I wouldn't have to worry about oiling it.

BUT WAIT!!!!!!! Some people might chime in and say they read that some professional laboratory tested Brand X dry filter vs Brand Y oiled filter and that the dry flowed more air and trapped more dirt than the oiled.

So until someone tests the exact part number dry filter vs an exact part number oiled filter we won't truly know.

My vote / my 2 cents = dry

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    +1 dry.

rjh
    rjh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 ctsv coupe

I have used Airaid synthamax dry filters on both my current 2012 CTSV and my previous Shelby and been very happy with them. It washes with mild soap and dries quickly. They even made a blue one for my current car as it is opulent blue. Good guys and a good product. Enjoy your car no matter what you use.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

If you watch K&N's video, they debunk the "oil ruining the MAF theory". I have mine off regularly, and have never had a bit of oil in the intake tube, but clean the MAF just in case.

Marylandspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Oiled filter last much much longer and hold up to frequent cleanings better. Feel free to call us if you have any questions!

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

The dry cones don't cost that much. I'll clean it once and buy a new one the next time. Minimal cost and no oil to F around with.

iVwishing is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've always used the K&N oil type because there wasn't really any other options until a few years ago. I thought I try the washable dry type this time simply because it doesn't require buying the cleaner and re-oiling kit.

citori01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

For the oil type the best thing to do after washing and drying is to spray the filter a little light and give it 30 min. then take a look at the filter and u will see if there are a few spots need a little more oil and then u just mist those areas after all the wicking has been established from the first spray of oil. That has seemed to work on our '09 with no failed MAF's.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.