Recommended suspension geometry settings to improve straightline stability
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Recommended suspension geometry settings to improve straightline stability in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hi, I am looking for some advice to help improve the straight line stability of my stock 2013 V sedan. ...
    gregs v is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Recommended suspension geometry settings to improve straightline stability

Hi, I am looking for some advice to help improve the straight line stability of my stock 2013 V sedan.

If I request the dealership to increase/ introduce negative camber of the front wheels will that help with straight line stability, or should I be looking to tweak the toe in of the front or rear? Currently the cars alignment is within GM spec.

I am also hoping to make the car more positive to changes in direction when entering a corner, which I understand maybe counter to my original request, but hopefully a you know of a good compromise setting that can bridge the gap.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

matt116 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V Blackdiamond coupe
    D3 comp springs did the trick for me.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: Recommended suspension geometry settings to improve straightline stability

D3 comp springs here to. Even before them though, I had zero issues at any tracks, from the short ones to Road America. Why do you need to change anything?

joesuf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan
    Go get your car aligned by a performance shop. Cost me about a hundred bucks and shaved three seconds off my lap times. It sounds like you want a little more negative camber, but if you give a good shop your description they will know what to do.

----------

I had a performance alignment done by Auto Glitz in Hollywood FL. I think stock has a little negative camber but now I'm at 1.8 degrees and I'm 3 seconds faster at Homestead. Cost was a little over a hundred bucks.

Fwiw I went back to Auto Glitz today looking for more negative camber and was told no, at least not easily or without a kit. There is a slot for the bolt that controls camber and -1.8 in the front maxes it out.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Are you doing this for any specific reason? Track or just to make it a more enjoyable car?

joesuf Any videos of you at the track?

gregs v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks for the replies.

To answer your question, this is for road use where I am trying to dial out some understeer that the car suffers from. I am looking for improved turn in and mid corner front end grip. I can deal with the current set up, by changing my entry point and throttle, but if there is an easy way to improve the setup without pulling the car apart, that would be great. Just want to ensure I am getting the best out of this beast.

What has surprises me is how sensitive the car is to cross winds; in winds higher than 12mph it can be a hand full at interstate speeds. Is this common on all V sedans?

Greg, the additional camber does help with the under steer even on the street. Honestly I've had the car over 140 and haven't noticed and problems with crosswinds.

SecretWeapon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Sedan, M6, Silver/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by gregs v View Post
    What has surprises me is how sensitive the car is to cross winds; in winds higher than 12mph it can be a hand full at interstate speeds. Is this common on all V sedans?
    Greetings from Houston. I just finished driving the Texas Mile about ten days ago at fairly high speeds. One day we had cross winds gusting between 8 and 12 mph. Scared the crap out of me and it was a major fight to keep the car under control. You are not halucinating about the effect of the crosswind on the car. The next day in a headwind the car was pretty stable. having said that, I am not sure my alignment is spot on. I changed wheel and tire setup to race and was not aligned for that setup. Also, multiple other drivers in CTS V's had the same complaint from stock to highly modified. One of them commented that last March at the Mile he ran about 170 with a tailwind and could have used two fingers to steer the whole time. This October, he had to have two hands on the wheel and was fighting it as well because of the crosswind and at a lower speed. The consensus was that additional toe in was the way to handle the crosswind issue. How much toe in, I do not know.

FTT843 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

-toe in the rear will help stability but it will increase the effects of under steer. -camber aids in maintaing full contact on the outside/loaded tire as the weight shifts to the that side of the car durring a turn.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.