Looking at buying a 2010 CTS-V ....need your opinions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Looking at buying a 2010 CTS-V ....need your opinions in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So I am in the market to possibly pickup a 2010 CTS-V.Looking to trade in my 08 SRT8 Jeep. Been ...
    09CTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Looking at buying a 2010 CTS-V ....need your opinions

So I am in the market to possibly pickup a 2010 CTS-V.Looking to trade in my 08 SRT8 Jeep. Been following the CTS-V since I was invited to attend the private track event at Monticello Raceway back in 09. Now I think its time if I can find the write one and price. I found a 2010 with 55k miles on it. My question is how are they holding up with miles? Is this a safe number with life left to live. What should I look for to know if its been modded before or any other things to watch out for? I like the car but dont want to buy it and start having to dump money into it because it starts following apart. My future mods would be CAI, upper and lower, 160 state, 100 mm idler and a good tune with axle back exhaust. Not looking to go 9's but high 10's low , 11's would be expected. From what I can read and see seems these cars are pretty stout.

What are differences between 09-10? Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: Looking at buying a 2010 CTS-V ....need your opinions

No difference as far as I know. They seem pretty bullet-prof so far too, with reasonable modifications. How much will you drive it too? I would make dang sure, there aren't any "hidden" modifications that may cause you grief after the sale. Have them write that in the contract also; that it is stock.

Good call.

I drive it like 3-4000 miles per year probably max

Karch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.

Rain sense wipers in 09, and navigation optional in 09.

Oh, and 2010's are faster and nicer.

fastpharmd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan

I traded in my 2007 GC SRT8 with magnacharger for a 2009 CTS-V A6 sedan. Look for obvious stuff (curbed wheels, dents, paint defects, scratches on interior trim, etc.) and for solidity of the seats, listen to the engine at idle for rattling noise, try to listen for noise from the rear end on low speed turns especially when the car is cold, listen for creaking from the sunroof (if installed) when driving over uneven surfaces, make sure transmission shifts smoothly under part throttle and doesn't flare between gears.

As far as making the trade you are looking at, I have mixed opinions. I think the Jeep looks beefier, and I loved the idiotproof traction on most any street, even with a supercharger. However, anything past 60mph and it's all CTS-V, and the way the caddy pulls from 40-60 up through 140 or so is just insane, even stock. Outside of performance, there really isn't a comparision, the ride, interior, and overall feel of quality goes to the caddy.

SO I found a 2010 CTS V finally and put a deposit down today. Next week 2 guys are coming to look at my 2008 GC SRT8 Vortech to buy it. If they ddont dealer is taking it in as a trade.

So if I find any of the symptoms what does it mean? Is it a deal breaker or tell him I need a credit. I have heard of the rattle which just means the isolater is bad and a solid isolator solves that right? Anything else to watch for? I am driving over 10 hours one way to get my CTS V so I want to be sure this thing is right and wasnt abused. Its got 55k miles on it. Any info much appreciated.

I loved my GC SRT8 and it was fast as hell up to 60 or 80 but currently im hitting a wall at 11.5 or 11.7 that is the most I can get out of it before diving in hardcore and replacing tranny, forging motor. Dumping 10k into it to get .5 more seems silly . Id rather just dump that into a CTS V. Much easier and cheaper to mod and seems to be much more stout from what I hear.

Ever since I got invited by GM to Monticello Race Track to drive the new 09 CTS V on the road course I wanted one. I had a C6 Z06 at the time . Two different cars but man that CTS V was incredible through the corners and pulled like a freight train!

the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I just got off the road course. I passed every car out there, including corvette's, BMW's, Porsches, whatever. And I run the V, 100% stock, and then drive it home, while these guys are loading their trailers. And I am a former Corvette owner. I'd never go back to a Vette. The V is a gentlemens car, since I'm getting older.

Quote Originally Posted by the blur View Post
    I just got off the road course. I passed every car out there, including corvette's, BMW's, Porsches, whatever. And I run the V, 100% stock, and then drive it home, while these guys are loading their trailers. And I am a former Corvette owner. I'd never go back to a Vette. The V is a gentlemens car, since I'm getting older.
    Sounds like my scenario " getting older" lol. I think im still interested in speed and performance but want the luxury and refinement to go with it. I just sold my 03 Dodge Ram Diesel lifted and chipped , intake , exhaust with 35 inch tires. Was a monster and huffed like a freight train. Got tired of the bouncy ride and loud exhaust etc . So I went with a 2011 Chevy Silverado Diesel LTZ. Thing drives like a Caddy and tows more then my dodge did bone stock without breaking a sweat and with comfort. Gotta love GM products! I own 3 GM's

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by 09CTSV
    SO I found a 2010 CTS V finally and put a deposit down today. Next week 2 guys are coming to look at my 2008 GC SRT8 Vortech to buy it. If they ddont dealer is taking it in as a trade. So if I find any of the symptoms what does it mean? Is it a deal breaker or tell him I need a credit. I have heard of the rattle which just means the isolater is bad and a solid isolator solves that right? Anything else to watch for? I am driving over 10 hours one way to get my CTS V so I want to be sure this thing is right and wasnt abused. Its got 55k miles on it. Any info much appreciated. I loved my GC SRT8 and it was fast as hell up to 60 or 80 but currently im hitting a wall at 11.5 or 11.7 that is the most I can get out of it before diving in hardcore and replacing tranny, forging motor. Dumping 10k into it to get .5 more seems silly . Id rather just dump that into a CTS V. Much easier and cheaper to mod and seems to be much more stout from what I hear. Ever since I got invited by GM to Monticello Race Track to drive the new 09 CTS V on the road course I wanted one. I had a C6 Z06 at the time . Two different cars but man that CTS V was incredible through the corners and pulled like a freight train!
    The rattle doesn't mean it's "broken", per se. It's designed to isolate cabin noise but there are extreme cases where GM has finally admitted the rattle is excessive and is replacing units. Many of us have had a replacement. Me included.

When I was actually test driving mine, I googled the rattling supercharger and determined it to be "normal". It just worsened over time.

Wicked93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 cts v

The supercharger noise is the spring behind the pulley. Just get a solid spacer from lingenfelter and noise will disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    The rattle doesn't mean it's "broken", per se. It's designed to isolate cabin noise but there are extreme cases where GM has finally admitted the rattle is excessive and is replacing units. Many of us have had a replacement. Me included.

When I was actually test driving mine, I googled the rattling supercharger and determined it to be "normal". It just worsened over time.
    That's reassuring. Guess there are more units replaced then i thought.

Being that you have a new unit do you still think its necessary to replace the isolator with a solid one or have they re engineered the new ones ?

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    They haven't changed the unit a bit. This one rattles now but not nearly as much. It's almost tolerable but it's a new unit so I'll take it!

Whether replacing the isolator is worth it is up to you. It'll void a warranty but if the car's out of warranty anyway might as well go for it.

Gotcha

Im going for the car. It was just replaced less than 500 miles ago done by GM dealer and still has remaining waranty for 21 more months!. Hopefully I am getting it this coming weekend. Just waiting for them to get to me once it goes through there service department and checks out.

So got the 2010. Threw on air raid, bb exhaust and diablo tune for now.

Right now its sleeping in my shop for winter but spring is fast approaching. Looking to do lower pulley, injectors, drag radials and tune and see where I end up. I'd like to get low low 11's or even high 10s. Any other suggestions ?

2010 V-MAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V

Do yourself a favor and have the rear end checked out. ours blew out in our 2010 with only like 6000 miles on the car. Traded it for the 2012 and drove 2 years no issue and now just bought the 2013

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.