High-temp brake fluid? diff fluid?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DCV
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, High-temp brake fluid? diff fluid? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ...
    Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

High-temp brake fluid? diff fluid?

The manual says:

For competitive driving, it is
    recommended that the brake fluid
    be replaced with a high performance
    brake fluid that has a dry boiling
    point greater than 279°C (534°F).
    After conversion to the high
    performance brake fluid, follow the
    brake fluid service
    recommendations outlined by the
    fluid manufacturer.

Okay, a hot run over the Sierras isn't hot laps on the track, but it's in the neighborhood.

Is there any downside to switching to a higher-temperature brake fluid?
    What do you recommend?

What about diff fluid? Should I upgrade it, or change it, or just check it? I'm up to 2500 miles, and I haven't really wrung it out properly yet, just a few opportunistic acceleration blasts. I did a couple of half-hour 6/10ths twisty sessions back at the 800 mile mark.

The V's first road trip starts in three weeks -- to Glacier National Park and back, about 2500 miles total.

.Jinx

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Snotty Boom Body is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 V Coupe Thunder Gray
    The rear end fluid is to easy to change to not do it. 1.5 quarts of 75w90 gear oil and a bottle of GM rear diff additive just to make sure and your done. A half hour job including walking to the fridge twice to get beer.

The brake fluid can be upgraded to a Dot 4 with a good flush the only down side I think is that Dot 4 absorbs water quicker than Dot 3 that's why they tell you to follow the brake fluid manufacturers recommended change interval which will be shorter than OEM.
    So you'll have to do a quick flush every year or two with the upgraded fluid.

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

Re: High-temp brake fluid? diff fluid?

I run Castrol SRF. Never boiled at the track. For the diff, any quality full synthetic. I run amsoil. My diff used to overheat on track days so I added a diff cooler. Also doubles capacity for diff fluid. I changed diff fluid early and found it was a little low. Also, no harm running better brake fluid...just a little damage to the wallet. I flush at least once a year usually twice.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Motul RBF600 is also good high temp brake fluid to use. I use it in my KTM RC8R and have used it in other bikes and cars like my old Nismo Z, which had lots of brake issues using stock fluid...as noted when one got wadded in the lighting Lap.
    thebigjimsho likes this.

V Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon-Raven Black, manual, satin graphite wheels

While Castrol SRF is a great fluid, it is ungodly expensive. The Motul is a great high temp fluid that I ran in my Lightning with great results. I have also run the ATE Super Blue in the Lightning, Cobalt SS, and our Lemons E30. The Super Blue is a great fluid and has the added bonus of being a different color so there is no doubt when you have all the original fluid bled out and new fluid through everything.

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

Quote Originally Posted by V Wagon View Post
    While Castrol SRF is a great fluid, it is ungodly expensive. The Motul is a great high temp fluid that I ran in my Lightning with great results. I have also run the ATE Super Blue in the Lightning, Cobalt SS, and our Lemons E30. The Super Blue is a great fluid and has the added bonus of being a different color so there is no doubt when you have all the original fluid bled out and new fluid through everything.
    +1 on the ATE. Used to run alternating Blue and Gold. Made it dummy proof to make sure you got the old fluid out. Good for me The Castrol is expensive. Ran the Motul 600 for years in my dirtbikes. Good stuff and quite a bit cheaper.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Motul 600 and Amsoil diff fluid for my ole V...

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

What's the spec for the factory fluid?

Does anyone know the spec for the factory fluid?

Bueller is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Is two quarts enough for the diff? How many of those small bottles of RBF600 for a full brake fluid change?

----------

I searched and found this thread but didn't see this was in the 09-14 section. I have a V1. I don't want to start another thread, I'm sure someone can answer for me. Thanks.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Same answer for both. 2 small bottles of Motul. 2 liters of diff fluid...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.