Looking for upgrade tips: Diff Cooler, Valvetrain for 400+ extra RPMs, POWER (Vdieo!)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Looking for upgrade tips: Diff Cooler, Valvetrain for 400+ extra RPMs, POWER (Vdieo!) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hey All. another one of these posts. Yes, Ive done a lot of searching, and boy opinions are all over ...
    zeeboid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Wagon, Escalade ESV

Looking for upgrade tips: Diff Cooler, Valvetrain for 400+ extra RPMs, POWER (Vdieo!)

Hey All. another one of these posts. Yes, Ive done a lot of searching, and boy opinions are all over the place on some of this stuff.

On some recent track time I found myself wanting some upgrades... go figure right?

My Vagon at Brainerd International Speedway in Minnesota:

1. Diff Cooler. yeah total disappointment. had to end the track day early caus of this.

I've seen the Wait4Me, d3, OEM... I rather like not running the cooler to the front, to save space for an upgraded H/E. Thoughts?

2. Valvetrain upgrades. I would love an extra 400+ RPMs. shifting right before braking for a turn only to downshift sucks. What are people running for this? Lightweight retainers, heavier springs, titanium valves/pushrods? I would be up for a camshaft while I'm at it. The ZR1 cam seams to be the cam of choice. Thoughts? I can't find a lot on valvetrain upgrades. cost wise, is one better off with complete heads?

3. MOAR POWER!
    Some of this seams easy:
    Headers
    Exhaust (Though I'm not sure if I love or hate the quietness of the car)
    Lower 9.5" Pully
    CAI
    H/E
    Injectors
    ECU Tune
    Thoughts?

1000860_10201033194086556_488178248_n.jpg

Ok, and I have a wonderful wife who I promised no-more car stuff after I purchased this... so cost wise..... yeah. but I don't mind spreading it out, I want to do it right.

Ready... GO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: Looking for upgrade tips: Diff Cooler, Valvetrain for 400+ extra RPMs, POWER (Vdi

Make sure the differential is actually too hot by using a laser temp gun. I can't see why some guys get it so quick, and others nothing. I've been tracking in the 100s and never had a problem there.

Re: Looking for upgrade tips: Diff Cooler, Valvetrain for 400+ extra RPMs, POWER (Vdi

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    Make sure the differential is actually too hot by using a laser temp gun. I can't see why some guys get it so quick, and others nothing. I've been tracking in the 100s and never had a problem there.
    Yeah.... It was "spraying gear oil out of the diff and smoking" hot.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo
    Whoever is 'tracking' is the variable not individual diffs. Put O'Connell or Pilgrim in my car and they'll overheat the diff in two laps. If I drive it, it may take two sessions.

flyingv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V 6MT
    Diff cooler is a must. The weaponx one goes on top of the crash bumper and doesn't interfere with any of the upgraded hx's FYI. Works great.

V locity is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, 730 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst

How much power are you looking for?

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Not to be mean and i hope this comes off sounding as advice but from that video i think a driver mod would do you better. Would help with the shift points better and getting more out of the car. Saying this as i have had better luck with shift points when i did the driver mod and still upgrading the driver lol.

Quote Originally Posted by V locity View Post
    How much power are you looking for?
    eh... I don't have a number in mind. a nice first round set of modifications that a 25mn of track time won't be too much for to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by odla View Post
    Not to be mean and i hope this comes off sounding as advice but from that video i think a driver mod would do you better. Would help with the shift points better and getting more out of the car. Saying this as i have had better luck with shift points when i did the driver mod and still upgrading the driver lol.
    I read you. that was my first time at that track, and first time behind the wheel of the car. there are a couple turns where shifting earlier was easier then shifting in a turn. I plan to go more, hence this discussion. the diff cooler is a given... raising the revs and the supporting mods behind that is the hardest info to find. Driver mods yeah, but car mods are fun too.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Although I am a stickler for doing things right - I will say I have been surprised at the factory redline of 6200 RPM.

A comparable valvetrain in the LS3 redlines at 6600. The LSA crate motor - the engine that came in your car - is sold separately by GMPP and gives a recommended redline of also... 6600 RPM. But the super sweet LS9 has a hell of a lot more premium parts in it and also stops at 6600 RPM from the factory?

Honestly, I suspect you could just tune the car for 6500 easily and never have a problem. But to be a little extra retentive, and in preparation for the abuse you'll surely unleash on it - I'd suggest calling up a reputable LS_ shop like Lingenfelter, Hennessey, Livernois, etc and seeing what they recommend for springs. It might be hard to get a firm quote, but I think you're better off to err on the side of more spring (rather than too little) for your application.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,

Good to see another V hitting the track. Seems like a lot of the major answers have already been given. We will offer some insight from our end.

In terms of the diff cooler. Certainly needed on these cars. Although driving style will typically determine when the "over heat diff" light comes on, it is virtually a foregone conclusion that it will turn on. Agree with not running the lines to the front for a diff cooler as you want to reduce the chances for lines to get snagged or caught and losing all of your fluids. We have a great diff cooler option that is the most proven out of all the offerings.

Valvetrain upgrades. If you are going to increase the revs you will want to look at a rocker bearing upgrade and get rid of the needle bearings. In addition to that we would install dual valve springs with new retainers. Keep in mind though if you add more power & torque you can always short shift and be in a desired RPM range... But those would be the recommendations when we have customers ask for additional RPM.

More power.... We can cover you on all of those components. Please give us a call and we can help you map out a build of materials that will deliver exactly what you are looking for. We have a huge selection of suspension modifications as well. www.d3groupinc.com.

Good luck with everything and have fun at the track. Don't forget to make sure your air bag fuse is pulled while tracking the car.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.